1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Overclocker
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
GIGABYTE USA
4 days ago
Hi guys, just wanted to pop-in and let everyone know we watched the video and love the discussion in the comments. Stephen was correct, we want your input in shaping our BIOS policies because at the end of the day we make our products for you guys! To that end we created a FAQ on our forums that covers: what out policy is, why we implement it the way we do (spoiler: we agree default is default), and to create transparency. If you guys have any questions you can always find me on our forums. - Matt
This is very interesting. My question is if MCE can still be used with a stable OC with it off?

Cliffs:
Leaving MCE in the Bios on Auto/Enable, it OC's stock clocks of Intel CPU's 200-300MHz higher then turbo.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I feel that Betteridge's law applies here.

MCE should always be a feature that is enabled by the user. 4.7GHz with auto voltage is just far too much heat to ensure that everyone can use their new motherboard/CPU safely.

·
Overclocker
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalOne View Post

I feel that Betteridge's law applies here.

MCE should always be a feature that is enabled by the user. 4.7GHz with auto voltage is just far too much heat to ensure that everyone can use their new motherboard/CPU safely.
Funny how you get a warning about it when you enable XMP Profile.

I have to wonder how many people, even here, know about it and have it enabled or left to auto even with their current OC.
Oh, and just to be clear for other readers...this is not specific to Coffe Lake. This goes back to:
Kabylake
Skylake
Broadwell
Haswell
Ivy Bridge
Sandy Bridge
etc.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
No it shouldn't be enabled by default. Not everyone can deal with those temps. Whatever meddles with hardware and make it run beyond and below from what is officially rated shouldn't be on by default.

·
Time Traveller
1,245 Posts
AdoredTV at his best
thumb.gif

And he raises pertinent questions, as usual. Coffee Lake may have started a bumpy road travel.

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts

·
Iconoclast
31,001 Posts
It shouldn't be enabled by default for the simple fact that it runs the part out of spec.

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

There's also the issue all cooling is not alike.
Yet not a single motherboard manufacturer enables XMP by default since every reviewer does check ram speed on benchmarks even though default XMP on would benefit consumers
rolleyes.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: LAKEINTEL

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am mostly basing my opinion on the gamersnexus video so here it goes: the performance is not really that big compared to the pretty significant bump in power consumption and considering that a lot of people are still on intel stock coolers as they are supposed to be enough for stock that may cause throttling and actually worse performance.

This alone is a good reason not to enable it. This is however not all, it also seems to run at least somewhat unstable and honestly that should never be the default state out of the box.

If motherboard manufacturers managed to run it stable and the extra power consumption would not be that big, sure enabled it but that is not the case here.

As for xmp on my ivy bridge setup xmp was actually not fully stable. I don't know if my gskill sniper memory is just badly binned or I got otherwise unlucky but I really could only run it at 1866 after loosening the timings a bit. Now imagine people mixing and matching memory and you will have a very good reason not to enable it by default.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Since most of the sites I read or channels I watch do Overclock sections. You should see some really skewed "stock" scores that will then even out when "over clocked" to the same speed. If there is still skew when Overclocked... I wonder how many people talking about MCE have then gone to check what might be going on with base clock.

I have one Z170 board for example that runs my CPU a minimum of 50MHz higher than all my other boards with the same exact settings. Simply because even manually setting to 100 or 100.x etc it will not stay where it should. I realize this might not be by design but it would certainly throw the scores off a bit.

·
100+ fps
2,466 Posts
MCE should be off by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientist View Post

XMP should definitely be off by default. Not all ram kits even POST with their stated XMP profiles, let alone run stable
I have yet to experience this.. And I build rigs all the time.. On which modules have you experienced this, sounds more like a board issue.

·
Overclocker
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wonder if manufactures like Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, Evga, ARock will provide a bios update to set it to disable at some future point?

Update review with MCE off.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Yeah, probably shouldn't be on by default... When I put together my Roided Midgit together I ran it on stock cooling for a few days before switching out heatsinks, and I had terrible temperatures and some instability. It ran on something like 1.3 volts out of the box.

·
Iconoclast
31,001 Posts
Just as with MCE, XMP should be off because most that have them have them because they are running beyond JEDEC specs, which is almost always also out of spec for the processors involved. Often, the profiles will work fine, just like XMP...still out of spec though, and still overclocking something.

Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone posts motherboard benchmark results anymore. Unless something is seriously wrong, every board should perform within margin of error of every other using the same platform. It's a good diagnostic tool, but one should run the benches, and if anything is different, one should look for the problem, fix it, and make note of it in the review, rather than just posting pages of benchmark results.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post

I wonder if manufactures like Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, Evga, ARock will provide a bios update to set it to disable at some future point?

Update review with MCE off.
I don't think boards like gigabyte have it on or auto by default. But I see what your saying nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Guess which who's running stock and who's running overclocked:

https://us.hardware.info/reviews/7605/14/intel-z370-motherboards-round-up-17-times-coffee-lake-benchmarks-cpu

It's obviously why they're doing it too. I've seen more than one comment on how ASUS boards are better because they're on top of the benchmark charts.

Hell, OC3D dinged Gigabyte Gaming 7 for being slower than ASUS or MSI, and I'm fairly certain it's because ASUS and MSI overclocked the uncore by 700 MHz when enabling XMP.

I honestly can't say whether these vendor optimizations should be on or off. The hardware enthusiast says they should be off, but then I remember that most of my friends have never touched the BIOS... running stock with XMP-off on Z-boards and K-CPUs. Judging by the anecdotal head count of hardware nerds to regular PC gamers, there are a lot of people who would benefit from default-on motherboard shenanigans.

However, this should never have been an issue for reviews in the first place. If they got a sample from Intel, they have a reviewers guide with reference numbers on them. Nvidia, Intel, and AMD sends these guides out to not only point out the strengths of their new product, but also to provide a guidance of what to expect. When their CB15 numbers were higher than the guide, that was their hint that something was up.

·
Overclocker
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 21 Posts