4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,511 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Played the beta. Sadly small city size and pay to win always on drm cloud saving will disuade me from buying this game...amoung other little things.(no subway, no terraforming etc) But I really love everything else about this game.

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,980 Posts
Quote:
Honestly, this is not the game I wanted it to be, but it's not far from the game I expected EA to deliver. I think fundamentally, it feels like a very small game. It should be SimVillage, or SimTown perhaps.
Peter from Arstechnica
Quote:
Sounds like an incredibly realistic game to me: Pointless bureaucratic money grubbing keeps you from doing what is a plainly obvious good, citizens are never satisfied, things break for no reason, and you never have enough money. Pretty much a perfectly accurate depiction of American municipal government.
Pretty funny comment from Ars

One mans opinion. However, I was really hoping for the big, city design which apparently was never going to be the case, I was recently told. Oh well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
no subway = no way.

Clearly reviewers have not touched any of the original Simcity games. The same counts for some of you in here.

I thought that going from 1995 to 2013 would bring some attention to detail and scale. Clearly, I and many others were wrong.

Please guys, do not buy this game. Vote with your wallet.

·
PCMR
1,492 Posts
I was about to preorder but , no Save/Load ???? this thing single handed places a big question mark on my decision , than i read about all the dumbing down , small maps , no subways , no terraforming.
I don't mind always on DRM but those things are a deal breaker for me , oh well i will stick to SimCity 4 , it's just pity they made Sim City into some Sims' esque BS , leave it to EA to ruin perfectly good franchise.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solt View Post

no subway = no way.

Clearly reviewers have not touched any of the original Simcity games. The same counts for some of you in here.

I thought that going from 1995 to 2013 would bring some attention to detail and scale. Clearly, I and many others were wrong.

I've played them since the beginning. SimCity, 2000, 3000, and 4. 4 never meshed with me, it was all too abstracted. I much prefer the new SimCity.
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
5,308 Posts
People who were expecting SimCity 4.5 will be disappointed, like those who were expecting Battlefield 2.5 instead of Battlefield 3.

People who can see it as a new game in the franchise in its own right will judge it by its own merits/falls instead of comparing every ounce of it to previous games.

People who have not played SimCity before will most likely be happy with the game unless they just don't like the genre.

I won't read any of the reviews though as I've already played the beta and made my decision from my own experience with the game. Just need to find a way to get Origin to unlock my game on the 5th instead of the 8th....

VPN ¬_¬

·
Premium Member
16,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotDevil666 View Post

I was about to preorder but , no Save/Load ???? this thing single handed places a big question mark on my decision , than i read about all the dumbing down , small maps , no subways , no terraforming.
I don't mind always on DRM but those things are a deal breaker for me , oh well i will stick to SimCity 4 , it's just pity they made Sim City into some Sims' esque BS , leave it to EA to ruin perfectly good franchise.
I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it doesn't need save/load because it's all in the cloud and persistent so you don't actually need to save/load. Kind of like how whatever you do in OneNote is automatically saved.

·
Premium Member
5,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotDevil666 View Post

The game or gameplay has literally nothing to do with anything "Sims' esque".

At all.

"Dumbing down" is also not exactly something that can be liberally applied to the game.

Some things are more complex, some aren't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solt View Post

no subway = no way.

What about the many, many people bound to have their own opinions who actually like the game?

·
Amateur Games Dev
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it doesn't need save/load because it's all in the cloud and persistent so you don't actually need to save/load. Kind of like how whatever you do in OneNote is automatically saved.
The reason we want save/load is because it allows for us to build a basic city, then save it, and then use that one file to produce multiple variants, such as a pure industrial, or a port town, or a archotype, etc.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I was contemplating getting this, but after seeing how small the area is to build your city is in comparison to older Sim City games that's put me right off. No thanks, I shall save my money for something else.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post

The reason we want save/load is because it allows for us to build a basic city, then save it, and then use that one file to produce multiple variants, such as a pure industrial, or a port town, or a archotype, etc.
It seems that each plot in a region is unique (finite resource amounts, different RCI desirability values, different resource types) so this wouldn't really work anyway unless you have no interest in regions at all (in which case this Sim City game probably isn't for you). It will be sad that we can't call in a few meteor strikes then load-away the destruction though...

I'm already planning on playing a region with friends.
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
15,004 Posts
So they did indeed remove completely the local feature of the game...

Oh well, there goes my reaffirmation of buying it. And the city size is just pathetic.

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzleBoy View Post

People who were expecting SimCity 4.5 will be disappointed, like those who were expecting Battlefield 2.5 instead of Battlefield 3.

People who can see it as a new game in the franchise in its own right will judge it by its own merits/falls instead of comparing every ounce of it to previous games.

People who have not played SimCity before will most likely be happy with the game unless they just don't like the genre.

I won't read any of the reviews though as I've already played the beta and made my decision from my own experience with the game. Just need to find a way to get Origin to unlock my game on the 5th instead of the 8th....

VPN ¬_¬
I usually tend to agree with most of your posts, but it would appear that they've removed the very features from this new sim city that I really liked. (large maps, terraforming, subways)

As I said before, maybe I'll bite when it's on sale or when a expanded, gold edition comes out much later, but it seems a bit too "Sim Village"' or "Sim Town" as Ars Technica pointed out.

But as your rightly pointed out, I'm glad you're enjoying the game. If you like it, be happy to pay for it. There's nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post

I usually tend to agree with most of your posts, but it would appear that they've removed the very features from this new sim city that I really liked. (large maps, terraforming, subways)

As I said before, maybe I'll bite when it's on sale or when a expanded, gold edition comes out much later, but it seems a bit too "Sim Village"' or "Sim Town" as Ars Technica pointed out.

But as your rightly pointed out, I'm glad you're enjoying the game. If you like it, be happy to pay for it. There's nothing wrong with that.
I'll be taking a 16 city region to myself and treating it as one large city. What's called a city in this game is far from self-sufficient to the point where the game is built entirely around multi-city play. The 4 hours of beta last Wednesday where you could claim all 3 cities in the region and swap between them freely was far more interesting than the single hour beta where you could have a second city, but you barely had time to do anything if you didn't focus one.

The older games all had the same concept of building the suburbs before the main city, this one just enforces it by separating the suburbs into their own cities. Start with a gambling-focused city that does a little of everything and give it a large police/fire force, use that to fund a low income/industrial/power focused city downwind, now that' you've got a job market try to set up a residential/university town with water production, start a "downtown" focused on culture (includes the expo center) and medicine. Build the Arcology for massive a population boost and just keep going.

I won't really miss teraforming and subways don't have the extreme need since you do have the highways/railways between towns. The last beta showed me that the relation between region and city is a lot more intricate than older games and that significantly offsets the small individual cities.

·
Premium Member
5,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerVI View Post

Well then you are actually agreeing with me completely as I said those who were expecting SimCity 4.5 will probably be disappointed as its a re-make, not a sequel which is why they didn't call it SimCity 5.

Unless you look at it from the right angle, your expectations of the game will obviously lead to disappointment. Not to say that you don't have a right to be disappointed with how the game is overall, but it its own game in its own right.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.