Overclock.net banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Still here...
2,770 Posts
Another thing a lot of Win 10 users might not realize and that they might want to ensure is disabled, especially if they (e.g.) manage secure credentials in a file of some sort (by default, it appears to be disabled):

Enable or Disable Clipboard History in Windows 10

Not sure if copying and pasting info between such a list and a web page could end up storing that info somehow in a user's "cloud" clipboard.

·
WaterCooler
3,445 Posts
Glad my main rig is still on 8.1 Pro.

Windows 10 has caused nothing but driver problems on my laptop which had none of those problem on 8.1. Wish I could revert it.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
Only took 3 posts to get straight to the tin foil hat "so glad I'm using window 98 in a virtual Linux box" ppl.

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,499 Posts
Only took 3 posts to get straight to the tin foil hat "so glad I'm using window 98 in a virtual Linux box" ppl.
Still waiting for the brave one, still willing to admit using Windows 95 or even MS-DOS 3.2 :thumb: .

For myself, v1609 is the highest I'll go with Trojan 10.

Do not need anything higher than that, particularly when they start focusing on 'Controlling' and 'Monitoring' your experience from Redmond - directly.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Are we absolutely sure this is a bug and not a deliberate "feature"?

These days... one day you semi-take it as a joke, as it should be because as it stands you can't ever be too sure, but still, you're still having a giggle... then you read this:

https://betanews.com/2018/11/09/fix-for-the-windows-10-file-association-problem/

If your problem is the latter, the good news is Microsoft is working on a fix. The bad news is it doesn’t seem to be in a huge hurry to solve the problem.
This bug is a known issue caused by KB4464330 (OS Build 17763.55). Microsoft is working on a resolution and estimates a solution will be available in late November 2018.

Late November. Wonderful.

·
Super Moderator
15,087 Posts

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Sorry if this has been posted (probably has) but I found this out through some trial and error.

Right click on your file, go to "open with". Use "choose another app" and locate the app you want for the default app. Open it with that app. Once you've done that, your preferred app will now be in the "open with" menu. NOW you can set it as a default for that file. Not sure why that's a thing, but it works.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,100 Posts
Sooo that's why I couldn't replace the program associated with .txts from Notepad2 to Notepad++ about a week ago?

Interesting :D

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Still waiting for the brave one, still willing to admit using Windows 95 or even MS-DOS 3.2 :thumb: .

For myself, v1609 is the highest I'll go with Trojan 10.

Do not need anything higher than that, particularly when they start focusing on 'Controlling' and 'Monitoring' your experience from Redmond - directly.
Wish I had stopped at 1607. Everything worked flawlessly for me on that build and buggy ever since I updated.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
This is an intended feature to prevent browser and app hijacking . the registry will detect changes to default apps and switch them back if not changed in the correct way . I have been deploying default apps to all my 20 + sites without issue. Windows 10 changed the way you deploy default apps from group policy to the use of default appassociation.xml

Thank you. I knew this wasn't some random bug. So, simply put, they changed OS functionality and they didn't leave a clear alternative path. So, I guess they need to write something that blocks those registry values, and when someone wants to change those, it prompts a UAC or something before applying the info. The other option is for them to add an API in the .net framework to make those changes, and while that's probably the right way to do it, it basically breaks lots of apps.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Microsoft seems to be taking the "every other OS is good" model and adapting it to the W10 release schedule. It started out good but slowly Windows 10 has become sort of an encumbered dinosaur and we're about three years in so really its like MS released a crappy OS and will hopefully begin patching W10 back into a decent one over the next three.

·
Aren't this fancy!
7,215 Posts
Hopefully they have the OS in a bit better shape when I bring my gaming PC down to work to fix it. Win 10 self destructed over the past few years. The calculator (and any built in Win 10 App), start button don't work anymore. I disabled updates ages ago, so I'm not sure if random BSOD have killed it or what. I can still get around with right clicking the start button to get file explorer at least...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am running windows 10 pro October update 1809 17763.107 I actually have the restart for another update. I just tested this and I am able to choose Photoshop CC 2018 to open JPEGS as default and MPC-HC is still the default video program as before the update.

I ended up updating so I could use the latest Radeon drivers which had previously already had support for 1809. You can easily revert if you have problems just make sure you back up important files.

Edit: After updating I am now running 1809 17763.134

·
Registered
197 Posts
Another thing a lot of Win 10 users might not realize and that they might want to ensure is disabled, especially if they (e.g.) manage secure credentials in a file of some sort (by default, it appears to be disabled):

Enable or Disable Clipboard History in Windows 10

Not sure if copying and pasting info between such a list and a web page could end up storing that info somehow in a user's "cloud" clipboard.
Good thing it's disabled by default.

·
Registered
84 Posts
For now, you may use Command Prompt (as Admin) to associate extensions to specific app, e.g. .xml to VSCode:

PHP:
Assoc .xml=file
Ftype file="C:\Program Files\Microsoft VS Code\Code.exe" %1

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,091 Posts
Does this effect guys on the normal update schedule or the current business branch update schedule, one of my machines runs a copy of 10 Enterprise set to CBB updates.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts