Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna try out one of my tecs and wondering if vasoline will work the same? I use it on my car battery terminals so just curious.

·
Registered
633 Posts
In functionality yes basically the same. Vaseline however is much much harder to clean up if you need to rma and/or sell the board.

·
Banned
8,570 Posts
Vasoline much harder to clean than dielectric? LOL no way in hell. Vasoline cleans up in 5 minutes. Hair dryer plus a slight tip of the motherboard so gravity can do it's business and you have a clean board.

Yes, I'm an avid user of vasoline. *I'm fully aware that she has also said that*

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
Yes lube is the only way to go

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Vaseline can be a little runnier then di-electric when it gets hot, I use both though, just whatever I have at the time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I too use Vaseline...

Works awesome.

I'm using it with LN2 though... and covering the entire board.

Haven't tried cleanup yet... I've just left it on the board at all times.

I plan to try to clean one later this evening or tomorrow though... So I'll report back how easily it cleans up.

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
I hate cleaning that stuff off... I usually use liquid electrical tape now. It paints on and if you do a thick layer, it just peels off leaving the board looking brand new.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx View Post

I hate cleaning that stuff off... I usually use liquid electrical tape now. It paints on and if you do a thick layer, it just peels off leaving the board looking brand new.
How about the socket, I guess you cannot apply liquid electrical taper there. Still Vaseline(dielectric grease)?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrena View Post

How about the socket, I guess you cannot apply liquid electrical taper there. Still Vaseline(dielectric grease)?
Yah... It's kinda needed... I like to use let on the board and I use die electric grease since I have a lot of it... Vasaline will work just fine though
smile.gif
... And nice res btw
smile.gif
... 2 year old thread... Lol
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Quote:

I seal the socket up as best I can and do not put anything in there. Call me risky
eek.gif

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx View Post

I seal the socket up as best I can and do not put anything in there. Call me risky
eek.gif
As long as it works
biggrin.gif
I guess it is not intended for 24/7.

When I apply the dielectric grease/Vaseline, should I just put a film on the bottom of the CPU, then drop it into the socket?
I think this may be the correct approach since the CPU bottom is flat and pins are so fragile.
How do you guys do it?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Quote:

As long as it works
biggrin.gif
I guess it is not intended for 24/7.
When I apply the dielectric grease/Vaseline, should I just put a film on the bottom of the CPU, then drop it into the socket?
I think this may be the correct approach since the CPU bottom is flat and pins are so fragile.
How do you guys do it?
Pipe it into the socket and then press ur CPU in
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
if its too much it will just come out the sides of teh socket a little when you clam the chip down... not a big deal realy... you should check out all teh threads on insulation in the ln2 secion... they may help you get an idea
smile.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts