Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Another baller shape. Looks like a fuller EC2, fills your hand more and has more surface area on the sides.
There's a glossy white version too.

With this release and the previous Zygen, it makes me very interested to see what they do with their fully ambidextrous shape later this year. I haven't tried any of them yet and I'm not sure if I want to risk a purchase because I don't know what the coating feels like. Can anyone here who has a Vaxee mouse comment on the black coating?

Surprised no one else posted this here. Have y'all become lazy reddit users? haha

·
Registered
595 Posts
The NP-01 black is a mix between a glossy and a mat finish. Which is why many could not get used to it and they went with a more default coating on the AX (black matt). The NP-01 non-G certainly is closer to a glossy finish than a mat one. Based on that my guess is that the coating for the AX mat is very similar to other products on the market, the NP-01 will remain the kind-glossy or full (white) glossy version though. I can tell you the exact difference when I receive my AX next week.

·
344 Posts
The scroll wheel looks so ****, that's my only issue with this mouse. Looks like Zowie's (obviously) and it's terrible.

Seen a fair few people wanting them to fix that part, so hopefully they will eventually, or they might not and just not tap into that part of the market.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The scroll wheel looks so ****, that's my only issue with this mouse. Looks like Zowie's (obviously) and it's terrible.

Seen a fair few people wanting them to fix that part, so hopefully they will eventually, or they might not and just not tap into that part of the market.
They said they changed it, but I would wait for reviews on that part. They are pretty stubborn with that, same with the cable. Now, I personally like those wheels. The sounds is pleasant to me. Same with some people enjoying loud mechanical keyboards too. As long as you don't rely on it to spam an action ingame, let's say you jump with it, it's fine. As is the cable if you follow their advice and use a bungee they way it's intended to work with that cable. It does work that way, but they could improve it obviously. At least they fixed the mouse feet (and they are the same as the NP-01, so you can use spare ones you got for that one). Weight is also something they are not going to reduce at any cost. It's pretty weird. I mean, they were at the forefront of the industry at Zowie a couple years ago, and now that they are back (basically) they ignore all the trends/improvements the industry has brought to the market :D

I guess I really enjoy the "no software, no bling bling" approach they have going there. Anyone who is interested needs to know what you're getting into: very well build mice (tank like) with great shape design (subjective), flawless sensor and great buttons (NP-01 has zero pre/post travel, never had so finely tunes buttons, not even from Endgame gear), everything hardware based (big plus in my book), but:
  • love or hate wheel :love::sick:
  • cable in desperate need of a bungee (or paracord mod; meh more money to spend...)
  • weight is "OK", but not light weight

Thats about it.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The NP-01 black is a mix between a glossy and a mat finish. Which is why many could not get used to it and they went with a more default coating on the AX (black matt). The NP-01 non-G certainly is closer to a glossy finish than a mat one. Based on that my guess is that the coating for the AX mat is very similar to other products on the market, the NP-01 will remain the kind-glossy or full (white) glossy version though. I can tell you the exact difference when I receive my AX next week.
Got any other mice (or anything actually) that you can use as an example for the NP01's coating?

·
Registered
595 Posts
No, nothing in my collection comes to mind. Like I said, many people could not get used to it. Since the coating is very much more towards the glossy feel, I would assume the ones who did not like it were in the crowd who would normally go for a mat finish/coating. It's a bit less prone to accumulate dirt/sweat as a typical glossy surface, but also can feel a bit more slippery when you start playing. Right in the middle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My main issue with the EC2 (and Zowie mice in general) was that it lacked enough support for comfortable palming (I had to somewhat claw it), due to how narrow it was at the rear flare. I hope that this is a fuller EC2, but from the specs, it just seems like a shorter but higher EC2, with the same 65mm at the rear (but in terms of volume, who knows, it may feel fuller). I wonder how the shorter length will feel (was 120mm not short enough? is -2.5mm too much?), with a higher height of 43mm (same as the EC1, EC2 was 40mm—which personally, I thought was like already getting too high, by like 1mm or so). An interesting adjustment for sure.

A shame about the scroll wheel—yes it is certainly an improvement on the Zowie FK/ZA/EC/S scroll wheels (although being completely superior is still arguable), but I'd still prefer something like a Roccat wheel, or the Logitech GPW, even with its rare accidental activation. Personally, I also think the clicks also leave more to be desired. Shell separated is nice, but I feel like the click implementation hasn't made use of it. It has that same thing as Zowie mice (less on the EC series) where the force between activation and release is uncertain, and sometimes when you want to rapidly single click, you accidentally hold it down too long (in certain situations, such as spraying in CS:GO)—for me at least, curious if anyone else has this problem.

The cable, yeah I agree, certainly a softer paracord-style would be a better cable, but I think the other issues are more important. I think the weight of the NP-01 is in a good spot to appease all parties—it was a bit too light for my preference actually (but it could just be the feet, or both, I prefer more control).

I'll be surprised if the upcoming AM/IO 1.1 ambi mouse won't be pushed back to after March—really can't wait to get my hands on it. Vaxee have mentioned wireless in the works, and I wonder if this is the shape they're implementing it in.

Got any other mice (or anything actually) that you can use as an example for the NP01's coating?
It's hard to describe as it's quite unique and I don't have much to compare to atm—to me the main coating is like a dry version of the Zowie glossy. It's not as sticky feeling. It's like they coated a matte surface with a thin lacquer. A little slippery at first, and less residue accumulates, like what nyshak said. The buttons have a rough porous plastic texture (reminds me of the WMO, but not very similar at all), but have little friction/grip on its own.

·
Registered
595 Posts

Does not sound like they changed the wheel at all :D. Good for me, I like it. My shipment is getting delayed (most likely) by a snowstorm though.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I'm interested, as I think a non flat EC style would work for me. I honestly hate the shape and its siblings (DA, IME, etc) because of the flat back. Only one I liked was Logitech due to the back being round. I've seen in usage videos that the sudden end in the back of the mouse contributes to a more filling feel in the hand.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Lord Jesus they're still using that spring and ball bearing thing for the scroll wheel? 🤢

·
Low IQ User
417 Posts
Someone knows how the sidebuttons are on Vaxee mice? Do they have as much travel as on EC series or are the crisp like a G403?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Someone knows how the sidebuttons are on Vaxee mice? Do they have as much travel as on EC series or are the crisp like a G403?
Outset AX has really good sidebuttons
if you EXTREMELY deathgrip your mouse, you will be able to activate the buttons on the NP/Outset.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The scrollwheel feels smoother indeed, compared to the NP-01, they did do something with it. Steps are not as hard as before. Still very distinct steps and loud though.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The scrollwheel feels smoother indeed, compared to the NP-01, they did do something with it. Steps are not as hard as before. Still very distinct steps and loud though.
I really like the scroll wheel. Playing CSGO and using the scroll wheel to jump means I don't randomly jump like the Zowie Ec2.

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,675 Posts
I really like the scroll wheel.
Is it like an ALPs scroller?

Meaning - does it have firm notches when you scroll upwards or downwards?

If it doesn't, then it's another flaky-low standard encoder - best to ignore.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Is it like an ALPs scroller?

Meaning - does it have firm notches when you scroll upwards or downwards?

If it doesn't, then it's another flaky-low standard encoder - best to ignore.
Yes? I mean, I can't tell if it is they encoder you want, but both wheels, from the NP-01 and the AX have firm notches you can feel when turning the wheel. You have to overcome quite a bit of resistance to make it move a notch up or down. Guess that's why so many dislike it. It's not something you can ratch multiple notches up/down with a flick of your finger as easily as other mice. The NP-01 is a bit heavier than the AX, compared side by side. Could only be my units though.

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,675 Posts
You have to overcome quite a bit of resistance to make it move a notch up or down.
Just put in an order for one.

Guess that's why so many dislike it.
Yeah, usually limp-wristed Girls tend to go for the free scrolling systems, like what Logitech provides.

The NP-01 is a bit heavier than the AX, compared side by side. Could only be my units though.
As long as the durability is there, then it's a great choice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts