Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 552 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
For the first time ever AMD has officially confirmed market positioning of upcoming Polaris chips. That said, Polaris 10 is officially aiming mainstream desktop segment and high-end notebook market, while Polaris 11 will also focus on notebooks.
AMD:
Quote:
AMD demonstrated its "Polaris" 10 and 11 next-generation GPUs, with Polaris 11 targeting the notebook market and "Polaris" 10 aimed at the mainstream desktop and high-end gaming notebook segment. "Polaris" architecture-based GPUs are expected to deliver a 2x performance per watt improvement over current generation products and are designed for intensive workloads including 4K video playback and virtual reality (VR).
Source
 

·
The Sizzler
Joined
·
598 Posts
Wow so nVidia is gonna run it until at least Vega.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,492 Posts
480/480 as rumored.

Will hold on to Vega no doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubldwn View Post

Wow so nVidia is gonna run it until at least Vega.
Nvidia haven't confirmed anything about Pascal, what's likely to happen is that Pascal will be a slightly bigger chip than Polaris which will compete directly, neither AMD or Nvidia have plans to launch their behemoths at this time, they both seem to be waiting for Vega/Volta
 

·
The Sizzler
Joined
·
598 Posts
Polaris is shaping up to be a great budget option for price sensitive buyers. Maybe they'll get good market share from this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
It's difficult to tell what "mainstream desktop segment" even means anymore. Would AMD consider a GP104-class GPU to be a high-end or mainstream desktop GPU or something more akin to GP106? In between maybe? I'm sure GP104 would also be considered a high-end notebook GPU given that its predecessors were, so the wording makes thing unclear.

With the latest rumors and this, I'm inclined to think GP104 will be faster to some unknown degree. But Vega is too far out (2017) to be an intended GP104-competitor (I hope) and I don't see why AMD wouldn't try to at least match Nvidia at the high-end this year after all the hubbub about DX12 and pushing for the performance crown with Fiji. Last year I thought for sure they would have at least had a fierce GP104 competitor out sometime in 2016 and hope they still do, but who knows. They could be trying to fill in gaps between GP106 and GP104 as well as between GP104 and GP102/GP100 with Polaris and Vega respectively instead of competing outright, perhaps?

Well, I was in the market for a new notebook. My old Sandy Bridge/Fermi one's literally falling apart and I'd pick up one with Polaris for ~$800 or less. I just hope Enduro works better than the last time I tried it.
 

·
I <3 narcissists
Joined
·
6,522 Posts
Well that seems a little disappointing. Maybe it is a sign that I need to get on the X99 bandwagon for now and wait for better gpu stuff in 2017.
 

·
Sunday League Jibber
Joined
·
4,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubldwn View Post

Polaris is shaping up to be a great budget option for price sensitive buyers. Maybe they'll get good market share from this.
The problem is that they've been this for the past year and it hasn't made much of a difference. They were behind the curve on the latest series in terms of top-end performance and so the 980 Ti, 980, and 970 ate a lot of the market/mindshare, even though the 980 Ti is the only objectively superior performer in its price bracket. It's not enough to win at every level below the enthusiast segment; they're doing so now but the market perception is in Nvidia's favour.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: LAKEINTEL

·
Graphic Card Addiction
Joined
·
4,041 Posts
I'm running 970's in SLI. No issues.

I might ride the storm out and see how it shakes.....prices will drop on some good used cards as well. I just hope it's a good battle!!
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hequaqua View Post

Maybe this explains the big jump in the stock after hours.

It has jumped .61 since closing this afternoon.
biggrin.gif
The big jump is a result of the forcast in comparison to Intel.

They have a revenue gain which means they have revenue bigger coming in that more than offsets the decrease in desktop sales.

Could be a combination of consoles orders for 4k, Apple doing a really big prebuy or a little of both. But good for them. AMD needs to diversity it's revenue stream and this is what all PC semiconductor companies should be doing.
 

·
The Sizzler
Joined
·
598 Posts
I think nVidia will be able to target the extremists with GP104 but also offer a cut down chip to compete with Polaris.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperZan View Post

The problem is that they've been this for the past year and it hasn't made much of a difference. They were behind the curve on the latest series in terms of top-end performance and so the 980 Ti, 980, and 970 ate a lot of the market/mindshare, even though the 980 Ti is the only objectively superior performer in its price bracket. It's not enough to win at every level below the enthusiast segment; they're doing so now but the market perception is in Nvidia's favour.
And they already tried the whole small-die, budget-option thing back throughout 2008 to 2011. Even back then, when Nvidia couldn't touch AMD's offerings in price, power, or die space efficiency, it didn't help their market share much or anything. The best position AMD has been in during the past decade was when they dominated the performance charts with the HD 5870/5850 while Fermi took forever to release. I thought AMD understood that already given Fiji's design goals and would push to change perception by having the absolute best GPU on the market as soon as possible (if possible), but no clue now.

Now, Nvidia's smaller die designs are actually quite efficient compared to years ago and should be really competitive and they have even greater mindshare on top of it. I don't know why AMD would try the same failed market tactic again unless they were extremely confident that Polaris would edge out Pascal in efficiency and/or score some big design wins. Maybe Polaris is mostly for Apple like Tonga was.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,885 Posts
"Mainstream desktop" doesn't sound very promising for those of us looking to upgrade from 290X's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serandur View Post

It's difficult to tell what "mainstream desktop segment" even means anymore. Would AMD consider a GP104-class GPU to be a high-end or mainstream desktop GPU or something more akin to GP106? In between maybe? I'm sure GP104 would also be considered a high-end notebook GPU given that its predecessors were, so the wording makes thing unclear.

With the latest rumors and this, I'm inclined to think GP104 will be faster to some unknown degree. But Vega is too far out (2017) to be an intended GP104-competitor (I hope) and I don't see why AMD wouldn't try to at least match Nvidia at the high-end this year after all the hubbub about DX12 and pushing for the performance crown with Fiji. Last year I thought for sure they would have at least had a fierce GP104 competitor out sometime in 2016 and hope they still do, but who knows. They could be trying to fill in gaps between GP106 and GP104 as well as between GP104 and GP102/GP100 with Polaris and Vega respectively instead of competing outright, perhaps?

Well, I was in the market for a new notebook. My old Sandy Bridge/Fermi one's literally falling apart and I'd pick up one with Polaris for ~$800 or less. I just hope Enduro works better than the last time I tried it.
Sadly it is easy to tell. Look at this (what GPUs are called mainstream)



Mainstream isn't even a 270X. Mainstream is something like 260X. Oh god please help us.

Oh god this thread hurts so much. Probably the worst news of 2016 so far
frown.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zealord View Post

Sadly it is easy to tell. Look at this (what GPUs are called mainstream)



Mainstream isn't even a 270X. Mainstream is something like 260X. Oh god please help us.

Oh god this thread hurts so much. Probably the worst news of 2016 so far
frown.gif
sozo.gif


Vega or bust!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zealord View Post

Sadly it is easy to tell. Look at this (what GPUs are called mainstream)



Mainstream isn't even a 270X. Mainstream is something like 260X. Oh god please help us.

Oh god this thread hurts so much. Probably the worst news of 2016 so far
frown.gif
I refuse to believe that it isn't just a mix-up of two unequal uses of the word "mainstream". A 460X-class SKU being the best AMD offers in 2016 would be suicide if it was actually a chip of the same size and power consumption as its predecessors... and I would be surprised if it was the affordable VR GPU AMD were promising. If priced anything like a 360, it would be really cheap for that kind of performance. Doesn't sound likely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post

The big jump is a result of the forcast in comparison to Intel.

They have a revenue gain which means they have revenue bigger coming in that more than offsets the decrease in desktop sales.

Could be a combination of consoles orders for 4k, Apple doing a really big prebuy or a little of both. But good for them. AMD needs to diversity it's revenue stream and this is what all PC semiconductor companies should be doing.
The big jump is certainly coming from the x86 IP SoC licensing deal :

http://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmoorhead/2016/04/21/amd-forms-china-x86-server-soc-jv-and-gets-293-million-to-start/#4c16787d503a

But finanical numbers are plain awful. Without the 52M$ licensing deal, revenue would be under the 800M$ barrier.
Quote:
Revenue of $832 million, down 13 percent sequentially and down 19 percent year-overyear.
The sequential decrease was primarily due to lower sales of semi-custom SoCs.
The year-over-year decline was primarily due to lower sales of semi-custom SoCs and client notebook processors.
semi-custom SoCs are console chips.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serandur View Post

I refuse to believe that it isn't just a mix-up of two unequal uses of the word "mainstream". A 460X-class SKU being the best AMD offers in 2016 would be suicide.
Yeah I hope you are right, but who knows maybe a 460X is really good and can compete with a 290 and they can offer it at 199$ so people have a cheap GPU for VR. maybe thats their goal.

Lets praise that we get atleast something like a 480X
 
1 - 20 of 552 Posts
Top