Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://videocardz.com/77031/amd-ry...70wx-2950x-and-2920x-specs-and-pricing-leaked

The 32-core, 64-thread Threadripper 2990WX will cost 1799 USD. This chip will boost up to 4.2 GHz. The model with 24-cores and 48-threads (2970WX) will operate at the same frequency as 32-core SKU. It will also be 500 USD cheaper. Both WX series processors will be 250W TDP models.

The two members of the X-series (for gamers) are called 2950X and 2920X. Both will be available under 1000 USD. The 16-core and 32-thread model will boost up to 4.4 GHz and it will retail at 899 USD. The slowest Threadripper from 2000 series will only cost 649 USD and offer 12-cores. The X-series processors are 180W TDP.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Wait wut....

What gammer needs 16 or 12 cores???? Hell even a gammer/streamer be hard press to make use of all that cpu horsepower.

why even bother spliting it into WX and X series.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Wait wut....

What gammer needs 16 or 12 cores???? Hell even a gammer/streamer be hard press to make use of all that cpu horsepower.

I'm a gamer with a 1950X. I didn't get it because I'm a gamer, but to simply have the experience of building an HEDT system. I usually build a new system every year or two -- the longest I've had a system I built is 26 months.

If I was a streamer, I would want to have enough cores to keep the game on maximum settings and resolution while streaming at maximum FPS (or however you measure performance on the actual stream).

Assuming this new info is accurate, I really want a 2950X. 16C/32T at 4.4GHz or higher all-core OC? Yes, please! Heatripper Threadkiller's liquid cooling loop would have no problems with the heat output.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Ill wait for offical launch from AMD and see how it is marketed.

Just too me makes no sense to split into two products with different naming then targeting gamers with a chip that will still be no faster then a ryzen 2700x(2600x for that matter) in games and still loose too an i5. Even if the 2950x is 50mhz faster then a 2700x it such a small amount that benchmarks will show within margin of error.

Threadripper should never be directed at gamers. No need for WX and X name just give em all X and hack the W off.

Other then that little beef it looks like a very solid product stack with fair prices to go with it.

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
The real question here to me is if the 16 core is 4x4 dies, or 2x8 dies.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
It seems like the effect of binning is more visible this time in terms of pricing as they're not as low as one could expect given that the 2700X tops out at $329. The likely explanation is that the 2700X's TDP went up from 95w on the 1800X last year to 105w and these 2950X and 2920X are keeping the same 180w TDP from last year's first gen TR, all the while the base clocks on the 16 core part only got a 100 Mhz bump, and the 12 core got nothing, still at 3.5 Ghz base, except for a 100 Mhz higher boost clock, which places it 50 Mhz under the 2700X, so the binning is happening mainly for the 16 core part, which boosts to 4.4 Ghz.

The question is, why didn't they raise the TDP to 200w? Surely if a first gen mainstream Ryzen motherboard can handle a 105w CPU instead of a 95w, an expensive X399 TR board from last year, even an entry level one, can handle 200w. Maybe we're in for a surprise with good all core boost clocks, but this decision, if true, seems odd.

In any case, I'd like some more clarification on what the Boost Clocks actually mean. Namely, Videocardz lists last year's 1950X, 1920X and 1900X's Boost clock as 4 Ghz, but with XFR those Threadripper parts could go to 4.2 Ghz on a single core, so what is the deal now? Will the 2950X and 2920X boost beyond the listed 4.4 Ghz and 4.3 Ghz respectively on one and two cores?

On the 32 and 24 core front, if this is confirmed, all those rumours of 3.4 Ghz base clocks are done with. It stays as AMD said initially. Let's see if the 3.4 Ghz all core boost clock they talked about does indeed stay at that value. It will also be interesting to see how Intel will react given that a 32 core CPU will now be competing in price against their 18 core one (which is selling for a bit more than AMD's price right now).

The WX moniker is ok, these are clearly workstation oriented CPUs, so what's the problem in calling them that? The 2950X and 2920X on the other hand are like SB-E hexacores from 2011, they were overkill for the time, but they are still in a hybrid enthusiast / workstation class.

It has to be 2x8 dies, otherwise it will be a major disappointment as half the cores will have to access RAM by asking neighbouring dies that are connected to RAM channels all the time. That would eat into the 3% IPC gains and extra 100 Mhz base and 200 Mhz boost clocks compared to last year's. If they went that route they might as well not release them at all.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
In any case, I'd like some more clarification on what the Boost Clocks actually mean. Namely, Videocardz lists last year's 1950X, 1920X and 1900X's Boost clock as 4 Ghz, but with XFR those Threadripper parts could go to 4.2 Ghz on a single core, so what is the deal now? Will the 2950X and 2920X boost beyond the listed 4.4 Ghz and 4.3 Ghz respectively on one and two cores?
XFR on Gen1 Ryzen is up to two cores. For Gen1 Threadripper it is up to four cores. It follows that Gen2 would be the same, though the WX models likely bring that number up to eight cores since they have twice as many dies. It would be awesome if the base boost clock was 4.4GHz on 2950X, with XFR2 giving 4.6GHz on four cores.

I agree with @tpi2007 on this one. Definitely two eight-core dies. Absolutely no reason to do it with four dies.

·
Just a Crazy Cat in a Box
5,534 Posts
Wait wut....

For someone just sole gaming purpose, yeah, I don't see the sense in buying a TR.
Though, for someone like myself, it gives me a chip that I can play around with doing VMs, hosting small servers, some gaming, and a good nice amount of threads for BOINC crunching.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
XFR on Gen1 Ryzen is up to two cores. For Gen1 Threadripper it is up to four cores. It follows that Gen2 would be the same, though the WX models likely bring that number up to eight cores since they have twice as many dies. It would be awesome if the base boost clock was 4.4GHz on 2950X, with XFR2 giving 4.6GHz on four cores.

You're right, first gen Ryzen's XFR applies to two cores, not one, I remembered incorrectly. And yes, XFR2 giving 4.6 Ghz would be pretty good and bridge the gap towards Intel to a great extent. And it would open up the door for a 2800X in a few months on the mainstream segment to hold AMD over against the 8700K, 8086K, 9700K and 9900K until Zen 2 arrives.

·
Top kek
3,578 Posts
Oh boy, the price scaling for the different versions.... If it turns out true, its going to be a hell of a thing. Linear scaling. Double the cores? = Double the price. Intel will never be able to do this.

·
Super Moderator
9,192 Posts
Well, it's impossible for all configurations to use four dies because there's a 12-core variant. That would require tri-core dies with asymmetric core complexes. The 24-core and 32-core versions have some pretty bad performance implications due to the extra two dies, so it'd be a bad idea for AMD to use such a configuration when not necessary.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Wait wut....

This may be shocking but there are other people besides gamers who use computers

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,040 Posts
I was hoping for a 2900X. Hopefully that isn't the full list. :)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Wait wut....

Not every chip is for a gamer. /forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif
Wait wut....

This may be shocking but there are other people besides gamers who use computers
I think you guys are missing the point,that in the ogrinal post the X series is being marketed to gamers.

Im quite aware that these chips *should* not be for gamers

·
Otherworlder
7,517 Posts
Not every chip is for a gamer. :rolleyes:
pretty much, not to mention these are ThreadRipper chips, not many gamers would even choose to buy these over the regular Ryzen chips.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,040 Posts
I think you guys are missing the point,that in the ogrinal post the X series is being marketed to gamers.

Im quite aware that these chips *should* not be for gamers
I want one for gaming... But i don't need the cores i need the lanes. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts