Overclock.net banner
3261 - 3269 of 3269 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
thats kinda low for the best monitor in town, aint dropping 75% value in 3 year
I monitored (pun. giggity) it over the past few months both in Calgary and Edmonton. Some had it listed at $1200 and the ad was up for weeks. Ended up selling for $1000. I know because I told a couple friends to buy them for $1000. I think even $1200 is a bargain but most people aren't buying a monitor they can't run. :p And if they had the money for a card like the 3090, they probably would have bought this monitor earlier. Also important to note that Memoryexpress and others had the monitor on sale for between $1600-1800 CAD over the past couple of years and Microcenter currently has it listed at $1200 USD (just under $1500 CAD). Considering what you get for $1200 USD....I can't see the justification in the extra $1800 USD to get the features I mentioned above. If it were using a more dense backlight system like the iPad Pro, I'd buy it immediately. But alas...as I mentioned...each of its backlight zones is 10x bigger than on the iPad Pro. So the iPad Pro will give you something similar to OLED blacks/contrast. This will give slightly less halo/glow. And the problem is...the PG27UQ has MASSIVE halo/glow in dark HDR scenes (like the first level of Metro Exodus) to the point where it fades out the actual content on the screen. So the slight reduction in zone size with this new monitor is a slight improvement, but 90% of the problem still remains. And as I mentioned...still 144Hz limited is unfortunate.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I monitored (pun. giggity) it over the past few months both in Calgary and Edmonton. Some had it listed at $1200 and the ad was up for weeks. Ended up selling for $1000. I know because I told a couple friends to buy them for $1000. I think even $1200 is a bargain but most people aren't buying a monitor they can't run. :p And if they had the money for a card like the 3090, they probably would have bought this monitor earlier. Also important to note that Memoryexpress and others had the monitor on sale for between $1600-1800 CAD over the past couple of years and Microcenter currently has it listed at $1200 USD (just under $1500 CAD). Considering what you get for $1200 USD....I can't see the justification in the extra $1800 USD to get the features I mentioned above. If it were using a more dense backlight system like the iPad Pro, I'd buy it immediately. But alas...as I mentioned...each of its backlight zones is 10x bigger than on the iPad Pro. So the iPad Pro will give you something similar to OLED blacks/contrast. This will give slightly less halo/glow. And the problem is...the PG27UQ has MASSIVE halo/glow in dark HDR scenes (like the first level of Metro Exodus) to the point where it fades out the actual content on the screen. So the slight reduction in zone size with this new monitor is a slight improvement, but 90% of the problem still remains. And as I mentioned...still 144Hz limited is unfortunate.
overall im still happy with it, the only real glow is in loading sreens , in game even if it does some bloom, could argue that it does like a natural bloom haha

some dark scenes can be problematic but in general its a solid hdr experience

·
Registered
231 Posts
My PG27UQ started making noise with his fans. It’s unpleasant.
Like a vacuum cleaner. After an hour of this torture, it becomes a little quieter but still works louder than anything. Much.
I tried to remove the back wall, but nothing works.
I googled the question of the fan noise of this model. People change thermal pastes, fans, even install water cooling. But no one ever wrote that he had a problem to remove the back panel.
And I have this problem.
I even bought a laptop repair kit, there are tools to remove from the latches. Retainers, clamps and more. They do not fit into the gap. They themselves scratch and scratch the plastic of the monitor. This is nonsense for me. What am I doing wrong? How do I remove the back panel to get to those damn coolers?
When I paid that kind of money, I never thought that I would have problems. All the more so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here are the pics of removing the anti glare on the pg27uq! By far the most difficult monitor or tv I have ever taken apart and I have done may 25-30 now.

The anti glare came off after 3hrs of damp paper towels with distilled water. No glue residue left over, just a pristine clear glass screen 🙂

Benefits of this mod:

Significant clarity due to high ppi 4k at 27 inches
Significant increase in brightness
Contrast increase is substantial
Blacks look liquid now and picture overall looks like looking out a window :0

You need special plastic tools to open the case without damaging it, the ag filter is so very fine and cut in the exact shape of the polarizer that you have to be very careful when removing it!

I would be glad to do this mod for others on the x27 and pg27uq but I won’t be doing it for free due to the high degree of difficulty. This mod makes this display look next gen and shame on Asus for at least not giving us an option to have glossy vs matte 😞

Shame on Vega and l88bastard for not believing me that I did this :’(

Now onto the pics:
I also dislike AG-Coatings, so i've already removed the matte coating from different monitors (like the PG278Q and some older monitors). So i already know the amount of water to use and to peel the light transparent AG-Coating and not the darker tinted polarizer.
But as you probably know, there is sometimes the problem of the "cracking" of the polarizer when the coating was removed and some time has passed. The tiny microcracks will lead to colored small lines as the polarizer is not smooth anymore. I had this problem on the PG278Q and one very old Eizo VA monitor. It only developed after some hours of use on the Eizo. I did not even tried to clean the monitor (i know it can be a problem cleaning the warm panel with a cloth with water)
So i wanted to know if you had similar issue on the PG27UQ or if you was able to keep the pristine picture quality for a long time?
And if you have some tips for the, as you said, complicated dissassembly of the monitor?
Sorry for my bad english.
Thanks a lot!

3261 - 3269 of 3269 Posts