Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90
Quote:
MSI decided to quietly launch its GAMING edition of Radeon R9 280X altogether with the R9 280.

The 6GB variant of R9 280X GAMING is clocked at 1000/1050 MHz with a memory at 6GHz. Card is equipped with 6GB GDDR5 memory and 384-bit interface.
Source

·
Software Developer
7,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizZz View Post

Why do you need 6gb of VRAM on a 280x...

The card isn't powerful enough to push multi-monitor setups or a 4k display so I don't understand this decision. Wouldn't putting 6gb of memory on a 290 or 290x make more sense?
I want the one with the bigger GBs.

Reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Sorry, MSI simply not enough.
I am trying to push 1080p on COD Ghosts and 6gb simply won't cut it.
At least Sapphire has the sense to make a 290x with 8gb...
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstanci3 View Post

rolleyes.gif
Sounds more like the game's fault than the card's..

·
Software Developer
7,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstanci3 View Post

rolleyes.gif
I hope this is sarcasm. With eyes rolling.

CoD Ghosts barely uses 1.15GB of VRAM at 1080 about 1500MB for 2560x1600 and max settings.

So there is something seriously wrong with your system if you are not sarcastic.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain View Post

CoD Ghosts barely uses 1.15GB of VRAM at 1080 about 1500MB for 2560x1600 and max settings.

So there is something seriously wrong with your system if you are not sarcastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <({D34TH})> View Post

Sounds more like the game's fault than the card's..
I was being very sarcastic.
This card with 6Gb is not remotely sensical unless you are using it for 2D/3D rendering, modeling etc. and even then...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain View Post

It's Riley. He's the Vram hog.
biggrin.gif

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts

·
Stock
3,717 Posts
I don't see the big deal you guys remember the Sapphire 7970 Toxic and Vapor-X @ 6GB..... Those had rave reviews and some of you guys were salivating over them.... MSi was a little late with the bazooka
biggrin.gif

And yes I have yet to see a game maximize the video ram, but hey! there's a market for this card for some one
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyp36rmax View Post

I don't see the big deal you guys remember the Sapphire 7970 Toxic and Vapor-X @ 6GB..... Those had rave reviews and some of you guys were salivating over them.... MSi was a little late with the bazooka
biggrin.gif

And yes I have yet to see a game maximize the video ram, but hey! there's a market for this card for some one
thumb.gif
So basically epeen
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
the 770 and 760 had a similar bump from 2GB to 4GB with the MSI cards

Is the RAM increase really needed? I am sure somewhere I seen that the cards don't actually use the extra RAM.

I thought that it would be 2GB or less was needed for games.

·
Aren't this fancy!
7,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtchocla7e View Post

4k textures in Skyrim, here I come.
To bad Skyrim's limit is somewhere in the 2.7gb vram range. Beyond that many people face game instability... unless something has changed in the last few months.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
The GPU VRAM wars are almost as stupid as the smartphone camera megapixel wars. 280X with 6GB....

pointless.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster_is_better View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtchocla7e View Post

4k textures in Skyrim, here I come.
To bad Skyrim's limit is somewhere in the 2.7gb vram range. Beyond that many people face game instability... unless something has changed in the last few months.
What causes this limit? With ENBoost and Sheson's Memory Patch Skyrim people can run ugrids 19 (count em!) and I've personally reached 2.9GB in Wyrmstooth without instability.

But I can't think of games apart from modded skyrim/hitman which could possibly use over 3GB, and as others have said for multi-monitor you'll be picking bigger and better cards.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts