·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the extra memory optimizations, we could be in for some surprise.
Bandwidth of GTX 980 Ti is 337GB/s. Effective bandwidth of GTX 1080 is 384GB/s

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can't wait till Tuesday. I'm hoping this thing will obliterate 780 SLI by at least 50%.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With all this compression, doesnt it put more strain on the cores to read all the compressed stuff?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

With all this compression, doesnt it put more strain on the cores to read all the compressed stuff?
That probably explains where the transistors went, because if we just go by core count as Maxwell die shrink, it would come off as ~2 density increase, not 2.3 it apparently was.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going by Nvidia`s slide for GTX 1080, we can see that it is 70% faster than GTX 980 in games.

Looking at TechPowerUp`s result for GTX 980 and 980Ti: Multiply 80% with 1.7, we get 136%.
Which means GTX 1080 is 36% faster than GTX 980Ti in games

Call me very impressed if true.
biggrin.gif

·
Performance is the bible
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusive Spectre View Post

Which is very suspicious. The 1070 is either crippled or seriously overpriced for what it offers.
I think they are trying to save it for polaris.
AMD incoming cards seems to target the 980 TI at 300$ (or so they say), which means it will rival the 1070. So depends on where AMD are going to price their cards, and how fast they are going to come, nvidia will price the 1070 as close as they can to snatch that target market from AMD.

Nvidia are also going with GDDR5 like AMD (at least from the leaks), so I'm not sure they are going to get it to rival the 1080. But with the expected price of 380$ of the 1070, nvidia might reduce that price if AMD rivals it directly, or keep it if they can't.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

I think they are trying to save it for polaris.
AMD incoming cards seems to target the 980 TI at 300$ (or so they say), which means it will rival the 1070. So depends on where AMD are going to price their cards, and how fast they are going to come, nvidia will price the 1070 as close as they can to snatch that target market from AMD.

Nvidia are also going with GDDR5 like AMD (at least from the leaks), so I'm not sure they are going to get it to rival the 1080. But with the expected price of 380$ of the 1070, nvidia might reduce that price if AMD rivals it directly, or keep it if they can't.
Very unlikely. When was the last time Nvidia lowered the announced price for a GPU? The price was announced as $379, that's where it will stay.

I'm also not sure AMD has a card to match the 1070. There will be an AMD card for around $300, but I don't think it will be 980 Ti level. Although I hope I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatun-Bear View Post

Very unlikely. When was the last time Nvidia lowered the announced price for a GPU? The price was announced as $379, that's where it will stay.

I'm also not sure AMD has a card to match the 1070. There will be an AMD card for around $300, but I don't think it will be 980 Ti level. Although I hope I am wrong.
GTX 680 was supposed to launch at 549$, but was cut to 499$ to make it look much better than the 7970.

GTX 780 was cut by 150$ when the 290X was announced.

They didn't need to lower the prices for 900 series card, because the 970 also had proactively lowered the VRAM by 25%.

But yeah I don't think AMD can match the GTX 1070. And I don't see Nvidia lowering the price of the GTX 1070.

Polaris 10 is probably be cheaper, but also less powerful

·
Registered
627 Posts
Nv marketing...
Comparing GTX1080 to GTX980

1080 700USD MSRP
980 550USD MSRP

Yeah they need compare 1080 to 980TI, but that will looks pretty bad.

Btw they dont reveal 1070 because it will sucks.Only GDDR5 no fancy GDDR5x.Only 6.5Tflops...Most likely only 1920SP..1070 will look like crap on slides..

·
professional curmudgeon
10,402 Posts
Quote:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Performance

During official presentation Jen-Hsun Huang said that GTX 1080 is faster than GTX 980 SLI. This is true but only when Virtual Reality is considered. In real world gaming scenario performance is almost comparable (this will be confirmed by reviews), but it is definitely not faster, at least not in all games.
well, that cleared that up . .
redface.gif

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by looniam View Post

well, that cleared that up . .
redface.gif
The GTX 1080 is MUCH faster than GTX 980 SLI in games that don't support SLI or scale absolutely horrible
rolleyes.gif

The "faster than 980 SLI" was a stupid statement to begin with. You can cherry pick benchmarks to make that claim.

My 290X is also faster than 980 SLI, but only if I cherry pick a couple of games like Killer Instict etc.
biggrin.gif

1 - 20 of 105 Posts