Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 is essentially a double GTX 750, or half GTX 980 if you wish. The GTX 960 is equipped with GM206 processor, which has 1024 CUDA cores. Card is featuring 2GB GDDR5 memory and 128-bit interface. Jen-Hsun told me the efficient memory clock is 9.3 GHz (yes, I'm serious). NVIDIA is now advertising memory clock speed after increasing it by 33% (the bandwidth is higher due to 3rd Gen. colour compression (delta compression) algorithm. Soon, the only real thing in NVIDIA materials will be the name of the card.

The base clock speed is 1127 MHz (2.3 TFLOPS), while the boost speed is 1178 MHz. The memory bandwidth is 112 GB/s.

This new graphics card will consume 120W through single 6-pin power connector. According to NVIDIA, GTX 960 will be a perfect card for MOBA (Multiplayer online battle arena) gaming, consuming very low power and generating inaudible noise.
Source

Also NV has apparently sold 1 million 970s and 980s...

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dir_d View Post

Meh, where's GM200. I would still suggest a 970 for 1080p settings maxed 120fps vsync.
Of course if you have the budget for that...

Pricing will determine if the 960 is a good card or not since it's clearly being aimed at the budget/mid-range.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I would have thought the TDP would be closer to 100W if it's half a GTX 980 since the 980 has a TDP of 165W

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
750ti already maxes every moba except maybe Smite? (not really sure on this) at 1080p. Kind of a weird marketing point. GTX 770 can still play games at ultra 4x AA at 1080p, so the marketing should really just be about maxing 1080p games in general.

·
Old to Overclock.net
375 Posts
Was looking to sell my gtx 660s to pick up two of these. Unless the pricing is really good, i'll wait on the 970 price to drop.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I like the low power consumption, and the performance is likely good enough for me, but I'm concerned about the 2gb vram.

Can anyone more knowledgeable fill me in on this. The reference cards will be released with 2gbs, is there a chance that manufacturers can change this? Unsure on what exactly companies like asus and msi have the ability to modify.

I plan on playing games like Metro, Witcher 3 and heavily modded Skyrim. Would I be better off spending the extra 100-150ish for a 970? I was hoping to avoid the cost, but the 960 seems a little more lack luster than what I expected.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
$150 or overpriced.

·
I don't exist
351 Posts
According to a personal source, certain Asian countries already have GTX960s stashed away in storage awaiting official launch. Price is very similar to current GTX760 prices in the region.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I would imagine this is going to be right at $200, perhaps a bit below. With the gap between it and the 970, I would have to imagine they are going to bring out a 960 ti, or something similar with a 192-bit bus and 3GB vram. That will probably be in the $269 range. Perhaps I am just wishful thinking, but at the same time, from a business standpoint, they need to do something like this. That would leave too big of a gap for AMD to run free with the 280x.

If they make that card, I will pick one up for the family PC, otherwise it will solder on with the 660 for a bit longer.

Come on AMD!!! Bring out some good stuff!
§

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
even worse than I thought. now I really hope this card launches for $180 max. this card essentially replaces the gtx 750ti rather than the gtx660/760. for this be such a big drop off from the 970 the TDP isn't even impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlunky View Post

I would imagine this is going to be right at $200, perhaps a bit below. With the gap between it and the 970, I would have to imagine they are going to bring out a 960 ti, or something similar with a 192-bit bus and 3GB vram. That will probably be in the $269 range. Perhaps I am just wishful thinking, but at the same time, from a business standpoint, they need to do something like this. That would leave too big of a gap for AMD to run free with the 280x.

If they make that card, I will pick one up for the family PC, otherwise it will solder on with the 660 for a bit longer.

Come on AMD!!! Bring out some good stuff!
§
there are already rumored to be two more 960 skus launching. looking at the specs there is plenty of room for two cards between this and the 970.

·
Call me VSG
12,852 Posts
What is this? The "source" leads to a stupid YouTube video about a dog farting, and the article says this guy (whycry?) got off the phone with Jen-Hsun who told him all the details. Like that ever happened! The slides are admitted to be made up as well.

·
PC Evangelist
47,495 Posts
180-200 is a good price for this cards. Anything more might as well save for 970. It will probably be similar performance to 285.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geggeg View Post

The "source" leads to a stupid YouTube video about a dog farting, and the article says this guy (whycry?) got off the phone with Jen-Hsun who told him all the details.
Dog farting=wccf confirmed

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geggeg View Post

What is this? The "source" leads to a stupid YouTube video about a dog farting, and the article says this guy (whycry?) got off the phone with Jen-Hsun who told him all the details. Like that ever happened! The slides are admitted to be made up as well.
I tried so hard to think that it was some irony or mocking but the fake slides made the article a trainwreck. Kinda makes you think about the criteria of some ppl and the worth of their statements.

·
Meow!
8,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imouto View Post

Yes, you're special.
Mine is still special... very little pop has them and stopped production shortly after Black edition came out. Unlocked compute performances. n_n

1 - 20 of 95 Posts