Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok when im running at load i experience a small amount of vcore droop but how come when i turn off all processes and become idle my vcore increase past what i set in bios? Is this normal? all my other voltages don't fluxuate much at all <3% or so.

also whats the higest vcore i should run my Northwood at?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.525 there isnt even an option in bios for me to set my vcore that low remember i have a northwood not a prescott.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ive read 1.65. It may depend on your hardware, all are different. But i knwo for a fact 1.65 has been used. 1.525 is prescotts

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Northwoods run 1.5, Prescotts run around 1.4, and willamettes run 1.7, you sure you don't have a willamete?

And I think NoAffin says 1.6-1.65 is max for Northwood, they seem to die suddnely.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no im sure i have a northwood i specifically asked for a northwood when i bought it and CPU-Z says its a nortwood. I have the vcore set to 1.575 and when its idle sometimes it reaches 1.62 or so is that really bad?

should i trust CPU-Z's vcore readouts?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I don't think it'll kill anything if it only spikes that high, but you may want to consider a new motherboard/PSU to solve that.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
There's also that thing with ASUS and vcore drooping. CPU-Z isn't the most accurate, but then again nothing is. Probably want to wait 'til the Intel gurus show up though.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok well if i check the voltages while in bios they hardly fluctuate much at all. what are the effects if my vcore increases to far is it heat issues or will it mysteriously kill my processor? Also MBM5 doesnt show it fluctuating quite as far.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Hmmm... CPU-Z sometimes shows my core voltage drop to .9 volts from 1.75, and I would think such a drop at 2200MHz would cause the system to hange or reboot, it could just be CPU-Z being weird. Northwoods die with too much voltage and/or heat, it's called Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome because they'll look like they're running strong and then just quit one day. Best is to keep loads below 50C and voltages as low as possible.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
yeah, have you got the latest bios update? if you don't consider updating it, because that could be teh result of faulty readouts. also, how many different monitoring software systems do you have installed on your rig?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok so even at stock voltages when the cpu is idle my vcore readouts on mbm5 CPU-Z and speedfan all read around 1.62v for some reason.

what might be causing this and are there any inexpensive ways to fix it?

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
what exact model is your PSU?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leprachuan

ok so even at stock voltages when the cpu is idle my vcore readouts on mbm5 CPU-Z and speedfan all read around 1.62v for some reason.

what might be causing this and are there any inexpensive ways to fix it?

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
hmm...20 amps might not be cutting it. i haven't heard of that company, so if anyone has, which i'm sure of, just chime in. 20 amps on teh 12 rail is really low, so you might wanna unplug any unnecessary system fans, etc. to give more power to the CPU.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im confused why should it be supply more volts that it should be if im drawing too much power? that doesnt make any sense i would think in would droop down and undervolt not overvolt my processor.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
also it seems to do fine (a little droop but not much) as long as i keep some sort of load on it like folding.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts