Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AMD has officially confirmed the design of its Radeon RX 6000 graphics card.
AMD Radeon RX 6000: Is this Big Navi ‘RX 6900XT’?

AMD has showcased its Radeon RX 6000 video card. This model is likely to utilize the Big Navi GPU featuring RDNA2 architecture.
Hopefully, this means there will be a trickle of information in the upcoming weeks, or it's just a weak attempt to keep people from jumping on the Ampere train.

Source: AMD showcases Radeon RX 6000 graphics card design - VideoCardz.com

·
WaterCooler
3,460 Posts
Oh good, they moved away from blower coolers.

The Fortnite thing is a little weird.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
To be honest, the only new thing that would interest me is a passively cooled, mobo-powered (sub 75W) single slot AMD GPU.
Like Nvidia's 1030 equivalent, which unless something's changed since last i looked, is still their 'fastest' passively cooled GPU.

I know this is a thread about a gaming GPU and i know that even worse, lol, this is the 'news' section.
But really, for those not interested in gaming but rather on the simple everyday stuff.. where's AMD's equivalent? Last one they made is ancient for today's standards.
Something like an RX 5200..5100, now that would be nice.

These gaming GPUs, they come and go, old news this time next month.
For all the other people out there, wanting a beefier CPU (ie a non-APU), 100% of their RAM headroom (nothing reserved/lost for the integrated GU) and no gaming; read normal people. Competition offers it, occasionally refreshes/upgrades it, AMD does not.
You have anyone working in the few remaining brick and mortar PC stores, ask them how many they get to install every month.

Flashy titles usually work on people with a low attention span, or high novelty wear rate. They'll soon enough move on.
To the very next 'news' thread right here, i know, i know :)

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,303 Posts
Well at least its not a blower card🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I was wrong about that. Looked like a blower to me on the promo.
This cooler looks better than most of the AIB Nvidia ones. The red like is very 1990s though.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,314 Posts
Looks nice like usual with their elegant designs but can it cool?

·
Otherworlder
7,506 Posts
To be honest, the only new thing that would interest me is a passively cooled, mobo-powered (sub 75W) single slot AMD GPU.
Like Nvidia's 1030 equivalent, which unless something's changed since last i looked, is still their 'fastest' passively cooled GPU.

I know this is a thread about a gaming GPU and i know that even worse, lol, this is the 'news' section.
But really, for those not interested in gaming but rather on the simple everyday stuff.. where's AMD's equivalent? Last one they made is ancient for today's standards.

For all the other people out there, wanting a beefier CPU (ie a non-APU), 100% of their RAM headroom (nothing reserved/lost for the integrated GU) and no gaming; read normal people. Competition offers it, occasionally refreshes/upgrades it, AMD does not.
You have anyone working in the few remaining brick and mortar PC stores, ask them how many they get to install every month.

Flashy titles usually work on people with a low attention span, or high novelty wear rate. They'll soon enough move on.
same, i'd be interested in a low-profile pasive GPU too.
looking at Turing and Navi, they were plenty capable enough to get something around 1050Ti level of performance in a low-profile passive build.
just to note, there are GTX1650 low-profile GPUs, but they aren't passively cooled.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,303 Posts

Maybe you want an RX550?
Occasionally single slots go on sale on Ebay, I picked an HP 2gb one up a year ago for less than $50 shipped. It has a fan but is generally quiet.
And I just checked, you must not be alone in your tastes since they are very overpriced. They bog down a bit with 4k video as well.

·
Vandelay Industries
1,925 Posts
Good they are getting away from the blower cards. Now all they have to do is sort out launch drivers and p/p or else they will get labeled poorly.

·
PC Evangelist
46,711 Posts

I am sure AMD is thinking of that. ;)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It seems AMD is taking this launch serious. Im suspecting they do have something decent in waiting.

For once we get a good timed launch and a decent cooler from AMD.

If there drivers are good as well AMD could be off to a great start for RDNA2

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
If there drivers are good as well AMD could be off to a great start for RDNA2
That's the thing, they'll most likely not be good at least not for awhile. They always catch up later which isn't really ideal. Nvidia has an army of programmers doing drivers while AMD doesn't. I also don't think they will have a 3080 competitor this Oct and as rumors say it will sit between the 3070 and 3080 which isn't necessarily a bad thing especially with 16GB of Vram and no more than $599. Still I'm stalking the stock tracker for 3080 FEs as that card is a straight 100% performance boost over my non-Ti 1080. Only concern is if 10GB is enough for 4k, but i wouldn't be opposed to springing for a 3080Ti in 6-12 months with more VRAM.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,314 Posts
Seems like a good cooler. That's a good start.

I find it interesting that they put a USB-C connector on the card.
The Radeon VII also looked like a good cooler but wasn't properly mounted from factory. AMD underestimates their mounting pressure requirements and overestimates their voltages. If they fix those two they'll have a nice cool series.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,180 Posts
I dunno. It looks alot like the Radeon VII cooler with a different shroud around it. The fans might be a little bigger, it's hard to tell without them side by side.

After holding my RVII up to the screen next to the image, I would say they are really dang close to the same size fans.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Best looking card so far in my mind, at least for my build. Hopefully the USB-C is 4.0, that means in theory it could support DP 2.0, A man can dream... if VirtualLink they are beating a dead horse.

They could easily up it to a 3 slot if needed to crank some extra mhz out. Hope they are going all out. Will be sad if they can only hit 3070 Perf, market is alreay flooded with 2080 TIs so I can't see them selling a ton or making any profit.

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,675 Posts
AMD still managed to mess up the Radeon VII's tripleslot cooler so hopefully they've learned from their mistakes on them. Aesthetics are nice and all, but if it's loud and can't keep it cool I don't want it.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
5,963 Posts
same, i'd be interested in a low-profile pasive GPU too.
looking at Turing and Navi, they were plenty capable enough to get something around 1050Ti level of performance in a low-profile passive build.
just to note, there are GTX1650 low-profile GPUs, but they aren't passively cooled.
There is the Palit GTX 1650 KalmX. But it isn't low profile and its 2-slot.

I wonder why no one makes higher end low profile cards. Like the Palit GTS 450 LP. Or the Powercolor 5770 LP. Which were low profile 2-slot cards with a 6pin. I want a low profile 100w+ card.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts