Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
GPU Enthusiast
2,558 Posts
Looks eerily similar to the 2000 series founder edition cards with an extra fan...

• Rep+
Reactions: wreckless

·
Registered
190 Posts
Like when the Zerg infect a Terran ship! But doesn't look bad, hopefully its good enough for AIBs to pick it up and kick out decent designs. Twitter is not being friendly to Team Red today... but I have to agree their marketing this far is sad compared to Nvidia, hopefully they turn it around. Started with AMD bike, then a song quote, now a basic 3d render in fortnite... or maybe they are going with the idea that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The Radeon VII also looked like a good cooler but wasn't properly mounted from factory. AMD underestimates their mounting pressure requirements and overestimates their voltages. If they fix those two they'll have a nice cool series.
That was due to the MCM design... as surely you'd be aware

I doubt very much we're looking at a MCM package for Navi 2.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Maybe you want an RX550? ... It has a fan
Nope :)
You answered your own question ^^

If i was to really get down to it, i could buy me the RX5300 (i think that's what it's called, the cutdown 3GB RAM variant), cook a new bios for it (check Igor's labs) with a 70Watt cap, desolder the power connector, smack a chunk of fins on it that i would of course have had to have custom-built, waste many hours artificially stressing it so that i can find out what clocks i need for said 70W total, only so as to hope that future driver suites will always work with it.
Or, like a normal person would.. go and buy me a 1030 because they've already done all that for me.
Extra bonus that it's literally a third of an average GPU's size.

TLDR, i keep saying this i know, but this hunt for 'bestest' can -potentially- lead to short-sightedness. The 'smaller' the company, the higher the risk of that.

* On topic, i would also add that i -do- have something i'm interested in actually, namely the efficiency of RDNA2 cards. That Nvidia rushed out to announce theirs first, with zero shame about their high power consumption (all of a sudden that's alright again?), tells me a few things.. history tends to repeat itself, much more so when the circumstances favour such a repeat. That triple fan, very Radeon VII reminiscent arrangement, tells me AMD may be back to its usual, overclocking a perfectly good card because by the time they put it out? Competition had moved on.
To be seen.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,174 Posts
Nope :)
You answered your own question ^^

If i was to really get down to it, i could buy me the RX5300 (i think that's what it's called, the cutdown 3GB RAM variant), cook a new bios for it (check Igor's labs) with a 70Watt cap, desolder the power connector, smack a chunk of fins on it that i would of course have had to have custom-built, waste many hours artificially stressing it so that i can find out what clocks i need for said 70W total, only so as to hope that future driver suites will always work with it.
Or, like a normal person would.. go and buy me a 1030 because they've already done all that for me.
Extra bonus that it's literally a third of an average GPU's size.

TLDR, i keep saying this i know, but this hunt for 'bestest' can -potentially- lead to short-sightedness. The 'smaller' the company, the higher the risk of that.
Out of curiosity, do you not like any processors with igpu's? It seems like it would be simpler to just got with a usb-c to hdmi and skip the add in gpu all together. You won't even be using the bus power with one of those, and it's prolly about the same performance (none).

Either way, you are in the wrong thread if that's what you want.

·
WaterCooler
3,445 Posts
The Radeon VII also looked like a good cooler but wasn't properly mounted from factory. AMD underestimates their mounting pressure requirements and overestimates their voltages. If they fix those two they'll have a nice cool series.
Agreed. Like anything else, will wait for the reviews, including the GamersNexus teardown on both the Ampere and RDNA2 cards.

* On topic, i would also add that i -do- have something i'm interested in actually, namely the efficiency of RDNA2 cards. That Nvidia rushed out to announce theirs first, with zero shame about their high power consumption (all of a sudden that's alright again?), tells me a few things.. history tends to repeat itself, much more so when the circumstances favour such a repeat. That triple fan, very Radeon VII reminiscent arrangement, tells me AMD may be back to its usual, overclocking a perfectly good card because by the time they put it out? Competition had moved on.
To be seen.
Agreed. Nvidia's power hog design does lend one to wonder about actual improvements over previous gens. Sounds like they are just brute forcing, and being on Samsung 8nm probably isn't helping matters.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,305 Posts

It had nothing to do with being based on a MCM design. It had to do with the mounting pressure and overvolting. Even reference RDNA cards had similar thermal struggles which people also resorted to increasing the mounting pressure using washers just like with the Radeon VII cooler.

When Asus followed AMD's mounting pressure guidelines their temperatures were awful on the RX 5700 series cards.

To be seen.
Seems like people are missing that Nvidia more than doubled the amount of cores on the RTX 3090 compared to the Titan RTX(320w TGP)and only used 30w more.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts

Not sure if this is good sign for big navi supply. They cite poor yields with the soc. So TSMC 7nm yields for GPU’s aren’t great either.

·
Registered
846 Posts

I don't think we'll see an MCM package until RDNA3. And I very much doubt RDNA3 or Hopper from NVidia will be here in 2021. I suspect it'll be a late 2022 entrance at worst. Lots of issues to solve. In the mean time, we'll see refreshed cards on the horizon, IMO. Supers and Tis from NVidia, and... does AMD still do XTX cards?

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
NVidia's 3080 seems to be a power hog. This is AMD's chance to beat it and I think they will with this (6900 XT)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Not sure if this is good sign for big navi supply. They cite poor yields with the soc. So TSMC 7nm yields for GPU’s aren’t great either.
Wouldn't an SoC be more difficult to make than a GPU?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Wouldn't an SoC be more difficult to make than a GPU?
Sony SOC is AMD 8 Core Cpu + some variant of Navi. Xbox is similar design wise.

·
Otherworlder
7,506 Posts
if you think about it, it could me made with the left-most fan being a blower pulling air from the finstack directly and exhausting outside the case.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of silver and red... at least the underside won't be too visible in my case.

·
PC Evangelist
46,706 Posts
AMD still managed to mess up the Radeon VII's tripleslot cooler so hopefully they've learned from their mistakes on them. Aesthetics are nice and all, but if it's loud and can't keep it cool I don't want it.
That is an issue with Radeon 7 and the reporting of Hotspot. Even underwater the Hotspot goes pretty high. Also once you remove the cooler and try to improve the pressure and thermal paste you basically ruin it. I hope they dont use thermal pad anymore.

·
The Challenger
2,276 Posts
The leak of the photo is now available on videocardz, including the render of a "smaller" unit with dual fan.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
5,959 Posts
I like blower style better. Why can't they just have 2 lower rpm blowers?

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,675 Posts
That is an issue with Radeon 7 and the reporting of Hotspot. Even underwater the Hotspot goes pretty high. Also once you remove the cooler and try to improve the pressure and thermal paste you basically ruin it. I hope they dont use thermal pad anymore.
I just used the 'washer mod' on mine, never took off the cooler. Definitely helped hot spot temps a few degrees.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts