Overclock.net banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,303 Posts
Games like this make it almost impossible to recommend 8GB cards.
So much for consoles. Guess they will never be able to play that one or anything else new :p

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
It looks like its just maxing out the cards as much as it can. There is nothing in that chart that says 8gb isn't enough. When there is no difference between 1080p and 4k you know it doesn't need all that vram usage.

• Rep+
Reactions: Hueristic

·
PC Evangelist
46,706 Posts
It looks like its just maxing out the cards as much as it can. There is nothing in that chart that says 8gb isn't enough. When there is no difference between 1080p and 4k you know it doesn't need all that vram usage.
Ok, but explain to me system memory usage? Also, watch HUBs 2080 vs 1080 Ti recent review. 2080 is faster 1080 and 1440p but can only match it at 4K because in some game it's losing due to vRAM.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Ok, but explain to me system memory usage? Also, watch HUBs 2080 vs 1080 Ti recent review. 2080 is faster 1080 and 1440p but can only match it at 4K because in some game it's losing due to vRAM.
I'm not sure what system memory has to do with cards supposedly not having enough vram for 4k. I don't anticipate the 3080 to have any problems in 4k from vram before we run into horsepower problems first. I have not watched the HWUB thing yet I will do that and update as necessary.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,770 Posts
you'd need to also include performance metrics to draw that conclusion.

There are still games out there that utilize tons of memory, that then show nearly no performance loss when you truncate the amount they can use.

·
professional curmudgeon
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
8gb cards have no problem keeping up with 11/16gb in that game 1440/4K:

Capture.PNG

now you can stop the FUD.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts

View attachment 369532

That's a funny conclusion to draw given that a card with more than 8GBs Vram holds the top spot in the benchmark you posted. Considering how few cards with more than 8Gbs actually exist and they are all in the upper part of the chart... seems more reasonable to conclude there is a direct relationship between more Vram and better performance. Obviously the larger picture is more complicated than that which is why it's a little silly to try and draw any conclusions about how much Vram games will need for next gen era games while using a current gen game as your data point. I don't think people are worried about keeping up with current gen anymore.

·
To The Game
7,611 Posts
What I'd like to see is the effect maxing out vram has on frame timing.

·
Always Learning
1,160 Posts
That's a funny conclusion to draw given that a card with more than 8GBs Vram holds the top spot in the benchmark you posted. Considering how few cards with more than 8Gbs actually exist and they are all in the upper part of the chart... seems more reasonable to conclude there is a direct relationship between more Vram and better performance. Obviously the larger picture is more complicated than that which is why it's a little silly to try and draw any conclusions about how much Vram games will need for next gen era games while using a current gen game as your data point. I don't think people are worried about keeping up with current gen anymore.
You can see that the 16gb Radeon VII is behind everything else though so definitely not reasonable to conclude that there is a direct relationship between VRAM and performance. The more rational conclusion is to say there is a stronger relationship between the performance of the cards themselves (i.e., 2080ti is faster than 2080 super, and 2080 super is faster than 2080) rather than VRAM.

I guess we will need additional data to truly see if that is the case, by analyzing the general performance lead from the 2080ti to the 2080 super. Or to test the 2080ti but force it to only use 8gb ram.

·
professional curmudgeon
10,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
you are not looking at the chips. the biggest chip is on top; that's the reason why. logic is simple. btw, an 8gb is #2 above a 16gb card esp though the 4K avg is lower the min is higher.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
You can see that the 16gb Radeon VII is behind everything else though so definitely not reasonable to conclude that there is a direct relationship between VRAM and performance. The more rational conclusion is to say there is a stronger relationship between the performance of the cards themselves (i.e., 2080ti is faster than 2080 super, and 2080 super is faster than 2080) rather than VRAM.

I guess we will need additional data to truly see if that is the case, by analyzing the general performance lead from the 2080ti to the 2080 super. Or to test the 2080ti but force it to only use 8gb ram.
Pretty short sided to argue that because the Radeon VII doesn't have some huge advantage in a game designed to run on current gen hardware is evidence that more than 8GBs of Vram is pointless. Obviously GPU power is going to be a major factor as well, more so than anything else.

Using current and last gen GPUs to argue that next gen games won't need more than 8... or 10GBs of Vram is a crime against logic.

We know next gen GPUs will be much faster than what we have now, and presumably they will be able to scale with more Vram than we have now as well. That's how it's always been in the past, I don't think this is going to be the generation of 3D graphics in which more Vram just doesnt matter anymore beyond 10GBs. If anything people should be safely assuming all the games up til now have been designed around console ram limitations and games in next gen will work the same which is why 16GBs at least for a modern GPU feel like a much safer bet to most people.

·
Registered
373 Posts

View attachment 369532

Exactly. Why do some users keep bringing up the fact that 10GB/8GB is not enough? It's complete bullcrap.

Maybe true for AMD GPUs because the cards are too slow /jk /jk

·
sudo apt install sl
7,305 Posts
Pretty short sided to argue that because the Radeon VII doesn't have some huge advantage in a game designed to run on current gen hardware is evidence that more than 8GBs of Vram is pointless. Obviously GPU power is going to be a major factor as well, more so than anything else.

Using current and last gen GPUs to argue that next gen games won't need more than 8... or 10GBs of Vram is a crime against logic.
I just want to point out even if we used higher resolution textures the Radeon VII can't load them due to the small texture atlas size. It's a weird card, even the RX 5700 XT can load higher resolution textures than the Radeon VII.

·
Always Learning
1,160 Posts

I was just pointing out the flaw in your logic. 2080ti has over 40% more cores than a 2080 super, so it should definitely be in the lead with all else being equal.

And I never said that the next gen games won't require more VRAM, this is a straw man argument you made up. But clearly the benchmarks we both saw lead the conclusion that core performance matters more than VRAM.

·
Always Learning
1,160 Posts
We know next gen GPUs will be much faster than what we have now, and presumably they will be able to scale with more Vram than we have now as well. That's how it's always been in the past, I don't think this is going to be the generation of 3D graphics in which more Vram just doesnt matter anymore beyond 10GBs. If anything people should be safely assuming all the games up til now have been designed around console ram limitations and games in next gen will work the same which is why 16GBs at least for a modern GPU feel like a much safer bet to most people.
Sorry you revised your post and added more. I won't be too pendantic because I know what you mean, but technically even current 2080 super and Ti are estimated to be faster than the next gen consoles. For sure the 3080 is.

And the next gen consoles have 16gb Vram total shared by the operating system and any other CPU tasks that games must perform (AI, sound, etc.). Or in other words it'll be a lot less than 16gb available for the GPU. It is actually closer to 10gb and you can see that the new Xbox Series X has 16gb Vram but with 10gb being much more faster than the remaining 6gb. I think we can all assume why they did that and what the GPU will most likely utilize.

Oh and the 3080 has GDDR6x which is much faster than the GDDR6 that both PS5 and Xbox Series X will be using. Much more faster to use and clear out textures from the Vram.

·
Overclocker
3,626 Posts
Sorry you revised your post and added more. I won't be too pendantic because I know what you mean, but technically even current 2080 super and Ti are estimated to be faster than the next gen consoles. For sure the 3080 is.

And the next gen consoles have 16gb Vram total shared by the operating system and any other CPU tasks that games must perform (AI, sound, etc.). Or in other words it'll be a lot less than 16gb available for the GPU. It is actually closer to 10gb and you can see that the new Xbox Series X has 16gb Vram but with 10gb being much more faster than the remaining 6gb. I think we can all assume why they did that and what the GPU will most likely utilize.

Oh and the 3080 has GDDR6x which is much faster than the GDDR6 that both PS5 and Xbox Series X will be using. Much more faster to use and clear out textures from the Vram.
Directly from Nvidia's press docs.

I'm not seeing this "faster" from the 3080 when it comes to adding RT to Fortnite. I cringe to see how the 3070 TI performs even though it has more vram. So you will actually need DLSS just to get the performance you would expect from the 3080.

Or, it's vram bottleneck at just 10GB. Your choice. But remember, this is fortnite.

·
Always Learning
1,160 Posts

I'm not seeing this "faster" from the 3080 when it comes to adding RT to Fortnite. I cringe to see how the 3070 TI performs even though it has more vram. So you will actually need DLSS just to get the performance you would expect from the 3080.

Or, it's vram bottleneck at just 10GB. Your choice. But remember, this is fortnite.
Definitely possible that it may be a Vram bottleneck, but the problem is we don't know. Your picture just shows a 3080 vs a 3080, but a 2080ti vs 3080 here would be telling.

I am concerned about the Vram as well, but to date, there have been no definitive evidence that 10gb is insufficient. Many games just fill up Vram depending on how much Vram your GPU has, but does not have a direct impact on performance. Vram bottlenecks should result in substantial performance loss.

The rest are assumptions about the future. From my other post:

finalheaven said:
I am also concerned about the 10GB VRAM with the 3080. However, as others have said:

1. Most games do not even use 8GB (other than filling whatever is left over just in case). Or in other words, there is not much performance decrease, if any, even using a 6GB. If the amount of VRAM was an issue, performance will be heavily impacted.

2. 3080 uses GDDR6x which has ~40-50% more bandwidth than GDDR6. It can use and clear up textures much more quickly.

3. Most gamers have 8GB of VRAM or less, which means developers will not want to use more than 8GB to maintain high market share.

Counter points though:

1. New consoles (PS5 and Xbox Series X) have 16GB of VRAM but some will be reserved (~2.5gb at least) for the operating system. However, the new consoles both use the slower GDDR6 memory rather than GDDR6x.

2. It is true (as said by someone else) that over time, increased texture complexity and higher pixel loads will only go one direction.

Overall, I have a feeling we will be fine with 10GB for at least a year or two, but probably more.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I'm not sure what that picture is supposed to illustrate except that RTX in Fortnite is incredibly demanding with epic settings. You will undoubtedly be able to adjust the quality of the RTX. The DLSS is performance mode so 1080p with AI upscaling, obviously much much faster than native 4K.

·
The Factory of the Cell
88 Posts

All that image says to me is that Fortnite's RT implementation is really demanding. It doesn't tell me anything about how the 3080 performs relative to other cards, or that 10 GB VRAM isn't enough.

121 - 140 of 162 Posts