Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to do this mod to my board.

Can somebody make a list of the risks/dangers of doing this? This my first mod you see and I'm still not sure whether I should do it or not.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
there aren't any.

Your chip can handle as much as 1.55v vcore, and thus you could stand to handle erratic spikes in voltages. If this was a 45nm chip, this would be a different story.

All the vdroop mod does is eliminate the drop between idle/load and helps stabilize your vcore.

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean, if i did a dodgey soldering job could it "blow up" the board or anything? I can't afford to buy another one.

·
Registered
634 Posts
is it a hard mod or a pencil mod

pencil mods there really isnt a risk as you can always rma the board if you brick it

hard mods void your warranty so you better know exactly what your doing

but honestly how bad is your vdroop that you have to mod the board is it really necessary

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i'm on 1.6V which is the max this board will allow and it shows up as only 1.46 full load in Windows.

You can either pencil or hard mod, however pencil doesn't have as good results. What kind of pencil will i need?

Edit: sorry, just read that i need a HB pencil. So i just "colour" it in huh? Sounds pretty easy

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
I bought my motherboard used, and it had a vdroop mod already applied. At first it was great, but after a few months I've noticed the voltage increases.

Right now I have my cpu voltage set at 1.35V, but it is a constant 1.36V now. If I set it to 1.375V in the bios it goes all the way up to 1.4V.

Not that big of a deal, I could remove it if I wanted, but just make sure you monitor it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
not sure for that board i use a #2 on everything ive pencil modded

but if you need to bridge the connection why not use a conductive ink pen it can come off if you screw it up

EDIT: by the way i have never seen a board with that bad of vdroop are you sure its ok

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much graphite do i need to put on the resistor? I don't want to use too much

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Outcasst View Post
Well i'm on 1.6V which is the max this board will allow and it shows up as only 1.46 full load in Windows.

You can either pencil or hard mod, however pencil doesn't have as good results. What kind of pencil will i need?

Edit: sorry, just read that i need a HB pencil. So i just "colour" it in huh? Sounds pretty easy
you will see good results if you do it right.

All you have to do is shade.

Go to your local business/art supply store and pick up HB pencils, shade it in, and then re-boot and check the amount of vdroop.

Worse comes to worst, you can wash it off with a q-tip and a touch of rubbing alcohol.

If you're doing a hardmod, i wouldn't do it myself, as I can solder for poop.

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will it lower the boards life expectancy?

Edit: Did the mod, increased Vcore slightly from 1.46 to 1.50, but it also increased the idle Vcore to 1.55v. How much pencil do i need to put on?

I have 1.6v in the BIOS btw.

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bump

I have been putting on loads of pencil and i'm still getting 0.11v vdroop. I suppose it's better than 0.14, but it's not enough to get me 3.8GHz. I am using a 9B pencil (which i read is the best for pencil modding).

Is there anything else I can do? Or is this just one of those things that can be done better with a solder mod?

·
Premium Member
8,015 Posts
stick as much graphite on it as possible...

use a 2b if possible, but just rub it ontop of the resistor till it is pretty dark...

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why 2b? I thought the more graphite in the pencil, the better?

·
Premium Member
8,015 Posts
I like the 2B because it is softer, and IMO, it would spread more graphite because it was softer... honestly, it doesnt matter too much what you use, cause you just want a thick blob of graphite on it...

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
try a different type of pencil maybe?

• Rep+
Reactions: Outcasst

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
OK for one if you cant afford another mobo DONT BE VOLT MODDING IT.

Just my advice.

Now as you will notice for one pencil mods are not the best way to go. They are harder to control results, they will fade over time, and generally are not very accurate. However they are easy and relatively painless.

A variable resister will give you far better control and accuracy and will not fade over time. However this requires soldering usually and can kill your board if you dont know what your doing.

Now as far as your issue with your voltage still incuring a vdroop you have to remember that not all voltage mods like this are as good as others. .11vdroop isnt that bad. Its not great but not too bad.

On my IP35-pro I did a vdroop mod with a resister and with dual cores it stayed the same but with quads I would still get about .10vdroop. That was far better then the .3vdroop I had before.

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tried a 3B pencil, and I have got the Vdroop down to 0.048v

This takes me to 1.55v at full load which is on the limits of safe so i'm quite happy. Thanks all

Although i need to take it to 1.57v on idle, does it still damage it? Or not much because it's on idle?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts