Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to set up a chilled water cooled setup with the following components in a triple loop (1x CPU, 2x 6970, 2x 6970):

i7 2600K
4x AMD 6970 GPU's
ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution
G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2200 (PC3 17600) Desktop Memory Model F3-17600CL9D-8GBXLD

Chiller: New LG 15,000 BTU window air conditioner. As large as I could find and still stay 115 V. I went with new for the warranty and if I screw something up in the setup I can claim it was defective and return it to the store.
: I went with a window unit as I plan on kicking the computer heat outside in the spring/summer/fall and heating up the house by bringing the unit inside in the winter.

Components:

Haven't bought a pump, whats considered some of the best these days? Thinking about dual Iwaki MD20RLT. I have to pump 1/2" ID tubing with a total length of about 30 feet. To lessen condensation, was thinking about going Tygon Norprene 1/2" ID 3/4" OD high pressure. http://www.tygon.com/norprene-a60fib...re-tubing.aspx

Some questions on the air conditioner: how cool do you think this unit can get the CPU and 4x GPU's? I am thinking about using this to house the evaporator: http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/P...od_ID=RP091241

It's one of the only ones that I can find that could fit my 25" wide x 5" deep evaporator. Plus if I don't want a super large amount of coolant I could just put water tight containers in there to control the volume. I plan on using distilled water plus water wetter and small blocks of pure silver. I can add propylene glycol to the mix if I somehow get below freezing. I won't use any toxic stuff as I have pets.

Anyone know if this compressor is good at all? I couldn't find anything on Google.

Anyone have any good ideas on bending this evaporator out of the unit? I'd like to extend it out about 5 inches and angle it at 45 deg for the Rubbermaid cooler. I have heard horror stories about kinking the tubing and such, or even worse and venting all of the R-401A. Would a heat gun help at all where I need to straighten/bend?

Any tips in general for what I am trying to accomplish here?

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My thinking has strayed a bit from the chest. With the ice chest I would have to pull the evaporator out, cut a slit for the pipes etc. It would be unwieldy and it would be a huge pain getting the A/C unit in and out of the window with the attached ice chest.

Then I thought, why not make the evaporator ice water container built into the A/C unit itself? There is actually quite a bit of room once the evaporator Styrofoam and fan is removed. Obviously a rigid ice chest would be near impossible to fit in there seeing as the evaporator is just an inch or two shy of the whole unit width.

So then I was thinking, don't they make insulated thermal bags/sacks? I could do a layered insulated bag type setup. Wrap the whole evaporator in the bag and there would be a single exit/entry point for all lines/connections that could easily be sealed air tight. This would allow the whole unit to be self contained nice and tidy plus I wouldn't have to do much if any tube bending.

So the compressor and condenser coil hangs outside dumping all the heat and noise. The only thing inside the house is the evaporator and everything else is sealed. With no evaporator fan and the evaporator chamber sealed from the condenser chamber, you could see how this would be a quite quiet setup. I could insulate the temperature probe so that at lower temperatures it thinks its at a higher temperature so I could control it with the remote.

Now the hard part is finding large, tough, durable, thermal insulated bags.

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quadfire is horrifc man. Btw, if you hose the chiller modding it you should man up accept it not commit fraud.

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where have you seen quadfire being horrific? On the new 69xx series all I've seen is it working pretty good in some benchmarks. lol @ fraud, are you serious?

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CallsignVega
View Post

lol @ fraud, are you serious?

He's got a good point, and what you described doing is considered fraud.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CallsignVega
View Post

Chiller: New LG 15,000 BTU window air conditioner. As large as I could find and still stay 115 V. I went with new for the warranty and if I screw something up in the setup I can claim it was defective and return it to the store.
:
I went with a window unit as I plan on kicking the computer heat outside in the spring/summer/fall and heating up the house by bringing the unit inside in the winter.

Not, that's not a fraudulent practice at all.

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler;12064451
Benchmarks and real playing are different things.

In my experience, at least with the 580s and the 5870s, benchamrks scale great, but games don't scale above 3 cards. Even with the 69xx series.

Anyhow, good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfire;12064683
Here are some numbers for 1x vs 2x vs 3x vs 4x HD6970 (from Lab501)

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Flab501.ro%2Fplaci-video%2Fhis-hd-6970-studiu-de-scalare-in-configuratii-multi-card%2F6&act=url

Poor translation (as usual) but the graphs are nice.
Ya, those are at a low 2560x1600 resolution and quad-fire still shows scaling. I will be running 3x 30" so quadfire should prove fairly useful.

FC2-25601.jpg

WH-25601.jpg

Unigine-25600.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********;12065293
Not, that's not a fraudulent practice at all.
rolleyes.gif
If for the small chance I had to return it, they wouldn't know the difference between a faulty unit and a slightly modified one. You think they care? Back when I was in high-school I used to work retail and people would return questionable stuff all the time. No one could care less as in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. I don't think I'll lose any sleep over the hardware store anti-modified air conditioner return law.
rolleyes.gif

It's just like people that buy video cards/CPU's with non-overclock warranties. They overclock them and if they fail, they RMA them as DOA. If you don't think that happens constantly, you are naive.

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbaldwin86;12069539
Amazing build, watching....

You can see by those benchmarks... 2x huge increase, 3x a more, 4x just a little more. Oh well if you can do it, why not right?
You can see in the Heaven benchmark, quad crossfire has almost 400% scaling versus 1 card. That's incredible.

I think with the 12.3 mega pixels I will push, quad 6970 should work out pretty sweet.

·
Watercooling Enthusiast
4,814 Posts
why would you build with a 2600k for quadfire? don't you need the extra lanes offered by the i7 in order to get the most out of this build? seems like it will just hold you back. Better cpu of course (except for 980x), but it will seriously hurt your gpus by using it.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fat_italian_stallion
View Post

why would you build with a 2600k for quadfire? don't you need the extra lanes offered by the i7 in order to get the most out of this build? seems like it will just hold you back. Better cpu of course (except for 980x), but it will seriously hurt your gpus by using it.

PCI Lanes are overrated anyways, difference between x4 and x16 is only a couple % of your FPS.

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fat_italian_stallion
View Post

Through research I've found the P67's total PCI-E 16x lanes to the CPU might hurt performance a little, but not drastically. I will benchmark this build with two cards against my current X58 build to see if theres any difference.

I was thinking about going 990x on a X58, but decent quad-fire boards haven't been released yet let alone the CPU. The UD9 was discontinued pending the new boards.

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehorse55;12082698
It's okay, what are you comparing it to? Why do you ask?
I was thinking about making the evaporator water housing out of acrylic. This would make a nice permanent setup in the front of the air conditioner housing. I am just curious as to how low the water temp in the tank could get with 3/8" acrylic before condensation forms at about 50% humidity at 70 degrees F.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehorse55;12073624
PCI Lanes are overrated anyways, difference between x4 and x16 is only a couple % of your FPS.
Although, if you're going to be run quadfire for that extra small % increase in real-world performance, you'd think that the performance hit by the pci-lane restriction would be considered.

All that aside, I don't understand why so many people are hating on this. If he wants to, and is willing to purchase a quadfire setup, then let him do it. He's not asking whether this would be the most efficient way to spend his money, he just stated that he wants to do (to each his own).

As for the fraud comments, once again, I don't understand why some people are getting worked up about this. Let him try to take it in. If they accept the return without noticing that it was modded rather than a factory defect, bad on them. I wouldn't lose sleep over it either.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts