Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking of doing a raid 0. is it worth it to raid0 my system. its going to cost me about $200.00 for another drive. right now i got my new q9450 oc to 3.4ghz 1.36v. or im i better off spending the money for a better cpu?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
That's like asking "Should I buy a pack of gum or a Snickers bar?"

If you have braces, the gum could be a mess.
If you're allergic to chocolate, the Snickers bar could be a problem.

So, it depends.

...on how much you use your HDD. Basically A RAID0 array will give you faster boot times, faster program loads and faster access the the paging file. Kind of the same things a faster CPU will do, but the CPU will do even more things faster.

Usually, installing a RAID0 array is something you do after your CPU/memory is maxed and you're still looking for more speed.

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post
Usually, installing a RAID0 array is something you do after your CPU/memory is maxed and you're still looking for more speed better system performance.
^^

though, even without maxing cpu, your system will become more responsive, in a non-processing way. is it worth 200 bucks? that's a personal question that you need to decide. it's really hard applying benchmarks to your possible, actual benefits because every system is different. personally, i didn't like the performance increase until i installed 4 raptors in a raid-0.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I have 2 Raptors in RAID 0 and 4 Spinpoints in RAID 0+1.

When installing SP1 for Vista it takes an hour or longer they say.

Mine takes MAX 20min... So I guess it's because the RAID setup. (Combined with Q9450 and 8Gb)

This is my first self-build system so I couldn't compare to a single Raptor...

Also remember that RAID 0 adds the two drives together in terms of Gb so you will have 600Gb AND faster read/write speeds

1 - 4 of 4 Posts