Votes: 11 40.7%
  • C300 256GB

Votes: 16 59.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the Vertex 3 is obviously a lot faster.

But the C300 gives me enough space for my photography, my programs AND my games, and it's nice to run everything on <0.1ms access time.

On the other hand, the Vertex 3 will load my projects faster, game maps, windows boot.. everything else I assume will remain the same.

I'm asking because the Vertex 3 120GB costs 300$ and I can get a C300 256GB for 360$.

So, what would YOU do?

·
Banned
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickwm;13046465
Isn't the 256GB drive still a lot more expensive? I think you could be fine with 120GB, plus faster loading speeds in most areas. If you really do then just RAID them and blow minds with the speed
biggrin.gif

I vote for the Vertex 3.
I remember when I built my Q6600 rig 3 years ago, I used up more than 100GB just on game installs. And today, one game can take a fifth of that..

Plus my potentially 100GB+ of photography that all needs to be on the same drive, when I get back to shooting..

And there are a lot of programs that I use and obviously it's easier to render files onto the C drive and not have to look for it elsewhere on some slow HDD..

Heck, I'd get 512GB if I could afford it.

On the other hand, I find myself somewhat addicted to the 500MB/s of the Vertex 3. To not be limited by my Drive performance anymore..

And also, these things don't drop in price.. they just don't, unfortunately.
So, getting another Vertex 3 is not going to be possible..

That is.. until a Vertex 4 comes out, with 750MB/s and I'll come back and ask the same question here..

·
Premium Member
12,389 Posts
I don't think SSDs are really meant for photography... Having the photography program on it will be sufficient? Maybe. I don't know I'm no pro.

2 V3's 120GB's are just $100 more than a 256GB C300. For the 500Mb/s speeds, especially in RAID, I'd say you better be finding an extra $100 somewhere :)

·
Banned
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickwm;13046538
I don't think SSDs are really meant for photography... Having the photography program on it will be sufficient? Maybe. I don't know I'm no pro.

2 V3's 120GB's are just $100 more than a 256GB C300. For the 500Mb/s speeds, especially in RAID, I'd say you better be finding an extra $100 somewhere :)
Actually, they'd be 200$, 250$ if I can actually get the C300 for 360$, or about the same price individually.

The only other alternative I have is to buy 4 HDDs and RAID them. That might yield me 300MB/s, but it would cost around the same, and I'd have useless capacity, which I don't need because I have a NAS.

I mean, I can get four 1TB drives for.. 240$. There is nothing lower than 1TB these days, since it costs 60$. But the high access time, high fail rate.. extra heat, power, noise, etc.

*sigh*

If only 512GB could be 500$.

·
Premium Member
12,389 Posts
Ohhh I didn't search hard. I just want to the Egg and saw the $489 price tag. Hmm. Now that I see that they are almost the same price...I think my opinion has changed. Ha. Twice the space for $60...yeah dude that's hard to pass up. The C300 256GB version is still damn fast.

edit* Wow just noticed you had that in the op. Apologies for completely missing that somehow.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Misread the OP. Thought you already had a C300, but it was a C400.

I would still get the C300 for $60 more though. If you're thinking cost right now (which I assume you are), $/GB is by far in the C300's favor. It's still a very fast drive, nonetheless.

·
Banned
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftshinobi;13046588
Misread the OP. Thought you already had a C300, but it was a C400.

I would still get the C300 for $60 more though. If you're thinking cost right now (which I assume you are), $/GB is by far in the C300's favor. It's still a very fast drive, nonetheless.
I just don't know if the increase in bandwidth is worth it.. since I never had anything that did more than 300MB/s.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
If you need the capacity and don't have the extra money for two OCZ Vertex 3's, I vote for the Crucial C300 as well. At the end of the day, your eye will seldom notice the performance difference between either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.