Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say that thanks for all the information and help this forum has given me! I just recently switched over from an AMD 5200+ setup to the one you see in my sig now and wow, amazing difference. With just 30 minutes of overclocking I got the CPU to a stable(for now) 4.2Ghz, temps staying just around 60. Before I messed with anything, on my last setup I ran 3Dmark06 and got 9160. I tried overclocking that setup, and was able to get up to 10877 and I hit a wall, couldn't go any higher. But with this new setup, wow! Just installed, no OC on anything, I scored a 13828! I have overclocked my CPU and GPU's and now my score has gone up to 18989!!! What a difference. Thank you guys for all the stickies about overclocking, and endless threads about it. You are my hero's. Thanks a bunch! This CPU still has some juice in her, I just need more cooling...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yah... I'd say you need a lot more cooling. 60 is very hot, that should be your limit, under load. Are you on AIR? I'm no expert overclocker, infact I just got into it not too long ago with my newest build, but I hope you're not keeping 4.2 24/7, it just generates heat which wastes energy, and kills your CPU faster. Probably don't take my word for it, but 60 in my opinion should be the limit, not the average.

I hope you're doing a lot of stability testing if you DO decided to go for a 24/7 overclock. Make sure you're stressing both cores simeltaneously.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
great
. always a pleasure to see a successful OC

enjoy the new system ^^

oh, and moar pics

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by thurst0n View Post
Yah... I'd say you need a lot more cooling. 60 is very hot, that should be your limit, under load. Are you on AIR? I'm no expert overclocker, infact I just got into it not too long ago with my newest build, but I hope you're not keeping 4.2 24/7, it just generates heat which wastes energy, and kills your CPU faster. Probably don't take my word for it, but 60 in my opinion should be the limit, not the average.

I hope you're doing a lot of stability testing if you DO decided to go for a 24/7 overclock. Make sure you're stressing both cores simeltaneously.
Yea I'm on air, sorry I meant stays at 60 under load, at idle it's at ~38-40C. It won't be staying air for long though, Christmas coming up I might treat myself to a phase change system =)

I keep fooling around with settings, got it at 4.3 Ghz now stable, 3DMark06 score 19426! Second best for e8400 and 8800GT's by only 150, at least from what I could see from searching.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=449226
^4.0Ghz

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=449210
^4.3Ghz

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=449219
^4.5Ghz

It's not too pretty inside right now but here you go! Oh and my Vendetta 2 will be here tomorrow , so the Zalman will be gone. Kinda looks cool now though with the DuOrbs and the Zalman having the same circular finned copper look.

I need to do some re-wiring =/

edit: and get a better camera.

Even though the 4.3 was stable, I decided to just go with 4.0Ghz for now, not much I can do on 4.3 that I can't on 4.0 so until I get some better cooling I'm going to stick with 4.0Ghz. I only need a CPU volt of 1.264 with 4.0Ghz as compared to 1.375 at 4.3, definite decrease in temp between the two.

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMason
View Post

I dont think I could work or game in a chair like that, I would just end up taking a nap!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got my OCZ Vendetta 2 in today! Man this thing is a beast. Works a lottttt better than the zalman I had on. Temps under load at 1.365V dropped from 65-68 to 47-50! I did some more overclocking today and ran 3DMark06 again, 21744! Best public score for E8400-E8600 with 8800GT's by over 2000 points. This setup is awesome, the 8800GT in SLI is doing amazingly well, better than I expected. I'm running 4.25Ghz now 1.36Vcore and it loves it. I also cleaned up the wiring in my case so it's a little prettier now, I'll try to get some pics soon.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=8969782

1 - 12 of 12 Posts