Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if 'Everest' is correctly reading my temperatures because 20mins of Prime95, running the max heat test. My CPU hits 67DegC but its stable., and the PC does not fall over or have any problems running at this temp.

I'm not sure how good 'PC Wizard 2010' is but it reports 'Processor Thermal Diode' around the same temp, only .5DegC lower. But it also has a 'Processor' temp at 31DegC (tOffset:16°C) which Everest reports as 'Motherboard temp'.

Which is correct?
What is tOffset?

I can also use a WMware virtual machine (Ubuntu) and itunes and browse and stuff at the same time and no problems!!

The CPU heat Sink is not ouch! hot to touch, just quite hot. I would have expected it to be a lot hotter.

I re-seated and applied new thermal compound, trying different amounts of the stuff and I get the same result. I even have tried different brands of thermal compound, I get the same high CPU temperature under Prine95. So I think the CPU is being cooled properly.

Where could the problem be?

Is my CPU running at 67DegC in Prime95 or could there be a sensor issue?

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
What temps does your BIOS state?

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
You're probably running at 67 degrees. Fortunately, Everest puts a nearly 100% load on your CPU, which nothing else really manages to do.

Your CPU heatsink will never be as hot as your CPU. If it's hot to the touch, then your CPU is hotter.

tOffset is just one of many temperature sensors on your system. It's not your CPU temperature. Try Realtemp if you want to confirm the Everest temperature.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

The CPU cooler does work very well, when my CPU comes off full load the CPU temperature drops very quickly. So the CPU cooler dissipates heat very well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't noticed Everest taking excessive CPU, I have it running all the time i the background.

Also this RealTemp app mentioned seems only for work with Intel CPUs, I not sure about these apps. There are lots on the market but all seem to report slightly different temperatures, give different titles to the fans.

To me Motherboard monitoring seems a bit messed up!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've even gone to the extent of putting the small VGA heat sinks on the rear baseplate, they do get warm under full load. Also I am forcing some of the airflow under the motherboard.

I have tried the create a duct to separate the back(top) of GTX275 from the Northbridge and CPU. The video card gets very hot with [email protected] CUDA and heat rises so I wanted to test, forcing the heat to vent out the back. I need more testing with this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts