·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
4 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single @x16, dual @x8, triple @x8, x16, x16

Thats straight from newegg. Honestly it doesnt make a whole lot of sense that it would drop to 2x x8 for dual but jump up 2 of the 3 back to 16x for triple... but at any rate if it is correct in how it is written, you want the sound card in the first slot which will operate at x8, giving both your hpus a full x16 (not that it REALLY matters, x8 doesn't hurt performance much at all tbh)

But yeah it WILL work in a x4/8/16 lane even though its a x1 card.

• Rep+
Reactions: MeeMoo220

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to throttle the GPUs by putting then close to each other, but I also don't want to throttle them by giving the sound card a fast lane and cutting up the bandwidth.
ideas?

If I say anything stupid, excuse me, I haven't been into this in a while and my memory fails me.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeeMoo220
View Post

I don't want to throttle the GPUs by putting then close to each other, but I also don't want to throttle them by giving the sound card a fast lane and cutting up the bandwidth.
ideas?

If I say anything stupid, excuse me, I haven't been into this in a while and my memory fails me.

no you are totally right.

Looks like you are going for a big budget pc though. You could use better coolers and not worry about them being close.....

Then again you might wanna make sure newegg actually has it right with those specs... like i said it seems odd that they would have dual operating at 8 8 when triple runs at 8 16 16. maybe its a typo and they really mean 8 4 4.

• Rep+
Reactions: MeeMoo220

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero4549
View Post

no you are totally right.

Looks like you are going for a big budget pc though. You could use better coolers and not worry about them being close.....

Then again you might wanna make sure newegg actually has it right with those specs... like i said it seems odd that they would have dual operating at 8 8 when triple runs at 8 16 16. maybe its a typo and they really mean 8 4 4.

Crap, I've exhausted the budget by now and water cooling is not even a possibility.. Guess' Ill skip the sound card.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeeMoo220
View Post

Crap, I've exhausted the budget by now and water cooling is not even a possibility.. Guess' Ill skip the sound card.

Well again check those specs with a third party. They just seem wrong and if it REALLY is 8x 4x 4x than you arnt going to be doing any damage with the sound card in the middle.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOmega;13130200
Also the EMI between the two GPUs' can cause static issues with your sound card.
Thats true, thought his card was shielded though o.0

If not its not expensive to make a shield.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutlawII
View Post

You mean like this. Been workin fine!

no sli bridge or just removed for the shot o.0

·
Registered
566 Posts
The specs are correct. In order to get 16x/16x you need to populate another pci lane. If you put the sound card in the first slot it will be 8x then GPU in second slot 16x and GPU in third slot 16x. If you dont have a 3rd PCI-e lane populated you will only get 8x/8x. The gigabyte UD7 board has 16x/16x without having to populate a 3rd PCI-e lane. Although it has been not been documented to increase performance in any measurable way,

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeMoo220;13130261
You're on X58, doesn't P67 have a bandwidth limitation?
The P67 chip is limited in the amount of PCI-e lanes in can handle. The boards that support 16x/16x have a NF200 chip to "add" additional lanes.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuiees
View Post

The specs are correct. In order to get 16x/16x you need to populate another pci lane. If you put the sound card in the first slot it will be 8x then GPU in second slot 16x and GPU in third slot 16x. If you dont have a 3rd PCI-e lane populated you will only get 8x/8x. The gigabyte UD7 board has 16x/16x without having to populate a 3rd PCI-e lane. Although it has been not been documented to increase performance in any measurable way,

Hope that helps.

The P67 chip is limited in the amount of PCI-e lanes in can handle. The boards that support 16x/16x have a NF200 chip to "add" additional lanes.

So, if I want all 3 cards in there, I have to sandwich the GPUs and have the sound card at the top? :/

And if I position them as GPU-DAC-GPU, they all run at 8x or something?

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeMoo220;13130676
So, if I want all 3 cards in there, I have to sandwich the GPUs and have the sound card at the top? :/

And if I position them as GPU-DAC-GPU, they all run at 8x or something?
if you want full x16 on both cards yes you need dac gpu gpu

If you run it as gpu dac gpu, your first gpu will drop to x8 (keep in mind that all benchies show very little difference between x8 and x16)

On the up side, having your dac up top will reduce static (although like i said static isnt a huge deal if your card is shielded... im pretty sure yours is but if im wrong you can always make one)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts