Overclock.net banner

VF3000A new installation/high load temps on 5850.

2219 Views 22 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  cemchris420
I was having issues with the temperature on my 5850 due to dust and high ambient temps, so I asked people on xs.org what would be a nice replacement. They recommended the VF3000A w/stock heatsinks base plate for the RAM/VRM. I went out and bought one today, and my temps are INSANE. 40c idle, 100+c load. It BSOD's after hitting 103c.

Anyone run into issues like this with a VF3000A on a slightly overvolted but not overclocked 5850? I'm trying to make use of this overclock, but the aftermarket heatsink is worse than the stock heatsink with a bad bearing. It's also noisier :|

I bought the last one in stock, and am more than willing to return it, even with a restocking fee. What's an alternative to cool the 5850 aside from what I already have? Should I grab a VF3000N? Ideas?

Thanks
biggrin.gif
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AXP = Athlon XP last time I checked
tongue.gif
Explain please? lol

I'm mainly wondering if I did something wrong with installing this heatsink. I tried taking it off and putting it back on, the TIM (MX4) was making nice contact.
frown.gif

EDIT: Subscribed via. Email notification! Too bad gmail notifier doesn't work! BAH I hate this system.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW @ the prices on everything from Arctic cooling. Can't afford that. Has to be $60 or less
frown.gif

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Accelero Xtreme Plus = $70+ on newegg.

I've been playing with my case airflow, and it's not helping much. Got the load temp down to 85c with the fan at 100%. It's so noisy though.

There are little O rings that go around the screws that poke through the card...I read something about how there's some kind of issue with them. No details though. Could temps improve if I get rid of them?

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
O-Rings are there I guess as a little bit of a spacer, and so you don't squeeze the card when you tighten the heatsink down I suppose?

Yes it came with VRM heatsinks, but I didn't use them. I'm using the stock heatsinks base plate, which many other people are doing without any issues. (Zalman can't make a RAMsink that'll stay on, so I won't even bother using them)

fans are definitely spinning. They're extremely loud.

Ambient temps are 85f right now. Don't judge. I know it's very hot.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is plenty of air, and everything is installed correctly. The VRM heatsink from the stock cooler is still installed. I gave up and exchanged it for a VF1000, which has slightly better temps under load. Only 70c with the fan at 100%, and much quieter.

How the hell are you all getting your cards down to 50-60c under full load, with a real nice overclock? I'm still at stock here...with a fan on my side panel to help blow cool air to the area. VRM's get up to about 75c...

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well this was kind of an emergency considering the stock fan gave out on me completely, and I need my computer to run. I had $60 and a Micro Center nearby. If they weren't around, i'd have to find a way to do everything I need to without a computer--not really possible.

This VF1000 works for now. I'll throw ramsinks on the VRM to lower temps a little more in 2 weeks when i've got a little more than $10 in my pocket.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now that i've replaced the heatsink--no. I don't think I could RMA it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.