Overclock.net banner

VF3000A new installation/high load temps on 5850.

2222 Views 22 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  cemchris420
I was having issues with the temperature on my 5850 due to dust and high ambient temps, so I asked people on xs.org what would be a nice replacement. They recommended the VF3000A w/stock heatsinks base plate for the RAM/VRM. I went out and bought one today, and my temps are INSANE. 40c idle, 100+c load. It BSOD's after hitting 103c.

Anyone run into issues like this with a VF3000A on a slightly overvolted but not overclocked 5850? I'm trying to make use of this overclock, but the aftermarket heatsink is worse than the stock heatsink with a bad bearing. It's also noisier :|

I bought the last one in stock, and am more than willing to return it, even with a restocking fee. What's an alternative to cool the 5850 aside from what I already have? Should I grab a VF3000N? Ideas?

Thanks
biggrin.gif
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Banned
8,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfromyou;14208463
Accelero Xtreme Plus = $70+ on newegg.

I've been playing with my case airflow, and it's not helping much. Got the load temp down to 85c with the fan at 100%. It's so noisy though.

There are little O rings that go around the screws that poke through the card...I read something about how there's some kind of issue with them. No details though. Could temps improve if I get rid of them?
Id be finding another place to shop... thats a rip off markup.

The O rings are prolly insulators to stop shorting... I wouldnt touch em.

With the kit, did it have Vram heat sinks? If so, are they secure?
Can you see the fan spinning? I know you said it was at 100% BUT is it actually moving?
What are your ambient (room) temps?

· Banned
8,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfromyou;14208639
O-Rings are there I guess as a little bit of a spacer, and so you don't squeeze the card when you tighten the heatsink down I suppose?

Yes it came with VRM heatsinks, but I didn't use them. I'm using the stock heatsinks base plate, which many other people are doing without any issues. (Zalman can't make a RAMsink that'll stay on, so I won't even bother using them)

fans are definitely spinning. They're extremely loud.

Ambient temps are 85f right now. Don't judge. I know it's very hot.
I know about Zalman's HS... if you heat them up before applying, they do stick (hairdryers are great).

So, does the base plate touch the VRAMS? Are the old pads still on them?

Ambients do, unfortunately, play a big part when it comes to air cooling.

Do you have a side fan on your panel? If you can, placing one there may assist in air flow.

The only other suggestion is to re-seat the cooler again and see if that makes any difference.

· Banned
8,838 Posts
Id really suggest save your pennies and get the Arctic Cooling option mentioned before. I know they are $$$ but it is worth every cent.

The other upside with Arctic Heat sinks is that most of them are universal and you only need to but the adapter plate and VRAM kits. Typically, they are about $10.

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vg...ro.html?c=2182

· Banned
8,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfromyou;14220106
Well this was kind of an emergency considering the stock fan gave out on me completely, and I need my computer to run. I had $60 and a Micro Center nearby. If they weren't around, i'd have to find a way to do everything I need to without a computer--not really possible.

This VF1000 works for now. I'll throw ramsinks on the VRM to lower temps a little more in 2 weeks when i've got a little more than $10 in my pocket.
Well, that sucks. Didnt know the fan went belly up. Can you RMA it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.