Overclock.net banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Premium Member
27,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfromyou;14208017
I was having issues with the temperature on my 5850 due to dust and high ambient temps, so I asked people on xs.org what would be a nice replacement. They recommended the VF3000A w/stock heatsinks base plate for the RAM/VRM. I went out and bought one today, and my temps are INSANE. 40c idle, 100+c load. It BSOD's after hitting 103c.

Anyone run into issues like this with a VF3000A on a slightly overvolted but not overclocked 5850? I'm trying to make use of this overclock, but the aftermarket heatsink is worse than the stock heatsink with a bad bearing. It's also noisier :|

I bought the last one in stock, and am more than willing to return it, even with a restocking fee. What's an alternative to cool the 5850 aside from what I already have? Should I grab a VF3000N? Ideas?

Thanks
biggrin.gif
Did you remove the clear plastic film form the base of the vf3000a?

I used one on a 5870/1GHz/1.25v and my temps rarely saw 60°c under heavy load, gaming was in the 40's.
In fact running it passive got me better temps than you.

· Pink Freud
2,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunion;14227028
Did you remove the clear plastic film form the base of the vf3000a?

I used one on a 5870/1GHz/1.25v and my temps rarely saw 60°c under heavy load, gaming was in the 40's.
In fact running it passive got me better temps than you.
This.

What seems to be the problem is either installation or the card itself.

· Registered
1 Posts
I just installed a VF1000 on my 5850 stock clock and under load Im at 46 C. Stock under load was 63 C. Used the Ram heatsinks and left the stock VRM heatsink in place (the stupid VRM R3 wouldnt fit on my card). Yours seems pretty hot.

Stockcompare.jpg

Upgradecompare.jpg

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.