N6hv4e2.png

http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/12/watch-dogs-minimum-pc-specs-released/
Quote:
Processor: IntelCore 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz or AMDPhenom II X4 940 3.0Ghz
Memory: 6GB RAM
Video card: 1024 VRAM DirectX 11 Shader 5.0
Sound Card: DirectX9
Hard drive: 25 GB
At this point, people fall into 2 camps.
teaching.gif

1. The group that says this is way too high for minimum specs and game is probably poorly optimized.

2. The group that says this is expected because WD is a next-gen title.

Which camp are you?

·
Programmer
28,683 Posts
Come on. Memory prices are at a all time high. So, they are promoting the need for RAM, to force users into buying crap RAM at a premium price.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Depends.

If the graphics were downgraded like what was seen in the comparisons of the latest trailers vs the 2012 gameplay, then I'd be in camp 1 and think it's poorly optimized trash.

If the graphics were only downgraded for consoles and max settings were able to achieve the visuals shown from the 2012 reveal, then I wont mind. I have 16GB of ram so it'd be nice if it were being used in games, even if only half. Judging by the min requirements I'd have no problem meeting or exceeding the recommended requirements anyway
biggrin.gif

·
Software Developer
7,238 Posts
If a program is effectively utilizing this "6GB of RAM" or 4GB of RAM, since the OS is factored in to these recommendations, I have absolutely NO problem with it. If it is just bloat then obviously I am not for it. If it is for caching, then I am again for it. If it's a memory leak, obviously I am against it. There is no benefit to having the RAM capacity and not using it, as long as its effective.

However, my 32GB of RAM is ready.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I don't pay much attention to game spec requirements but this seems all over the place. And old quadcore cpu, lots of ram, and a gpu with only 1gig of vram? A gpu with only 1GB of vram nowadays is either an entry level card or and old card. (my 3 year old 580 has 1.5GB vram)

although I could be completely off my rocker...

·
waifu for lifu
11,598 Posts
If current gameplay doesnt match E3 'gameplay' trailer, not buying Ubisoft.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Camp 1. Poorly optimized. My trust in developers to make proper PC versions of their games has been brutally violated and manhandled lately. This is ubisoft we're dealing with, and my last experience with a Ubi PC port was Far Cry 3, which was so horribly optimized that I still refuse to finish the game to this day. Ubisoft has a poor track record with PC lately.

Remember the last game to require 6GB minimum? COD Ghosts? Even worse optimized than Far Cry 3. Runs like total trash.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock999 View Post

Which camp are you?
I'm in the Colonial Marines camp... Where we see beautiful CG based gameplay on rails to capture our wallets and get delivered a half-assed GTA-Assassins Creed mutated baby with one eye and 3 legs...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain View Post

If a program is effectively utilizing this "6GB of RAM" or 4GB of RAM, since the OS is factored in to these recommendations, I have absolutely NO problem with it. If it is just bloat then obviously I am not for it. If it is for caching, then I am again for it. If it's a memory leak, obviously I am against it. There is no benefit to having the RAM capacity and not using it, as long as its effective.

agree'd I've yet to play a SINGLE game that used more than like 2gbs of ram, I've not played anything NEW lately but in the last two years my 8gbs of ram has never been fully utilized... I've topped out at like 4.5 gbs max.

but my 7870 is shader 5.0 ready so WOO

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain View Post

agree'd I've yet to play a SINGLE game that used more than like 2gbs of ram, I've not played anything NEW lately but in the last two years my 8gbs of ram has never been fully utilized... I've topped out at like 4.5 gbs max.

but my 7870 is shader 5.0 ready so WOO
You have to go back to nv 200 series and amd 4000 series to find gpus that don't have shader 5.0

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Eh I'm I'm not gonna make a judgement on the ram until we see how optimized this engine is. I'd imagine it would still possibly run on four even if they say it won't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

Come on. Memory prices are at a all time high. So, they are promoting the need for RAM, to force users into buying crap RAM at a premium price.
Because Ubisoft makes ram, right?

·
You broke it!
14,298 Posts
Well, this just confirms what we have been saying in the other thread about the shots they showed us at E3 compared to the new shots they are showing us. They absolutely trashed the visuals in the PC edition, and it will look like another crap console port.

Had they kept the visual fidelity from E3, the minimum system requirements would be higher.

EDIT: That or the "Recommended" requirements are much higher...

1 - 20 of 114 Posts