Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Little Devil PC-V10 Phase change case and would like to quiet it down.

The fan strapped to the condenser is the main culprit!

Ideally I would like to reduce compressor vibrations and kill as much as the noise as possible.

Been looking at sticking foam sheets to the side panels which should kill the fan noise off but not got a clue how to isolate the compressor properly?

Any suggestions? Anyone know any sound proof foams that actually works?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Foam on a part that is causing the vibrating or foam on a part that is vibrating from the other thing? Foam is good for decoupling (don't use open cell) but not good for stopping the other things that are vibrating as a result of another thing. Use dynamat or the similar sticky tar material that looks like dynamat extreme that you can buy at the hardware store. I forgot it's real use (maybe roofing) but you will find it and it costs far less than dynamat extreme. I side by side comparison of the 2 will leave you clueless as to if you should or should not believe dynamat's claims.

Completely decoupling the things that are causing the noise and dynamatting the other things should help tremendously. Don't use dynamat original it does not stick very well. I have seen tons of cars that had it for a few years where it came off the inside of the door and caused a malfunction in the window mechanism. The soft tar like stuff with the shinny foil side will never ever come off. I have seen it used to cover every inch of the inside of a car and I honestly doubt it would have sounded better with dynamat brand. I have seen similar materials used by car manufacturers as well.

edit

Also found this... http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Explains that you do not need to cover the entire area with the sound damper so you could use a very small amount on the case panels or any other panels that vibrate. Also explains about other things you can use but you will be very limited in space on the inside of a computer. It makes me laugh because it says get the idea of shinny silver car interiors out of your head. I can't tell you how many times I have seen that done. Again why I am reluctant to listen to a word Dynamat says.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
Sorry but noise dampening foam wont help much and will likely cause overheating.

Phase and quiet dont mix...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdumper View Post

Sorry but noise dampening foam wont help much and will likely cause overheating.

Depending on the frequency of the noise dampening foam and dampening vinyl will help a lot. Unless it is obstructing a fan or something it wouldn't cause any problems heat wise but intakes and exhaust areas will let out a lot of noise anyways. It would be like having a sound proof home and opening up all the windows. So really at best all he can do is try to get rid of all the vibrations which may be causing a lot of the noise.

I don't know your situation and I doubt this is an options but I have seen people plumb the air intake and exhausts on computers. The idea there is that you are using PVC pipes going to another room or a closet or something. In the other room you can use larger more powerful fans and not hear it. For you though it would allow you to seal the system so that less noise leaks out and you can use huge powerful AC (DC w/ a PSU if you want) fans to get enough air through the system to cool the compressor. I doubt you want to go through all that though. If you do that however make sure you use sound proof tape to tape up any spots sound can leak out of. It does exist and it is used to tape around outlets and other holes when installing sound proof drywall. I am not sure exactly what it is called though.

The bottom line though is compressors are loud that is why they are located outside of the house in your AC systems. Also vibrations have to be tackled before the sound itself because if your case panels are vibrating then all the noise dampening material in the world wont help since the sound is coming from the panel itself.

edit

also while the system is running try pushing your finger against certain spots of the computer. The compressor, panels, other areas to see if that reduces a noise. If it does that is an area that either needs the dynamat like stuff or needs to be decoupled with closed cell foam. I would guess that the manufacturer decoupled the compressor as best they could though. If they didn't then shame on them but at least that leaves you a project.

·
Banned
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

What about compressor isolation Scott? Is there any methods or techniques that I can use to reduce them?

As I said the biggest culprit is the fan, so I could always change that if need be.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
If you can find fans with high CFM and low noise then that might help but just adding foam to the side panels and top wont help and if they obstruct the air flow will cause heating issues for your compressor. Now if you were to move the compressor condensor out side the house somehow (think home AC units) then that would certainly help.

I really wish I could offer a better solution but everything I have personally tried hasnt helped much and in one case I burned out my compressor.

Things to consider:
Majority of your noise comes from your intake and exhaust fans.
Minor amount comes from your compressor unless your running a Rotary or you dont have the rubber feet

·
Banned
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

If you can find fans with high CFM and low noise then that might help but just adding foam to the side panels and top wont help and if they obstruct the air flow will cause heating issues for your compressor. Now if you were to move the compressor condensor out side the house somehow (think home AC units) then that would certainly help.

I really wish I could offer a better solution but everything I have personally tried hasnt helped much and in one case I burned out my compressor.

Things to consider:
Majority of your noise comes from your intake and exhaust fans.
Minor amount comes from your compressor unless your running a Rotary or you dont have the rubber feet
It's a little case so internal space all around the compressor is pretty good so I could get away with a good few mm's of foam.

Every little helps
thumb.gif

Trying to figure out how best to isolate the compressor a bit more as it does vibrate the case a fair bit, it's on rubber but its held in place with a nut, bolt and washer and doesn't use the pins with a clip like my old NL11F was mounted.

Also thinking about mounting it on wood as that should help?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Scott is right, you won't get rid of the comp noise or the vibration from it really.
The comp in the pic below is bolted to a 36mm MDF base in an attempt to add some damping, but in all honesty, it's just as noisy as it was when bolted to a steel plate.
As Scott also said, quiet and phase are just not compatible, even more so the larger you go up the comp scale

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitfit1 View Post

Scott is right, you won't get rid of the comp noise or the vibration from it really.
The comp in the pic below is bolted to a 36mm MDF base in an attempt to add some damping, but in all honesty, it's just as noisy as it was when bolted to a steel plate.
As Scott also said, quiet and phase are just not compatible, even more so the larger you go up the comp scale

Yep there's a reason they put home AC Compressors outside the house and on roofs...

·
Banned
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorted it boys.... Changed the fan for a whisper quiet one with roughly the same CFM, made some adjustments to the compressed mounting and you would swear it's water cooled now.

Only get a slight rattle everyone in a blue moon...

Little Devil must just use a rubbish mounting system

Kit your single stage is still a beast
thumb.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts