Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be for my mom's HTPC. She plays no games, but she watches a lot of movies and wants picture quality to be *crystal* clear. I'm a little confused on what to get, either ATi or nVidia, I have no preference. Needs to be PCI-e, and relatively cheap.

And I need to get a TV tuner, so somebody recommend one of those lol. How do they work? You plug your coax into the TV tuner, and the TV signal comes out of the video card?

One more thing. I want to know what kind of TV to use. I have a 27" CRT with RCA, S-Video, and composite jacks, and I hooked my PC up to it using s-video and it looked like CRAP! It could only do like 800x600. What gives? We're in the market for a LCD TV, and I want to know what I should do to make picture "crystal" clear like the "TVs at BestBuy" lol. What should I look for in a LCD TV?

Rep+ to all that help.

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
Maybe go with an ATI AIW? If you do plan on geting one, get it fast because AMD just cut out the AIW team and all of their products are going to be discontinued soon.

The reason the quality wasn't good on that 27" is because its a TV, not a computer monitor
. TVs don't have that high of a resolution. If you want a really big and clear screen go with an Apple or Dell 30", their computers suck but they make good monitors

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacKz5o
Maybe go with an ATI AIW? If you do plan on geting one, get it fast because AMD just cut out the AIW team and all of their products are going to be discontinued soon.

The reason the quality wasn't good on that 27" is because its a TV, not a computer monitor
. TVs don't have that high of a resolution. If you want a really big and clear screen go with an Apple or Dell 30", their computers suck but they make good monitors

Well, yeah, obviously. But I just thought I was doing something wrong

Ehh, I dunno about the AIW cards, they seem kind of buggy from the newegg reviews. But I'm not sure.

Lol I think that a 7600GT is a little much horsepower for me, maybe something a little less expensive/powerful.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by NOS---

Get something ATI, Like an X700 or X800.

ATI is known for their image quality, but I dunno about it on a TV.

Yeah, that would be good. I'm thinking like a lower end X800.

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
What I have in my HTPC is a PNY Geforce 6200. Cheap, cool, and has composite, s-video, and component HD out. Quality on it is excellent using component to an HDTV. For TV tuner cards, I use an ATI Theater 550 pro. Very good picture, and it comes in PCI and PCIe X1 variations.

Edit: Let me find links.
Edit 2: Oh, the 6200 is AGP. Something like this would work for PCIe, and it has a passive heatsink.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdattilo

What I have in my HTPC is a PNY Geforce 6200. Cheap, cool, and has composite, s-video, and component HD out. Quality on it is excellent using component to an HDTV. For TV tuner cards, I use an ATI Theater 550 pro.

I have heard excellent things about this combo... great suggestion.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Witchfire

I suggest the Sapphire X1600 Pro HDMI. It's specifically designed for HTPCs, is quiet, works well, has AVIVO for great video quality, and is a half height card for smaller form factor cases, and for less clutter. At about $160, it's a real bargain.

EDIT (adding review links):

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6199&page=1

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/i...m?reviewid=491

That HDMI is nice, that might be the card I get.

Ok, now somebody educate me about LCD TVs. My mom doesn't want to buy a new one, so she's looking on craigslist and the 'bay for TVs. What do I want to look for in a TV?

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
Well depending on your budget, get an HDTV that supports both 1080i and 1080p, and has an HDMI connection. Having a component connection will also help when setting up a DVD player and such.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, we're really thinking about buying this viewsonic 27" HDMI TV. It's the n2751w (Anybody ever thought of that word? Viewsonic? It makes no sense...)

Can someone recommend some HDTVs? Like specific brands, stuff like that.

This is my HTPC:

Foxconn mATX board, Geforce 6100 S939
Athlon 64 3000+
1GB of Patriot value ram
Sapphire HDMI X1600
My 160GB IDE hard drive will go into this one when I upgrade to a RAID 0 config.
Zalman CNPS-7000AlCu
Sony DVD drive
Radeon 550 TV tuner

This PC *probably* won't be overclocked, the last thing I want is my mom to want me to clear a CMOS while she wants to watch Lifetime. But if I can get a 100% stable OC on low vcore, so be it.

·
Administrator
64,325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Witchfire
I suggest the Sapphire X1600 Pro HDMI. It's specifically designed for HTPCs, is quiet, works well, has AVIVO for great video quality, and is a half height card for smaller form factor cases, and for less clutter. At about $160, it's a real bargain.

EDIT (adding review links):

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6199&page=1

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/i...m?reviewid=491
I would have to agree wit this statement also. The X800 AIW will do a good job also.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman
What were you looking to spend on a new tv?
Around $500-$600 used or new.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Well I found this one its a little over your budget, but I've read good reviews on this companies tv's. They seem to give you a lot of good picture quality for what you pay.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134703181662

I would probably recommend either going to a store and looking at all the tv's they have to see which ones have the best picture. Also if you purchase a tv from a retailer you can always return it if you hate it and get your money back.

Edit: I found a list of retailers on this site and some are selling a similar tv for like $599, its not widescreeen though.

http://www.nextag.com/westinghouse-2...tv/search-html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts