Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a good Video Card for a person who plays some games on Facebook, watches videos and has a lot of pictures, etc. Not the "hardcore gaming"?

Would a Nvidia gts 430 be overkill?

This is the wrong section but what also would be a good motherboard and Intel CPU? I prefer and i3 or i5. Trying to make a cheap Pc for a friend

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedNuggeT
View Post

It's fine..

I'd recommend something from AMD though, like a 5450.

Oh ok ill check that out. I was leaning towards NVIDIA (especially EVGA's quality). Ive had some bad experiences with AMD and the PC isnt for someone who wants to fix/troubleshoot PC's

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nynn
View Post

Oh ok ill check that out. I was leaning towards NVIDIA (especially EVGA's quality). Ive had some bad experiences with AMD and the PC isnt for someone who wants to fix/troubleshoot PC's

The current 2011 drivers are just as reliable as nVidia for single GPU solutions.

Also, since he isn't gaming/heavy media encoding, i'd suggest going for a AMD CPU as well, as they are ALOT cheaper then intel chips, and he clearly isn't going to use the extra power.

NO fanboy by the way, i own mostly Intel and nVidia chips..

·
Registered
875 Posts
to be honest, just about any graphics card on the market now can do what you asked for. but yeah, the 430 is more than capable of doing the job.

as regard to cpu and mobo, what will your friend use this pc for?

·
Overclocked
3,954 Posts
GT 430 or HD5450 both can do the job.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The GT 430 is alot faster than the 5450 and will actually let you play most of today's games a 720p medium settings at a fair framerate, should you decide to play. A 5450 would be a very very bad choice in comparison, since that barely runs games that are 3 years old.

·
Banned
1,253 Posts
I think the AMD Radeon 5670 will be the best choice, Perfect for light gaming, web browsing, watching videos/movies. You can also get a 5770 for a fairly cheap price, But that is probably overkill for what he occasionally uses his computer for.

For the NVIDIA solution though, the GT430 or GTS450 is fine.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
a casual gamer turns into a gamer, why not got mid level and will be happy down the road.

·
Premium Member
7,993 Posts
Just get any CPU with an integrated GPU... The integrated GPU nowadays should be more than enough to handle any of the tasks that you are interested in doing.

It seems like the majority of the graphics requirements, based on the uses you mention, will be running Flash video/games. You don't need too much graphics horsepower for that. A GTX 430 will be future proof for a really long time.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nynn;14145771
What would be a good Video Card for a person who plays some games on Facebook, watches videos and has a lot of pictures, etc. Not the "hardcore gaming"?

Would a Nvidia gts 430 be overkill?

This is the wrong section but what also would be a good motherboard and Intel CPU? I prefer and i3 or i5. Trying to make a cheap Pc for a friend
You may want to take a look at AMD's new A8-3850 APU, which is cpu with 4 physical cores and a powerful (relative to SB) integrated gpu. That is, ONLY if this friend plans of playing facebook games and what you listed above (not sure how well it supports videos). It's a new tech but it may be worth looking into in your case. Here are some benchmarks of the integrated gpu (it should also be noted that it actually bests the 430 in some of the benchmarks here). At the very least, you'll get a decent cpu for a decent price.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguarbamf;14146408
If your friend is on a budget, why not check out AMD's new Llano chips? They have powerful graphic cards built in to them. If your friend wants a card with more power down the road, they can still purchase one!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103942&cm_sp=ProductSpotlight-_-19-103-942-_-07082011
+1 for the A8 APU. $139.99 is probably significantly cheaper than if you bought even a low-end video card and an AMD dual-core CPU.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is why it cracks me up when people say there is no value proposition with Llano. It is perfect for millions of people like this guy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts