Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In July of 2012 I purchased a Sapphire HD 7950 (3gb version).

Welp, it died on me today and so I need to replace it.

The card was $350 when I bought it, and so that's going to be my limit, although it was during a complete system overhaul so I spent $1500 in total and it was easy to justify an expensive video card.

I want something of equal or greater power and considered to be fairly reliable.

Also, is 4 years a good life for video cards these days?

It definitely did a lot of work for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Well if you can hold out a little less than a month (June 10) the GTX 1070 should be out and looks to be faster than anything else on the market currently. It should be priced right around $350. It is sounding like AMD should be releasing mid-range Polaris cards right around that time as well. That also means current 970, 980 TI, and Titan X prices are falling fast as people sell off their cards. You could probably get a great deal on a slightly used card in your price range in the coming weeks. If you really want to buy right now rather than wait a little bit I would look for a new 970 or used 980. VRAM can be a limiting factor if you want to run higher resolutions so you may want to grab one of the higher end cards with more memory if you plan to use it several years. I really think it would be best to wait til the Pascal cards release at this point if you can.

I would say 4 years is reasonable. Most cards would last at least that long before dying but would begin showing their age performance wise with new games by that point. I have a couple 670's in systems that are still in use, almost exactly 4 years later they're still going strong even heavily overclocked but they really struggle with new games even at 1080.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the ASUS Sabertooth Z77.

It'll handle the Polaris/Pascal cards right?

I haven't stayed on top of anything since 4 years ago when I bought everything.
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Your card picked the best possible time to die.

Buy a 1070. Best price/performance in the world, no two ways about it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnin426850 View Post

Your card picked the best possible time to die.

Buy a 1070. Best price/performance in the world, no two ways about it.
Right considering we know absolutely NOTHING about its performance at all, yet. Synthetic benchmarks and leaks are pure broohaha no one knows how it will perform as its a completely new process.

Id say wait a bit and see, Polaris 10 or 11 is supposed to be the same performance as the 390x for less price and way less power consumption. Def wait no need to rush as both are just around the corner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrial View Post

I have the ASUS Sabertooth Z77.

It'll handle the Polaris/Pascal cards right?

I haven't stayed on top of anything since 4 years ago when I bought everything.
Yep, you should be fine
thumb.gif


Motherboards and CPU's haven't progressed nearly as much as video cards have in the past few years. Anything Sandybridge and newer, especially with a decent overclock is still considered current enough for most things. What CPU are you using?
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post

Right considering we know absolutely NOTHING about its performance at all, yet. Synthetic benchmarks and leaks are pure broohaha no one knows how it will perform as its a completely new process.

Id say wait a bit and see, Polaris 10 or 11 is supposed to be the same performance as the 390x for less price and way less power consumption. Def wait no need to rush as both are just around the corner.
Synthetic benchmarks are underrated. The card will be great, and it IS the best price/performance ratio because Polaris is not out yet. Also, Nvidia did a pretty big price drop, I don't think AMD can compete in their financial state. I'm sure Polaris will be great, but i'm 90% sure it can't compete with the new Nvidia cards. And I'd an AMD fan, inb4 "fanboy" accusations.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnin426850 View Post

Synthetic benchmarks are underrated. The card will be great, and it IS the best price/performance ratio because Polaris is not out yet. Also, Nvidia did a pretty big price drop, I don't think AMD can compete in their financial state. I'm sure Polaris will be great, but i'm 90% sure it can't compete with the new Nvidia cards. And I'd an AMD fan, inb4 "fanboy" accusations.
Polaris is maintstream as far as i know unless 11 does very well. Polaris was never meant to compete with the 1080 though only the 1070. Its why AMD pushed out Vega. But we all know MSRP is a joke so we have to wait and actually see prices. Its not like nvidia to actually sell for msrp so wait and see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzywinks View Post

What CPU are you using?
i7-3770K which should be Ivy Bridge if I'm Googling correctly.

Thanks for the info everyone!

I should be able to hold out for a month or two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrial View Post

i7-3770K which should be Ivy Bridge if I'm Googling correctly.

Thanks for the info everyone!

I should be able to hold out for a month or two.
That's Ivy Bridge indeed. That should do just fine for a few more years, especially with a bit of an overclock. If you really want to be sure your CPU is keeping up you can run something to watch CPU usage (Task Manager or similar) and something to watch GPU usage like GPU-Z or an overclocking utility. Run those while in a game and see if your GPU is being fully utilized. If it is at or near 100% GPU load that's good. If it is significantly less but one or more cores of your CPU is consistently sitting at 100% usage there is a good chance your processor is holding your performance back by not feeding information to the video card fast enough, or just keeping up with game logic at the framerate the card can push. Even so you would still be getting way better performance than your 7950 gave you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man, this may be tougher than I thought, lol.

Everything I do is noticeably slower.

Some things are more noticeable (Diablo 3 and high end videos) while others I can detect because it's a deviation to something I do all the time (scrolling speed with multiple things happening on the screen).

I went from a 7950 to a 5670.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,457 Posts
I have another suggestion:

Some people are scrambling to sell their 980 TIs in anticipation of the GTX 1080. Pick up a used one on the cheap, I bet you could get one for $350 or less soon.

I have a 7950 that's working perfectly fine, but I might do the same thing when prices bottom out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's the best guess on when AMD's new cards are going to be out?

So the GTX 1080 will be in the $500+ range.. and the 1070 in the $350+ range... what other cards will nVidia have?

What price ranges will the new AMD cards be in? My understanding is they're trying to compete with the 1070 and lower ranges.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrial View Post

What's the best guess on when AMD's new cards are going to be out?

So the GTX 1080 will be in the $500+ range.. and the 1070 in the $350+ range... what other cards will nVidia have?

What price ranges will the new AMD cards be in? My understanding is they're trying to compete with the 1070 and lower ranges.
The polaris is supposed to compete with the 1070, everyone has there head up their *** and think its supposed to compete with the 1080, not even close haha.

Polaris is supposed to be around 300$ and be 1070 or r9 390 equivalent performance for a lot less power. Vega at the end of the year is supposed to compete with the 1080 and hopefully surpass it.

Polaris should be on sale in June not too far after announcement. And a 1080 founders edition in Europe is 790€.
 

·
Overclocker
Joined
·
11,639 Posts
Wait at least for Polaris 10 so you can see the new more reasonably priced graphic cards. Nvidia is milking the fanboys with a Fanboys Edition of 1080 right now, later with 1070, if you are not in US then the prices are absolutely horrifying for these new NV 10xx due to Nvidia milking outside US even more they really know no bounds.

For me the choice would be 1070 or Polaris 10, if the budget allows then which ever has better performance/price ratio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just checking in to see if there's any new news about a release date for the 1070 and AMD's cards.

Limping along!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
572 Posts
1070's are gonna be sold out for a while and honestly id wait for the non reference/founder editions that are $379. otherwise you'd pay $450 for a crappier version.maybe next month they'll be available.

i bought a 980ti used for $350 and i absolutely love it , it is complete overkill for me i get like 190-200 fps bf4 maxed settings 1080p and 100fps 1440p. and if i turn down AA to 2xmsaa instead of 4xmsaa im getting 50-60fps 4k.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttface420 View Post

1070's are gonna be sold out for a while and honestly id wait for the non reference/founder editions that are $379. otherwise you'd pay $450 for a crappier version.maybe next month they'll be available.

i bought a 980ti used for $350 and i absolutely love it , it is complete overkill for me i get like 190-200 fps bf4 maxed settings 1080p and 100fps 1440p. and if i turn down AA to 2xmsaa instead of 4xmsaa im getting 50-60fps 4k.
That price is a lie btw, the non founders 1070 are even more expensive then founders edition, same exact thing as the 1080. We already have prices here in France.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top