Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A co-worker asked me to repair his PC today...it's a Pentium 4 with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card...he said it's been repeatedly crashing to a black screen. I turned it on and ran it, and the card worked fine at first, except the fan doesn't spin, so the card gradually heats up until it crashes. I already tried running it with a different molex connector, and the same thing happened. Is the video card done for, or is there a fix for this problem?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What fairly inexpensive fan do you recommend for a Radeon 9800 Pro?

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome - thanks (and rep+)

·

29,532 Posts
Should run fine even with the 4 buck heatsink there. They weren't exactly the most heat-generating cards as far as I remember (unless I'm confusing it with the 9600 Pro)

·
Iconoclast
30,667 Posts
You can just replace the fan, and keep the heatsink as is, or you can replace the whole HSF.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo23451
View Post

VIO Twinkling VGA Cooler - VGA Cooler for nVIDIA, ATI, SIS Chipsets
http://store.cwc-group.com/viovgacovgac.html

That will not cool a 9800Pro adequately.

The 9800Pro ran extremely hot with it's stock cooler, and the stock cooler has at least three times the surface area of that 4 buck heatsink.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonX
View Post

Should run fine even with the 4 buck heatsink there. They weren't exactly the most heat-generating cards as far as I remember (unless I'm confusing it with the 9600 Pro)

You must be.

The 9800Pro is a ~60 watt card. That's on par with modern, lower mid-range GPUs. It was the flagship card of it's day, and really should have had a 2-slot cooler. I used to have one.

The 9600 pro used ~20w.

·
Premium Member
7,955 Posts
upgrade the part at this point in time (kinda old anyways). I think that you can also, depending on the warrenty, try and call ATI, heck who knows, they may just do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts