Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have an issue with my machine that I need some help with - any advice is much appreciated.

Sometimes when I'm playing World of Warcraft my computer shuts down randomly and won't turn back on until I flip off the switch on the PSU and then flip it back on. I've opened the case a few times immediately after this has happened before touching the PSU switch, and I noticed that the green LED on the motherboard to indicate power was still on, the PSU was only slightly warm, and the video card heatsink was almost too hot to touch. Everything works fine once I cycle the PSU switch and the machine boots normally.

The really weird thing is, I can't replicate this problem with prime95 or MSI Kombustor, which I run with HWMonitor open, even if I run them both simultaneously. Video card temperature never goes about 75 C in MSI Kombustor, and CPU temp never goes above 55 C running prime95. All PSU voltages (3.3v, 5v, and 12v) look fine in both HWMonitor and the UEFI (within .15 volts of normal).

Does this sound like a video card overheating issue or something else? Is there any way I can fix this? Any help is appreciated!

My machine:
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX gen3 R2.0
AMD FX-8370
Giant Phanteks Air Heatsink
MSI GTX 970 (twin frozr heatsink)
Seasonic X-850
Cooler Master HAF XM with all available fans
Ambient room temperature is ~73 F

·
User
2,334 Posts
PSU Shutting down and not powering up again until you switch the power switch off and then on sounds like a protection problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the reply!

What should I do about that - a new PSU? A new surge protector? I'm currently using a Tripp Lite ISOBAR Ultra surge protector that still has the proper indicator lights (grounded/protected) - should it be replaced anyway? Is there something else I should do?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It should be noted that the power LED on the motherboard stays on when this happens. The PSU isn't shutting down completely.

I just turned off vsync in WoW right before I entered the game and the machine shut down almost immediately. That's why I thought this was an issue with my video card. Weirdly, this seems to happen mostly in the city of Dalaran, where there are lots of other players. It doesn't happen when I run prime95 and MSI Kombustor, even running them simultaneously doesn't trigger it.

I have a spare Radeon HD 7850 somewhere around here, when I find it I will test the machine again. Any advice in the meantime would be much appreciated; I'm certainly not ruling out a PSU issue; I don't even know what a "protection problem" is so if someone can explain that, that would be great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts