Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I honestly am not sure where to post this but here goes anyway. I have a friend who needs a video editing rig for less than 2k. I haven't built a system in so long I couldn't help him out much. He's trying to get the best video editing machine possible.

The things he needs are:

CPU
motherboard
RAM
SSD (512gb)
PS
GPU

I'd really appreciate it if someone could take a few min out to make a quick list. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffieneKing View Post

No way should anyone be recommending buying 2 new 980Tis with new GPUs less than a month away
then you build him a rig, no point of spending $1500 on a dedicated video GPU thats **** compared anyways. Besides, the 1080 isnt that much better,

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post

then you build him a rig, no point of spending $1500 on a dedicated video GPU thats **** compared anyways. Besides, the 1080 isnt that much better,
Is all that gpu power necessary for a video editing machine? He will be editing 4k footage. I was wondering if he should go for a CPU with more cores. Completely open to your advice here.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post

Other than the GPUs its a great rig, might be better off going X99

@sintricate Does he need a CPU cooler?

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts
Yeah I'd have to agree that going SLI 980Ti is a bit OTT, just because the budget is X amount, surely doesn't really mean they need to actually hit that target, right?

CPU:- Intel 5820k - While the IPC of the 6700 previously listed is nice, you'll want more threads and cores running the workloads when editing and rendering, hence the choice of the slightly older, but better-in-this-scenario, Haswell-E chip

Motherboard:- Any X99 motherboard will do just fine - Doesn't have to be one of the flashier ones, can be one of the more subtle cheaper ones. Anything $200+ should be fine to be honest.

RAM:- 4x8GB of anything you like the look of - Again, you're not going for record-breaking clocks here, so opt for a nice 2.8-3.2Ghz set so you can make use of the bandwidth, it's not necessary to get super high frequencies, but every little helps with rendering.

SSD:- 850 Evo 512 is a solid choice, can't go wrong with a Samsung 512GB PCIe M.2. SSD for a similar price, and use one as your rendering/access drive and one as the OS, or opt for larger sizes if required. I'd usually suggest a solid 2TB+ HDD for storage, but unsure what extent of video editing and storage is required, for that, can't go wrong with a Toshiba or Hitachi 7200rpm 2-4TB (depending on needs). SSD doesn't have to be Samsung, can be Intel, Kingston, Crucial. Whatever floats your boat.

PSU:- EVGA Supernova G2 or P2 650W will be ample for any single card setup Grab a 750w if you do plan on running SLI/CF

GPU:- Now this entirely depends on which software they plan on using. If the typical Sony Vegas or Adobe, then Vegas will be better with an AMD card using Open CL, Adobe will be better with nVidia using CUDA cores.
If AMD an R9 290/290X will be just dandy, and if nVidia a GTX 970, or if you want a little extra grunt, an R9 390 or a GTX 980.

I would probably hold on a little longer if you can, and get a next-gen 1070/1080 or AMD equivalent, or even grab a second hand model until the newer ones release, to bide you by and save costs. Either way, they'll be just fine for your needs, and SLI/CF although working well, can sometimes be more of a pain with that kind of software, so some don't recommend it.

Personally, I think they'd make a good video editing rig, and throw in any decent AIO cooler if you must just to get some nice temps/clocks out of it. Swiftech and another make expandable AIO's, so you can add a GPU block if you wanted, to keep noise levels down some. Though neither are necessary.

I realise that I pretty much listed some of my rig parts, but they're solid choices, which is why I personally went for them. Obviously there are other alternatives, but that's the region of things you'll want, really. SSD take your pick, the vast majority have decent read/write and cycle life. GPU, check out This thread and take your pick from the ones in your wattage area and available in your area/Website for a good price. We're blessed with having some truly helpful, expert PSU Guru's here at OCN, so if you had questions about certain PSU's you have in, I'm sure they'd sniff it out and help, as would any of us capable of doing so.

Good luck with the build, let us know how it goes and I hope you get some good help from people here.
thumb.gif

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($369.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($85.10 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($174.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Corsair Force LE 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($115.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($61.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card ($200.00)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($82.50 @ Newegg)
Total: $1330.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-16 19:04 EDT-0400

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
I would base the build around two of these guys: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SR0KX-INTEL-XEON-E5-2670-8-CORE-2-60GHz-20M-8GT-s-115W-PROCESSOR-CPU-/281889330127?hash=item41a1e9d3cf:g:kwIAAOSwKfVXGULm

Then a dual socket motherboard, like: http://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-DDR3-Server-Motherboard-X9SRI-F-O/dp/B007HW9TBK/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1463440279&sr=1-2&keywords=dual+lga2011+motherboard

That would give you a 16 core PC as your base, and will be a lot better for video editing then a newer CPU with less core count... while still being within $500 for CPU/motherboard.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
if I were you op, I'd wait for pascal graphics cards. I'd buy everything now though, but wait for the gpu because quite frankly, my 980ti is weaker than my 700 series card by a good amount in cuda for applicatioans such as adobe. the 900 series really gimped out on that, pascal is taking it back to that. i'd quite frankly wait for pascal cards, but build now without the gpu.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts