Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
waifu for lifu
11,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
The second generation Ryzen is set to launch late Q1 2018, according to the latest roadmap presented by AMD. AMD is also planning to launch Ryzen 3 mobile APU (Raven Ridge) in the first quarter. Business-oriented Ryzen PRO mobile APUs are also to be expected early next year.

source

• Rep+
Reactions: sumitlian

·
waifu for lifu
11,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Unfortunately, not too much info other than it being official and a late 1st quarter release, but for those wanting a ryzen 2.0 upgrade its in their mindset as an option. I'm not sure if AMD can release anything that can stomp their current lineup, but i'm looking forward to see what they bring to the table.

·
Spaghetti
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post

It looks fake
Too many rumors not to be fake. I wouldn't expect massive improvements. anything more than 20% improvement in per-core performance is a pipe dream. More cores are possible although extremely unlikely.

·
Debian Dude
2,184 Posts
20% uplift is unrealistic. AMD is already nearly at parity with Intel clock for clock, and Intel struggles to eek out more than a few percent between generations. I do not expect AMD to surpass Intel in IPC.

·
Otherworlder
7,520 Posts
so basically nothing changed, this was already announced a few months back if i remember right.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

so basically nothing changed, this was already announced a few months back if i remember right.
I'm mostly interested in the mobile "ryzen gaming" chips... hopefully they are somewhat like the announced Intel one, or perhaps even bigger.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I am really putting faith in AMD that my x370 mobo will last. Ideally I want to skip Ryzen 2.0 and upgrade after Ryzen 3.0 has been out. I am fine with losing out on more new features as long as I can bios update to receive the future chip.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle View Post

20% uplift is unrealistic. AMD is already nearly at parity with Intel clock for clock, and Intel struggles to eek out more than a few percent between generations. I do not expect AMD to surpass Intel in IPC.
Oh so 20% uplift is unrealistic, but explain the massive 52% uplift from the previous generation with a 'from scratch' architecture.
wink.gif

Let's face it, Zen is a brand new thing and, like the Core series chips when they first released, this is the new big bad thing that everyone should be buying.

• Rep+
Reactions: Behemoth777

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
wheee.gif
wheee.gif
wheee.gif
wheee.gif
wheee.gif

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
My guess is IPC improvements that get very close to Intels IPC of CL and then they will fix the OC wall and allow overclocks of >4.6Ghz.
Those are my guesstimates
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemTech View Post

My guess is IPC improvements that get very close to Intels IPC of CL and then they will fix the OC wall and allow overclocks of >4.6Ghz.
Those are my guesstimates
rolleyes.gif
Very reasonable expectations. I agree, 6-10% IPC and 12-15% higher clocks for advertised gains of 30% in certain applications, 25% across the board.*

*Assuming same core count and power

·
Zen
1,109 Posts
I don't expect IPC improvements from next year's Ryzen refresh, but we will see a modest bump in clockspeed.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpjoslee View Post

I don't expect IPC improvements from next year's Ryzen refresh, but we will see a modest bump in clockspeed.
I agree. If all they did was make them 4.0ghz/ 4.5ghz/ 5ghz (base/ boost/ max OC) and add solid ram compatibility up to 4000mhz that would be enough for a solid refresh.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpjoslee View Post

Why? AMD was able to improve IPC on Ryzen by a significant amount compared to the previous gen, and that architecture is still new. You don't think there is any headroom for IPC gains with a brand new from scratch architecture on a new smaller node?

Come on... History proves you wrong sir.

·
Null
6,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth777 View Post

Why? AMD was able to improve IPC on Ryzen by a significant amount compared to the previous gen, and that architecture is still new. You don't think there is any headroom for IPC gains with a brand new from scratch architecture on a new smaller node?

Come on... History proves you wrong sir.
Because it's Zen on 12nm not Zen 2.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoxile View Post

Because it's Zen on 12nm not Zen 2.
...and? I don't see why both things can't be true. If Intel can improve IPC along with a die shrink, so can AMD.

People are just so used to Intel failing consumers for the past 2 years that they think progress isn't possible.

• Rep+
Reactions: Cpt Phasma

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth777 View Post

People are just so used to Intel failing consumers for the past 2 years that they think progress isn't possible.
Make that since Haswell, if you're talking about desktop-class enthusiasts.

Broadwell brought power efficiency improvements, Skylake not much at all, Kaby Lake made Skylake clocks possible with Broadwell IPC, and Coffee Lake has been the only notable product since Haswell (which owes much of its success to the higher clocks it allowed without chucking efficiency out the window).

Things are different in HEDT. Since SB-E we've had reasonable improvements generation after generation.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

Make that since Haswell, if you're talking about desktop-class enthusiasts.

Broadwell brought power efficiency improvements, Skylake not much at all, Kaby Lake made Skylake clocks possible with Broadwell IPC, and Coffee Lake has been the only notable product since Haswell (which owes much of its success to the higher clocks it allowed without chucking efficiency out the window).

Things are different in HEDT. Since SB-E we've had reasonable improvements generation after generation.
Yeah, you're right. Broadwell was released in 2015 though IIRC, so roughly 2 years.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,310 Posts
I am expecting performance gains. AMD said it themselves regarding Zen.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3155129/components-processors/amd-says-its-zen-cpu-architecture-is-expected-to-last-four-years.html
Quote:
While Anderson's responsible for bringing Ryzen to market-"you don't have any idea how many hours I and my team have spent on this," Anderson said-it's Papermaster who has to think of the future. When asked how long Zen would last, compared to Intel's two-year tick-tock cadence, Papermaster confirmed the four-year lifespan and tapped the table in front of him: "We're not going tick-tock," he said. "Zen is going to be tock, tock, tock."

1 - 20 of 156 Posts