Overclock.net banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'm not sure how reliable this guy is, but this is the first time I have heard this: RedGamingTech is claiming RDNA2 dGPUs will have something called 'Infinity cache' to make up for a lack of memory bandwidth. 128mb of cache no less.:

This is quite an easy test to see whether this guy has legit contacts or not, so I will come back to his content when the cards are revealed at the end of next month. He's either given us a massive scoop or he's full of it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Speaking as someone who is pretty set on Nvidia, It's going to take more then a single gen of good gpu's to push me towards buying amd for my main rig. I want to see a few good gens of competitive high end gpu's with solid software/drivers. Make competitive gpu's this gen, kill it next gen and I think they might start converting people.
Right, but anyone who's ever owned both AMD and ATI cards back in the day knows their software is always half-assed. I'm not at all surprised the RX5XXX series is still facing software stability issues. Even if AMD's RX6XXX series based on RDNA2 were to be exemplary, and go beyond what early rumors suggested the series' performance be, they'd have trouble pricing it the same as NVidia on account of terrible software, lack of distinct features that NVidia have developed, and more. Though I hesitate emphasizing NVidia's success until the 16th and 6 AM when the first 3080 reviews go up as the ticker on the review embargo expires.

·
Vandelay Industries
1,924 Posts
Ya'll emphasizing brands over products are what companies strive for. Do yourselves a favor and stop drinking the cool-aid. Changing focus from a brand name to product quality will benefit you not only in the long term but in the short term as well. Remember every brand was considered "trash" at one point. Basing product quality on past brand reputation is (to put it bluntly) dumb. But then again that's what brands count on....mindless purchasing and blind promotion.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Ya'll emphasizing brands over products are what companies strive for. Do yourselves a favor and stop drinking the cool-aid. Changing focus from a brand name to product quality will benefit you not only in the long term but in the short term as well. Remember every brand was considered "trash" at one point. Basing product quality on past brand reputation is (to put it bluntly) dumb. But then again that's what brands count on....mindless purchasing and blind promotion.
In the last 20 years, I can count ATi and AMD cards that whipped NVidia on one hand. In the past 20 years, through ATi and then AMD, any software made by RTG has always been plagued with bugs or missing features that were promised. Now, Mr. Spicy himself works at Intel and seems to be up to his old game. It'll take years for AMD to gain meaning mindshare, presuming they put out competitive products and software that just works. Prior to the big two, I'd been buying video cards since they first became available at "moderate" prices in the 90s. There is a reason I recommend NVidia even today even though a card like the 5700XT is a good card. The software is terrible.

·
To The Game
7,611 Posts
No what's dumb is not learning from past mistakes. Amd hasn't given us any reason to believe they won't over promise and under deliver with gpu's. I'm not in to gambling and I'm not going to gamble with possible issues with drivers, software and poor performance. Prove to me your brand is worth it and I'll consider it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
No what's dumb is not learning from past mistakes. Amd hasn't given us any reason to believe they won't over promise and under deliver with gpu's. I'm not in to gambling and I'm not going to gamble with possible issues with drivers, software and poor performance. Prove to me your brand is worth it and I'll consider it.
I reckon the driver/software issues are way over blown (at least in a bare bones sense).
I've run crossfire 6950s and 280xs with little to no driver/software issues what so ever.
Granted that isn't for more recent AMD GPUs but still.

What AMD do need to fix though is their video encoder for streaming. Was part of what swayed me into getting a 2070S over a 5700XT.

• Rep+
Reactions: Shatun-Bear

·
Why is it smoking?
4,000 Posts
@Tobe404 - The AMD 5700XT drivers right now are fine. The AMD 5700XT drivers from 6 months to a year ago were various levels of trash. I bought my card at launch, and I've used just about every version of the driver.The complaints at launch were legit. Frequent random black screen/signal lost/driver stopped responding errors, settings that didn't work or didn't work as expected, poor performance/stuttering in random games - the list goes on. The current drivers work fine, and the people still complaining are either outliers or are just repeating the launch issues without trying the new drivers themselves.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought this card. I have enough experience and google-fu to troubleshoot the issues and wait for proper drivers. Not everyone did. This is what caused the driver drama, and now people are just parroting it.

I am hopeful that the 6k series will ship with decent drivers. AMD has had time to iron out most of the bugs with RDNA, so it should be a smoother launch this time. With that said, there's really no way to know until we get the new cards. I am not opposed to buying another AMD GPU. For me the deciding factor will be price vs performance. If AMD ships a card with comparable performance to a 3080 (hopefully with more VRAM), at a comparable price, I'll take the risk on the drivers and buy it.

·
To The Game
7,611 Posts
@Tobe404 -
The AMD 5700XT drivers right now are fine. The AMD 5700XT drivers from 6 months to a year ago were various levels of trash. I bought my card at launch, and I've used just about every version of the driver.The complaints at launch were legit. Frequent random black screen/signal lost/driver stopped responding errors, settings that didn't work or didn't work as expected, poor performance/stuttering in random games - the list goes on. The current drivers work fine, and the people still complaining are either outliers or are just repeating the launch issues without trying the new drivers themselves.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought this card. I have enough experience and google-fu to troubleshoot the issues and wait for proper drivers. Not everyone did. This is what caused the driver drama, and now people are just parroting it.

I am hopeful that the 6k series will ship with decent drivers. AMD has had time to iron out most of the bugs with RDNA, so it should be a smoother launch this time. With that said, there's really no way to know until we get the new cards. I am not opposed to buying another AMD GPU. For me the deciding factor will be price vs performance. If AMD ships a card with comparable performance to a 3080 (hopefully with more VRAM), at a comparable price, I'll take the risk on the drivers and buy it.
6 months to a year of driver issues isn't acceptable. This is very similar to issues with a R7 2700 I used in a backup rig and xmp profiles. Xmp was totally unstable for about a year then through even bios or windows updates (can't remember which) the xmp profile became stable. These are the kinds of problems I want to see not happen for at least 2 gen before I start looking at amd for my main rig. I'm not totally against it and I have used/owned amd gpu/cpu as backup systems but I'm not willing to deal with issues like this on my main system. I don't want excuses or, "it's working well now". I want my hardware to work as intended day one with no issues.

·
Vandelay Industries
1,924 Posts
You just read what you wanted to read, didn't you? I say " don't drink the marketing cool-aid", and you say "don't believe their marketing".....It's the same thing.

How do brands prove themselves? By putting out good products. How do you know if a product is good or not? By reviewing it. By judging it by it's own merits and not by the name plastered on the side. Even brands that establish reputations for good products create duds. We've seen it everywhere. New Coke must be great it's made by Coco-Cola....Crystal Pepsi must be awesome!

Ya'll seem to think I am pro AMD or something b/c you keep inserting AMD vs Nvidia or Intel red herring into everything. All I am saying is judge any product on the merits of the product itself instead of by brand names or marketing. If you were saying to buy AMD b/c it's AMD, I'd tell you that's stupid as well.

·
To The Game
7,611 Posts
You just read what you wanted to read, didn't you? I say " don't drink the marketing cool-aid", and you say "don't believe their marketing".....It's the same thing.

How do brands prove themselves? By putting out good products. How do you know if a product is good or not? By reviewing it. By judging it by it's own merits and not by the name plastered on the side. Even brands that establish reputations for good products create duds. We've seen it everywhere. New Coke must be great it's made by Coco-Cola....Crystal Pepsi must be awesome!

Ya'll seem to think I am pro AMD or something b/c you keep inserting AMD vs Nvidia or Intel red herring into everything. All I am saying is judge any product on the merits of the product itself instead of by brand names or marketing. If you were saying to buy AMD b/c it's AMD, I'd tell you that's stupid as well.
So you're just here to make blanket statements about common sense. Don't trust marketing guys, wait for reviews. Come on man.

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,124 Posts
Double checking the date... still only 14th of Sept. Ow, the wait.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,303 Posts
I'm not sure how reliable this guy is, but this is the first time I have heard this: RedGamingTech is claiming RDNA2 dGPUs will have something called 'Infinity cache' to make up for a lack of memory bandwidth. 128mb of cache no less.:

This is quite an easy test to see whether this guy has legit contacts or not, so I will come back to his content when the cards are revealed at the end of next month. He's either given us a massive scoop or he's full of it.
I can tell you from experience that 128MB cache doesn't make up for ram bandwidth. It will help in some titles, but run out eventually, and in others it will make no difference. Even if it is tied to a separate, concurrent memory controller like my 5775c. 128MB was used for the same reason for that chip's igpu, which isn't even as fast as the new AMD apus. No way is 128MB close to enough for something at least as big as a 2080ti.
Ryzen has a lot of cache also, so does the xbox1. You can't store assets in 128MB. You can't store anything big enough to barely count towards the 8GB vram these cards will supposedly need. The other little data is already stored in smaller faster cache closer to the shaders that need it. Maybe the cache will hep with the new ray tracing hardware.

·
WaterCooler
3,445 Posts
I agree to a point. To use a car analogy, it's like people who only buy Hondas and Toyotas based on reliability and reputation from decades ago...especially with Honda. Not what it used to be.

But there is a balance. There are historical trends to be weary about. With Nvidia one has to be weary of how they price/segment and hold back until forced. With AMD we have history of hype trains that don't deliver and Navi had shoddy drivers.

I'm adopting a wait and see approach and will be happy to buy either product from either brand depending on what best meets my needs for similar budget and if there are problems or not with either side.

·
Registered
233 Posts
AMD cursor corruption is still a thing after more than a decade and the reason I will not buy any AMD gpu ever.

·
waifu for lifu
11,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #116

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,303 Posts
That's not a blower. I was duped!
Almost looks like a Sapphire design.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,174 Posts
Looks far too much like the Radeon VII cooler (in design, not athstetic), my ears are concerned.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts