Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Videocardz said:
In a technology brief, Micron has confirmed that GeForce RTX 3090 will sport memory based GDDR6X technology. Micron has supplied memory modules for GeForce graphics cards for years now, the GDDR6X partnership takes it to the next step.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 graphics card is listed on the Micron website with 12GB GDDR6X memory. Micron estimates that GeForce RTX 3090 will be able to break the 1 TB/s barrier with a bandwidth expected between 912 to 1008 GB/s. In order to achieve 1TB/s bandwidth, the graphics card would require a clock speed of 21 Gbps and a memory bus of 384-bit (21*384/8). The speed is clearly not yet set for the NVIDIA SKU, but it should be between 19 and 21 Gbps.

https://videocardz.com/newz/micron-confirms-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-gets-21gbps-gddr6x-memory

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I refuse to buy a GPU with micron memory. Not after the last 2 crapped the bed

·
Overclocker in training
13,062 Posts
Hi,
Sure won't be buying early will wait for the death count after 6 months.

·
Rig Advisor
2,010 Posts
Hi,
^This, I never buy the first iteration of anything. Way too risky.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
It looks like there will be significant differences in the memory configs of the SKUs at the top of the 30 series lineup. 24GB of 384bit GDDR6X sounds like Titan territory to me.

·
Premium Member
6,380 Posts
It looks like there will be significant differences in the memory configs of the SKUs at the top of the 30 series lineup. 24GB of 384bit GDDR6X sounds like Titan territory to me.
I tried to explain on another forum how 8-12GB VRAM isn't going to cut it for much longer. Ray Tracing tech is here to stay, and the VRAM cost associated with all of those extra off-screen assets is going to be tremendous. I hope I'm wrong on this, but I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Is this official? Has anyone checked to confirm it is indeed on micron sites?

If so it also confirms the 3090 card.

So whats going to separate the 3080/3080ti/3090 from each other? This should be intresting

·
Registered
243 Posts
I wonder why the change to a 3090. Surely it would have been a titan in any other release. I'm thinking that if perhaps AMD can match or beat the 3080ti, the 3090 might be an answer to maintain the top spot

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
This is getting ridiculous. The rumor frenzy is just a mass of confusing garbage. 12GB VRAM on a 3090? wut?

My prediction:

1.) 3080 Ti - 12GB VRAM
2.) 3090 - 20GB VRAM
3.) Ampere Titan - 24GB VRAM

·
waifu for lifu
11,130 Posts
Is this official? Has anyone checked to confirm it is indeed on micron sites?

If so it also confirms the 3090 card.

So whats going to separate the 3080/3080ti/3090 from each other? This should be intresting

Seems like the new Ti is called 3090. Naming-wise, its logical considering the performance gap. Not too sure regarding the 12g memory though. I'm expecting moar.

·
PC Evangelist
46,723 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
3080 & 3080Ti on Samsung 8nm, and the 3090 and future 3090Ti on TSMC 7nm? 3090 would get a price drop with 3090Ti release and everyone will say "this is what the 3000 series should have been, Gaaahhh"

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I tried to explain on another forum how 8-12GB VRAM isn't going to cut it for much longer. Ray Tracing tech is here to stay, and the VRAM cost associated with all of those extra off-screen assets is going to be tremendous. I hope I'm wrong on this, but I guess we'll see.
24GB is excessive for 2020. I can imagine people BIOS modding a 24GB card to disable half of it and save the 30W of power it turns into heat while sitting empty.

I expect/hope the 2080 Ti replacement to have 12GB GDDR6X. I'm replacing the card in 2 years anyway.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
This is getting ridiculous. The rumor frenzy is just a mass of confusing garbage. 12GB VRAM on a 3090? wut?

My prediction:

1.) 3080 Ti - 12GB VRAM
2.) 3090 - 20GB VRAM
3.) Ampere Titan - 24GB VRAM
The only problem with your prediction is 20GB implies a 320 bit bus, which provides less memory bandwidth than 12/24GB configurations running on a 384 bit bus. That means the maximum memory bandwidth will be higher in a 12GB config than a 20GB config given the same memory type.

·
professional curmudgeon
10,391 Posts
i'm sure the other forum mentioned allocated≠ needed?

still only NV has any ray tracing; which is only port of MS's DX12. there still hasn't yet been AMD (or later intel) w/RT. so i think it's a little early to call what VRAM requirements are necessary/more needed for RT until there is more hardware for games let alone more games.

unless you think every dev will do it NV's "rayworks" way.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
It's going to fun choosing the GPU. That Samsung 8nm vs TSMC 7nm is going to influence buyers. Considering that TSMC 7nm will yield bigger performance gains compared to Samsung 8nm.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Hi,
Buy the best, get an extended warranty if you must, and if something breaks you're covered. Unless you plan to keep the GPU a long time and dont upgrade often then i can understand some concern.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
5,970 Posts
I have had a 12gb card for 5 years now. When are they going to up the vram. I want to retire my titan XM with something with more vram.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I’m sure Micron will figure out a way to make their memory slower than Samsung.

·
Overclocker in training
13,062 Posts
Buy the best, get an extended warranty if you must, and if something breaks you're covered. Unless you plan to keep the GPU a long time and dont upgrade often then i can understand some concern.
Hi,
Warranty is already three years so that isn't the issue this is in case it just dies one day
20 series beginning with space invaders.... was not a good sign mainly why I passed

RMA insurance on a 12-1500.us item mainly is the issue it's not free plus shipping/ down time.
Only winner is the shipping company lol and I do not live to keeping then in business.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts