Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my xl2420g last week and its really not cutting it. When in gsync mode the colors suck, very little adjustments when on that engine. The classic mode is much better. That said, I was going to return it and get the LG 24GM77. I saw Viewsonic has a decent solution out also ViewSonic XG2401. Was curious your thoughts on the the Viewsonic compared to the LG

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Viewsonic is a Freesync Monitor, Your current one is a G-Sync and the Ben-Q is neither, do you need Adaptive Display tech?. Adjustments to the image should be available through the NV control panel as well btw. The LG uses PWM lighting which can cause headaches, the Viewsonic doesn't. i don't have the Lg but I do have the VS so feel free to ask any questions.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With g sync engine on the colors suck. and the horizontal lines bother me.Ive been running in classic mode engine just bc the picture is better. Figure if the viewsonic without free sync on has better picture than the benq, id consider that

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugz007 View Post

The Viewsonic is a Freesync Monitor, Your current one is a G-Sync and the Ben-Q is neither, do you need Adaptive Display tech?. Adjustments to the image should be available through the NV control panel as well btw. The LG uses PWM lighting which can cause headaches, the Viewsonic doesn't. i don't have the Lg but I do have the VS so feel free to ask any questions.
The LG does not use PWM and is flicker free. Its also easily the best 24" 1080 144hz TN panel you can buy. From my understanding the monitor has been discontinued and while there is still plenty of stock floating around, prices will surely go up in due time.

·
AMD Acolyte
1,707 Posts
I just got the xg 2401 in today and the measurements look very good for a TN panel after calibration, pre-calibration is certainly good enough for gaming I'd say. Input lag is definitely low when set to "ultra fast".

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKen8899 View Post

the input lag is WAY LOWER than the LG panel
This is impossible, but it does not surprise me that a Toms Guide review fan would post this. The LG's measured signal delay is negligible. We can argue about adding half the measured pixel response time for a total lag value, but even if this is done the total delay amounts to a whopping (sarcasm) 3.4ms (negligible).
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertymac93 View Post

pre-calibration is certainly good enough for gaming
Can you screen shot the pre-calibrated gamma results? The 1080p 144hz TN panels gamma is usually way too low (AOC G2460PF, Asus VG248QE) or way too high (Acer GN246HL and BenQ XL2411Z & XL2430T).
Quote:

Input lag is definitely low when set to "ultra fast"
Changing monitors overdrive settings usually has no perceivable and barely a measurable effect on input lag. Ultra Fast likely just adds excessive overshoot ghosting (transparent, dark and colored glow which forms around movement) which you can check for here: http://testufo.com/#test=ghosting

·
AMD Acolyte
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenacingTuba View Post

Quote:

pre-calibration is certainly good enough for gaming
Can you screen shot the pre-calibrated gamma results? The 1080p 144hz TN panels gamma is usually way too low (AOC G2460PF, Asus VG248QE) or way too high (Acer GN246HL and BenQ XL2411Z & XL2430T).

Quote:

Quote:

Input lag is definitely low when set to "ultra fast"
Changing monitors overdrive settings usually has no perceivable and barely a measurable effect on input lag. Ultra Fast likely just adds excessive overshoot ghosting (transparent, dark and colored glow which forms around movement) which you can check for here: http://testufo.com/#test=ghosting
I wasn't talking about overdrive, that is controlled by the "response time" setting and changing THAT setting to "ultra fast" does indeed add a lot of overshoot.
The "input lag" option is separate and I didn't notice any worsening of the image quality when changing it.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
Those are fantastic gamma results on par with the LG. Thanks to you we now know the Viewsonic (assuming there's no panel lottery) is the best 1080p 144hz TN panel in terms of pricing and all around performance.
Quote:

I wasn't talking about overdrive, that is controlled by the "response time" setting and changing THAT setting to "ultra fast" does indeed add a lot of overshoot.
The "input lag" option is separate and I didn't notice any worsening of the image quality when changing it.
I thought you were referring to the overdrive setting since I didn't know the Viewsonic had an input lag setting. The lag setting was likely included for marketing purposes.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I spent a few days with the BenQ XL2420G and the LG 24GM77. I even changed monitors during a Division session to see the difference. Without hesitation, I can say the LG smoked BenQ in everything but gsync. Even than, while I would love the LG to have gsync, the flickering and garbage clarity & colors were enough for me to pack the benq up and send it back. The benq was $337 direct from benq and the lg was $299 on amazon. The LG color wise, sharpness wise and gamma wise was exactly what i was looking for in a new monitor. Add in 1ms RT and 144hz rr, I gladly gave up gsync.

All those test and specs might show the benq is better. But to my eyes, it was as clear as day. The second the LG turned on right out of the box I knew the benq was going back. I should have listened to Tuba months ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:

This is impossible, but it does not surprise me that a Toms Guide review fan would post this. The LG's measured signal delay is negligible. We can argue about adding half the measured pixel response time for a total lag value, but even if this is done the total delay amounts to a whopping (sarcasm) 3.4ms (negligible).
I'm not a fan just passing on information since the VS is relatively new to the market. Wouldn't you agree that as time passes, quality improves on the panel? The LG has been out for awhile and with adaptive-sync for future-proofing (if you really want it when you upgrade) wouldn't the VS be a viable option? The guide also does give a basic review, I don't live by it, so please don't have a heart attack (no sarcasm intended).

He could have also checked Amazon reviews, they have been pretty good as well..... (especially if he isn't going by test specs)

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Looks like this viewsonic is a bit better than the XB241H i recently got. Only manages 794:1 contrast when calibrated, otherwise everything else is pretty good.

Default @ 144hz it was getting a little north of 900:1, but unfortunately dragging red/green down 7 ticks each to hit 6500k took a toll.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Quote:

I thought you were referring to the overdrive setting since I didn't know the Viewsonic had an input lag setting. The lag setting was likely included for marketing purposes.
I think the LG 24GM77 also has a lag reducing feature they call DAS (Dynamic Action Sync) and if the tomshardware review is anything to go by then a similar feature on this Viewsonic is not as gimmicky. For the LG absolute input lag was reduced from 32ms to 18ms with DAS on and they claimed to not have noticed any downside to enabling it except that they no longer could use the motion blur strobe. I don't think this Viewsonic has any sort of blur reduction mode so its probably best to run the highest input lag reduction setting on it 24/7.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post

Thought i'd chime in here again and let y'all know that there is a review piece for this monitor now available over at toms: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/viewsonic-xg2401-24-inch-freesync-monitor,4504.html

According to their measurements as well as the fact that this monitor comes with Freesync this is THE 144hz 24" TN monitor to buy hands down.
Seems very identical to the LG. Maybe a little bit better? Viewsonic seems gives up on built in motion blur for some free sync at 48-144hz.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts