Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was debating on whether to go for water cooling or this TEC unit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835702001

The reviews on the web all recommend it for it's ability to drive down temps but the cons I keep seeing are the loudness of the fans. I was wondering if any gamers out there are actually using this cooler? The loudest element in my system now is my front intake fan(Global Win 120mm) and it is rated at 19db. Although it is probably louder than that. If possible, can you try to put the loudness of the fan in perspective? Can the fan be swapped out for something quieter like a 92mm Arctic Cooling fan?

Can I be correct in assuming that since the peltier turns on only when needed, condensation won't be a problem?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Definitely going to be loud, but TECs are great.

Chances are, the TEC doesn't operate at temps low enough to cause condensation, anyway. I forget the exact ratio, but a TEC only cools the processor to about 30 degrees C lower than the plate's hot side. Given a simple heat sink and fan, it would only be a little below room temp.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxcoffeexX
Definitely going to be loud, but TECs are great.

Chances are, the TEC doesn't operate at temps low enough to cause condensation, anyway. I forget the exact ratio, but a TEC only cools the processor to about 30 degrees C lower than the plate's hot side. Given a simple heat sink and fan, it would only be a little below room temp.

From what I've read, this unit is better than air and not as good as a good WC cooling system. BUT, it's dummy proof and easy to install. So, not a bad deal if you got the cash and are a little fearful of WC systems.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I was thinking about getting this but the only con is that you have to have decent exhuast(which you probably should have anyways) since TECs are known to get REALLY hot. Also, since they have a pretty big power draw due to the nature in which they cool, I'd usually recommend for you to make sure you have enough power for it to operate but with a 600W Seasonic, you should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have this and I love it! The monsoon is a monster!

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
If I bought it'd have fresh air ducted straight to the HSF. That in itself could drop your temps by up to 10°C... Especially since the cold side of the peltier chances do drastically with a change in temp on the hot side.

·
Registered
234 Posts
lol, it is interesting to see how sometimes in these old threads, most people liked/prefered the product discussed yet are now using something different, does it mean that, in this particular case, Monsoon II is not the way to go? Cuz i'm looking for something that's "better than air and not as good as a good WC cooling system."

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I have the Ultra Chilltech TEC which is very similar and it runs pretty decent on my Q6600 B3. My temps are 30c idle and about 50c at load.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottb75 View Post
I have the Ultra Chilltech TEC which is very similar and it runs pretty decent on my Q6600 B3. My temps are 30c idle and about 50c at load.
Ambient and how are you loading it? I have seen much higher temps with that unit on a quad.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
That is exactly the same thing as an Ultra Chilltec, and for the money, you'd be better off with high end air, it costs less and performs equally, when you start to overclock the TEC won't be able to handle the load, sure you'll get nice idle temps, but it's load temps that matter. I wish that I hadn't gotten mine, knowing then what I know now. Go high end air for half the price or put the 150 towards watercooling.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Agreed, the appeal of TEC air coolers is the amazing idle temps, but the reality is the T Delta flat out sucks

As mentioned, a Tuniq Tower, Ultra 120 Extreme, or the older Thermaltake Sonic Tower (can I still recommend this thing without getting flamed?? lol) would be better options

Unless you want to take the plungle into Water Cooling, which can be done on a budget for $150-$175

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
It's probably not so bad for a dual core, and it's not as bad as I expect it to be, it's handling my 3.6GHz overclock on my Q6600 G0 with decent enough temps, though high at load, it manages. It's more of a cost versus performance issue, it does work to some degree, but that doesn't justify the cost.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RPIJG View Post
It's probably not so bad for a dual core, and it's not as bad as I expect it to be, it's handling my 3.6GHz overclock on my Q6600 G0 with decent enough temps, though high at load, it manages. It's more of a cost versus performance issue, it does work to some degree, but that doesn't justify the cost.
Agreed, wish I didn't buy this thing, now I have to spend the time to sell it and get something else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts