Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

SpaceShipTwo (SS2) and its mothership, WhiteKnightTwo (WK2) herald a new era in commercial space flight with daily space tourism flights set to commence from Spaceport America in New Mexico after test program and all required US government licensing completed.

The unveiling represents another major milestone in Virgin Galactic’s quest to develop the World’s first commercial space line providing private sector access to space using an environmentally benign launch system for people, payload and science. The spaceship draws on the experience developed during the successful flights of SS1 in 2004, which won the Ansari X-Prize for completing the world’s first manned private space flights. The SS2 design will be refined and completed during an extensive test flying program to commence shortly, and it will be an entirely new vehicle capable of carrying up to 6 passenger astronauts and up to 2 pilot astronauts into space on a sub-orbital flight.

Source

I want to go to space

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
What is "sub-orbital"?

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GodofGrunts
View Post

What is "sub-orbital"?

I believe that means outside the atmosphere but not far enough out to maintain an orbit.

edit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by citat3962
View Post

It just means you won't do a full revolution of the earth. Before one full revolution you dip back into the atmosphere for landing. It's only considered orbital if you maintain the same altitude for a full revolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-orbital_spaceflight

I was close

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TnB= Gir
View Post

"sub-orbital flight"

Meh.

I want Orbits.

Yeah plus theres no point in space travel when theres no planet to really land on except earth... Thats like going for a car drive around the block and back to into your driveway.

/waits for moon to be liveable.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MAD_J
View Post

Yeah plus theres no point in space travel when theres no planet to really land on except earth... Thats like going for a car drive around the block and back to into your driveway.

you dont think it would be cool as hell to see the earth from space? or just to go to space in general. are you one of those people who doesnt like to sit in a window seat in an airplane? i would personally love to be able to see our planet from space, but for now google earth will have to do.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It would be cool but it's not something I would pay the obviously substantial amount to do unless I had money to wipe my ass with or I had done every other thing just for kicks and space was the only thing left.

Actually it'd be higher up on the list than somethings. Money would be the major limiting factor.

I expect a ride on this will cost in the neighborhood of 500,000 - 750,000 USD or more per seat.

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MAD_J View Post

It is an intermediate technology, and will greatly help in getting us off this planet.

Did people say no to pac-man because the graphics weren't realistic enough? No, and its development and subsequent genre helped to drive more and faster computers.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trueg50 View Post
It is an intermediate technology, and will greatly help in getting us off this planet.

Did people say no to pac-man because the graphics weren't realistic enough? No, and its development and subsequent genre helped to drive more and faster computers.

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
looks kind of hard to land that thing after the little ship drops. i cant wait to see the first flight.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
If only I were a multi-billionaire. I would buy one for myself.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Quote:

So you're saying that F1 racers are living incredibly dull, pointless lives?

They need to do two things now:

1. Orbital flights
2. Make it a single craft fully capable of both space and aerial flight

I think NASA needs to pay attention to this. Instead of sending a million pounds of rocket fuel into the atmosphere for every launch they should just start launching from high up in the atmosphere.

·
Banned
12,158 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

1. Orbital flights

I think NASA needs to pay attention to this. Instead of sending a million pounds of rocket fuel into the atmosphere for every launch they should just start launching from high up in the atmosphere.

NASA manned craft also carry a much heavier payload.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
That craft couldn't go into orbit even if they wanted it to. Those are turbojet (possibly turbofan) engines. They require AIR to work.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Quote:

All the guests will be protected from the desert cold by designer space jackets supplied by PUMA

Space - the failure frontier

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Quote:

View Post

1. Orbital flights

NASA maned flights aren't just carrying passengers, they are carrying massive payloads. Also, the fuel is injected into the liquid tanks DIRECTLY before flight because they are cryogenic and start to boil off immediately (that is what all that "steam" is on the launch pad before launch). Getting a plane to hold all of the liquid hydrogen and oxygen, the space ship, and the rocket boosters themselves while maintaining a safe and effective launching mechanism would be near impossible.

The plane below is already at it's limit. Getting all of the above to work will not happen!

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by joman2055
View Post

you dont think it would be cool as hell to see the earth from space? or just to go to space in general. are you one of those people who doesnt like to sit in a window seat in an airplane? i would personally love to be able to see our planet from space, but for now google earth will have to do.

It would be cool to see earth from space. I always take the window seat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trueg50
View Post

Yes its intermediate I realize that... All I said was theres no planets/space ports to land on, so no point in space travel (yet) because there is a lack of destinations. I don't see how pac-man and space travel coincide? I see kinda what your trying it say...

Quote:

View Post

I never said anything about F1 racers?!? My sarcasm detectors may be off?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trueg50 View Post

The lack of a +rep button almost made me cry.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:

Yes its intermediate I realize that... All I said was theres no planets/space ports to land on, so no point in space travel (yet) because there is a lack of destinations. I don't see how pac-man and space travel coincide? I see kinda what your trying it say...
Orbit is its own destination. In orbit you can perform experiments and create materials that are impossible in a gravity field. You can build things like telescopes and habitats, satellites, or even factories, without the restraints of gravity. And it's a lot easier to build and launch space ships from orbit than it is to do so from Earth. Orbit is the literal first step into space.

Saying orbit isn't that big a deal is like saying the Wright Flyer wasn't that big a deal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts