Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i was looking to speed up a virtual machine I have, I have heard that putting it on my boot drive will make it run slower, but is that true even of my set up f3's in raid0. Right now its on my raid1 array of 1TB green drives.

Also would accelerating 3D graphics really help anything since im not gaming on it?

And any suggestions Im giving it 3 Gb and 4 cores at 3.88 right now so im pretty sure its just the hard drive speeding causing the hang ups.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
more ram will speed it up, and maybe a dedicated drive, other then that there is not much you can do. i have 4 3.7ghz core and 1500mb of ram and its ok, but i do feel it being sluggish when i resume from stand by or copying stuff over. i noticed that videos play better when 3d is enabled. so with that much ram you shouldnt have any problems, and if you have raid for your VM you're good to go, i mean it should be way faster my VM.

edit: just reread you post. yeah you do notice a slow down when your using your OS drive for VM, especially when you're copying stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well darn. If only ssd would cheapen up so I can get one to have my VMs on.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just curious what kind of speed you are looking to get out of your VM's?
I currently have a number of virtual machines all running from a secondary drive I have.
Most I just give one gig of RAM and one core and they run pretty good. I just mostly just use them for testing though.

Just curious what you were looking to get out of them.
Also, what are you using to do your virtual machines?

When I was in college I used to run upwards of 3 VM's on my laptop which had Fedora Core (6 through 10) on it and they used to smoke. It was a pretty under powered laptop to to do vm's, but it powered through them nicely

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts