Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, lately I've been messing more with my system than anything else. I finally migrated from Arch Linux to FreeBSD (which wasn't that hard, the hardest part was transferring all my data from ext4 drives to my ZFS Raid-Z). I finally got a change to install the new VirtualBox (compiled it from ports) and installed Windows 7 in it. I didn't know that VirtualBox now has seamless mode!? It's amazing, I just set my Windows 7 in seamless mode on Workspace 4, and whenever I need to use Windows, I got to Workspace 4. It's great! I need it for online classes, I'm also transcoding all my WMA Lossless music to FLAC so that I can listen to my music.
smile.gif

And did I say VirtualBox was fast? It absolutely screams! I don't recall it being this fast, man, Oracle really has improved it. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with seamless mode, it just works so well.
smile.gif

·
Storage Nut
21,138 Posts
I <3 VB
wubsmiley.gif

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I've found seamless mode to be really buggy (in the latest few releases), at least running an Ubuntu guest. It seems to lock where the screen won't refresh, and it's a bit of a nightmare to kill it. I think it's something to do with Ubuntu or their guest additions, as I've had good success with it running other distros (but that was a little while ago).

Seamless mode is an awesome idea though, and I didn't know you could assign it to a workspace! Makes sense though, great use of it!
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
Purely anecdotal evidence this, but I've found VBox to be a lot more stable on FreeBSD than any other OS (including other UNIX's).

It's a great little desktop app, but there's better virtualisation solutions available for servers (eg Xen, ESX/i, KVM + Qemu / OpenVM)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Runs great for traditional desktop stuff, although I think Xen or VMWare probably have better 3D support.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I did my college thesis with VB
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post

Agreed, VB is pretty hawt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

I <3 VB
wubsmiley.gif
wubsmiley.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemicalfan View Post

I've found seamless mode to be really buggy (in the latest few releases), at least running an Ubuntu guest. It seems to lock where the screen won't refresh, and it's a bit of a nightmare to kill it. I think it's something to do with Ubuntu or their guest additions, as I've had good success with it running other distros (but that was a little while ago).
Seamless mode is an awesome idea though, and I didn't know you could assign it to a workspace! Makes sense though, great use of it!
smile.gif
What release are you running? Haven't run into any showstopper bugs really, but I don't do much. I've been using it for dbpoweramp (to convert WMA Lossless files) and online classes, other than that that's it lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger S. View Post

Me too. It's great to beta WIn8, Chromium OS. Very small thumbprint.
thumb.gif
I completely agree, I use it to test new OS's and distros all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

Purely anecdotal evidence this, but I've found VBox to be a lot more stable on FreeBSD than any other OS (including other UNIX's).
It's a great little desktop app, but there's better virtualisation solutions available for servers (eg Xen, ESX/i, KVM + Qemu / OpenVM)
Definitely, I think KVM or ESXi (which is now vSphere Hypervisor) are great server solutions. VB is awesome as a desktop visualization, easy to set up, easy to use.
smile.gif
I would of used KVM if it was available in FreeBSD however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothen View Post

Runs great for traditional desktop stuff, although I think Xen or VMWare probably have better 3D support.
Not so sure about 3D support, maybe VMware, but I've found VB excellent on 3D. Then again, I'm not gaming on it so, YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknownothing View Post

I did my college thesis with VB
biggrin.gif
Wow, that's amazing! What degree?
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Lawnchair View Post

Seamless mode is really cool, and I've also found it generally works better on Linux/BSD.
I've been lucky that VB just worked for me excellently on all platforms, but this is the first time I've ever tested seamless mode.
smile.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts