Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Right now I own a copy of the Vista Business edition.Less fluff & stuff I feel I didn't need.I ran it for a few months & was bummed that my benchies were lower than when I used the same rig with XP.
A good friend of mine who owns his own Comp. repair business said that it was because I was using the business version that I had poor performance.
He's suggested I run " Vista Ultimate Edition " and that it caters more towards the gamers & what not.
Im not completely sure I buy this theory.

Anybody have some thoughts & opinions on the matter..??

Thanks in advance:

nismo

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
I disagree with your friend. To make simple VHP has some multi-media goodies. VB has some network and security features, VU has both plus a few goodies.

They don't run applications different.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
vista ultimate does not merit an upgrade from the business edition. they are both the same core product and the promised ultimate "extras" havn't really merited the extra costs of the version.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I think performance would be different from 32bit vs 64bit.

Business version has a lot more stuff than home premium.
Vista Ultimate is nice, but there are other ways around to get it, I think? I think there's a way to get Dream Scene with third party software? I don't use it anymore, but it is cool, but no reason to get it. And it doesn't mean it's better in performance, in my opinion.

I disagree with your good friend like ASUS_Mobile said.

·
Overclocked TI-83
671 Posts
I know Ultimate adds some features, mostly media center type ones, but I've never heard anything about it having any less performance than any other of the editions. I don't know what would be different, the core OS is the same.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Appreciated.... :)
I was thinking how could there be any difference. And actually, I still think im better off with business because it doesnt add all the fluff & stuff that I really dont want.

I would like to run 64 bit.But, I like to game quite a bit & am concerned 64 bit would not let me play games like Crysis,UT & the like.
Any of you guys have info about the ability to run games in a 64 bit version..??

thanks again:

·
Registered
761 Posts
i am currently running vista x64 ultimate and i love it... (windows 7 is better) games run fine and sometimes yes you may get better benches w/ the ultimate because of some of the added features compared to vista...i actually even get better than xp benches.. not sure why... but personally use business for now and wait till windows 7 comes out... IMO hope that helps

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent,

Nice to know 64 bit can run all the games we love. Thats a serious bonus.I downloaded Windows 7 & i do like it better than Vista. I got the 64 bit & it really seems snappy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweet, thats not too far off.
Right now I shelved Vista business & went back to good ole XP.Im on my "back up" PC right now.I have my main gamer rig torn apart for a nice makeover project.Was thinking just what should I run when I get it back together.
I live on the West Coast USA. I was at a store called Fry's this afternoon looking at the newest games { Left 4 Dead,Far Cry 2,Dead Space & the like } & everything was still running Dir.X 9.0c.
Sure would love to see DX 10 working in some of the games.It's the main reason for me to go to Vista or Windows 7.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts