Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way I can upgrade from 32bit to 64bit?
I know you can't upgrade it directly.

I was wondering if I could clean install from Vista to Win 7.
Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,860 Posts
You can clean install from any OS to windows 7, simply format the partition and install Win7, or install on a free partition.

Look at the chart below to determine if you can upgrade.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,308 Posts
Clean install is the only way. And a clean install is not an upgrade, you lose everything. There is no way to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit without losing everything.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,798 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by weidass View Post
Clean install is the only way. And a clean install is not an upgrade, you lose everything. There is no way to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit without losing everything.
1: Get an external HDD
2: Back up the most important files
3: Clean install
4: Put the files back to whatever the HDD letter is that you use
5:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know how to clean install but i heard a rumor that windows disabled clean install on upgrade cds

can anyone verify this?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,699 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by stupidcha
View Post

i know how to clean install but i heard a rumor that windows disabled clean install on upgrade cds

can anyone verify this?

That's pretty much wrong.

If your upgrading from say Win 2k or XP Pro to Win 7 home edition, your forced to do clean installs. Upgrading from Vista Business to 7 home, you got option to either do clean install or upgrade in place. You'll be forced to do a clean install nevertheless from a 32-bit os to 64-bit os.

I know this since both my copies of Vista and 7 are retail upgrade editions.
 

·
The Computer Guy
Joined
·
6,484 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by stupidcha
View Post

i know how to clean install but i heard a rumor that windows disabled clean install on upgrade cds

can anyone verify this?


upgrade dvd are locked,can't use them to do a clean install
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:


Originally Posted by AMOCO
View Post

upgrade dvd are locked,can't use them to do a clean install

thought so... thus i can't really go to win 7 64bit unless i have vista 64bit right?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,860 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by stupidcha
View Post

thought so... thus i can't really go to win 7 64bit unless i have vista 64bit right?

Not by upgrading, but you can clean install to your heart's content.

Backing up your files and clean installing the OS is, in my opinion, a good thing to do every now and then anyway.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMOCO View Post
upgrade dvd are locked,can't use them to do a clean install
No there not, there's been many a hacks to get a clean instal from an upgrade media. It's not against TOS either as it doesn't break any real rules. Since your allowed to upgrade, the only option being a clean install, your allowed a clean install.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
There is no way of directly upgrading between the two operating systems. In my situation I'd either backup all my wanted data onto an external HDD or onto an extra backup partition. And then I would format the windows drive/partition with a bootable format program then I would re-install windows and transfer my wanted data back to where I need it.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top