Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just installed oem vista 64 bit on a 35gb partittion and made another partition for the rest of my HD(300gb HD). it only has the main partition with windows on it listed and i cant seem to find a way to access the other partition. is there a program i need to d-load to format it or something else i can do? i tried booting from the vista cd to format it from there, its already listed there but i cant format it.

this might be alittle off topic, i blue screen randomly. im wondering if i need to flash my bios since im using an am3 cpu. im not sure that its supported, or it could be why its runnning unstable. there was a bios update for cpu support version 1901 i believe, its the mobo and cpu in my sig.
also, in computer properties, it says my cpu model is unknown. it knows its amd and 2.8gh, but it doenst know its a phenom2.

·
Registered
184 Posts
So out of your 300gb harddrive, you have a 35gb partition in which windows is installed?
If so, click on start
right click computer
select manage
Computer Management window should appear
On left pane, click on Disk Management
Right click on unallocated space
select new partition

After that, the rest of the drive is partitioned you should be able to access it

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fantastic, ty sir. takes forever to format:swearing:
im gonna flash my bios and see if that helps with my stability issue.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Without disk managment software Windows will long format the HDD, and on XP make the allocation blocks at a horrid 4KB by default. Why folks prefer using partition software to adjust the size for the best disk performance and less waste (I'm currently in the same setup, 300GB unalloted as I reformatted) and using 64KB blocks (standard seems to be 512KB).

You can use the defrag program that came with Windows to get the average data block size of your data, and use that to size the blocks.

For software there's Partition Magic; Symmatec's Ghost; and Acronis Disk Director (which I use).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok well i got my bios flashed and it has my cpu registered now. ill try the partition software momentarily. right now im trying to update my graphics card drivers. i d-loaded the 64bit drivers but when i go to install it it says im using a 32 bit os and cancels the operation. any ideas on that one?
edit: i verified it is actually vista 64 bit.
edit2: it says i using the 32 bit uninstaller.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts