Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys. im new to this particular forum. im hoping you can help me as i was referred by a COD4 gamer (i dont remeber his name) after telling him about this particular problem.

i got a brand-spankin'-new vista install. (had xp but reformatted due to a virus. but that doesnt matter right now.) i also got the 8800gtx card with the latest driver. everything ran well - UNTILL i (in a spur of the :swearing: moment) pressed the vista's (in games folder) compute my pc's base score... that yielded the all-dreaded aero and probably some other things. since then i get messages about my video driver "stopped responding and recovered". i turned aero off. the error remains. before this awful mishap i didnt have this problem. (system restore is not an option right now, as some things go off the map).

can anyone plz help - i found no help googling the problem. everyone's giving different solutions: bad memory stick (which it obviously ISNT), cooling, new drivers (which they are), etc.

thank you.

·
OOF
4,916 Posts
Have you tried CLEANING your drivers, and tried the latest ones? Uninstall them, clean the drivers using Driver Cleaner Pro, restart the computer, and install the new ones. Maybe you haven't done that.

Second, if you are getting the Nvidia dreadful error, just have to ask is your card overclocked at all? It could sometimes be happening due to a unstable card.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by FieryCoD View Post
Have you tried CLEANING your drivers, and tried the latest ones? Uninstall them, clean the drivers using Driver Cleaner Pro, restart the computer, and install the new ones. Maybe you haven't done that.

Second, if you are getting the Nvidia dreadful error, just have to ask is your card overclocked at all? It could sometimes be happening due to a unstable card.
no overclock, no. never.

will try cleaning - how - where do i get the cleaner?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i havent tried it yet - but i got several questions: 1st of all vista isnt listed as supported OS, 2nd (is there any malware in that prog?), 3rd - and this makes sense - i read that nvidia can change their software anytime and the cleaner may not know to clean absolutely everything right?

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i restored my system to a couple of days ago (before this stupidness happened) so the base score went 1.0 again. still the same prob. aero is off. reinstalled (without cleaning though) the nvidia driver. still prob. though more rare but exists. this's ticking me OFF!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i remember having this exact same problem the first time i had vista "out of the boX" on this pc. (since then i've been working on xp as i reinstalled having major compatibility problems.) some compatibility problems still exist but sp1 is much more stable. before it i had sonstant BSODs. oh well.

(uninstalled video driver. went to safe mode. checked for nd... files in system32/drivers folder. reinstalled.) so far so good. if problem reappears someone on the dell forum recommended trying a beta driver released just last week.) http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...0.43_beta.html we'll see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts