Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,<br><br>
I finaly have cobbled a system back togeather after having to give my X my system.<br><br>
Now I installed xp sp2 pro on the system then upgraded to vista this went fine now here is the issue.<br><br>
The OS will not boot unless there is a bootable cd in the drive. OK i know every one is going to tell me to change the boot order. But this is where it gets weard...<br><br>
if you dont touch anything (meaning when it sees the Bootable DVD) and you wait it then boots to the os.<br><br>
OK let me now tell you how i set up the hardware.<br><br>
1. I installed a DVD burner as the primary drive on IDE chanel1<br>
2. I installed a 10 gb IDE drive as slave on Ide chanel 1 on the same cable<br>
3. I installed a 300 GB SATA drive on SATA chanel 0 set as primary<br><br>
The bios is set up as folowed<br><br>
boot order : DVD-HD-HD<br><br>
in advance options the board is set to Combo to recognize the IDE and SATA<br><br>
Now when i installed the SATA drive I uesd the manufacturer partition as instructed.<br><br>
When i installed the first operating system XP SP2 the os requitred the smaller 10 gb drive to be formatted so it could wright some files to it before it could install the os to the 300 gb sata drive. Once this was done i upgraded to Vista.<br><br><br>
Ok some thing i am going to try tonight<br><br>
1. seperate the ide chanel drives by placing the dvd on the second IDE channel by its self.<br><br>
2. Switching the DVD and IDE drive as primary and slave<br><br>
3. God help me start from scratch without the 10 gb drive.<br><br>
I get off at 6 pm pst so any help befor then will be appreciated.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
come on speak up yall Need assistance

·
Registered
274 Posts
<a href="http://www.overclock.net/linux-unix-mac/" target="_blank">Linux</a><br><br>
I gave up too. Sry.

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
I'm pretty sure its the DVD being primary on IDE 1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts