Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Yet another reason why I won't be buying Vista until I absolutely have to. Not to mention the fact that Vista is going to limit the number of hard-drives that the key can used with. From what I read in Maximum PC (I'd quote it but I'm on my little sis's laptop) PC upgraders are screwed if they want to transfer that copy of Vista to their new HDD or reinstall it with that new motherboard. That is absurd! :-\\

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by binormalkilla
View Post

Yet another reason why I won't be buying Vista until I absolutely have to. Not to mention the fact that Vista is going to limit the number of hard-drives that the key can used with. From what I read in Maximum PC (I'd quote it but I'm on my little sis's laptop) PC upgraders are screwed if they want to transfer that copy of Vista to their new HDD or reinstall it with that new motherboard. That is absurd! :-\\

what? i heard that they had removed the transfer limit...

so i think you can install it as many times/computers as long as the other computers with it arn't online. i think

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
Quote:

The high-end graphics and audio market are dominated entirely by gamers, who
will do anything to gain the tiniest bit of extra performance, like buying
Bigfoot Networks' $250 "Killer NIC" ethernet card in the hope that it'll help
reduce their network latency by a few milliseconds. These are people buying
$500-$1000 graphics and sound cards for which one single sale brings the
device vendors more than the few cents they get from the video/audio portion
of an entire roomful of integrated-graphics-and-sound PCs. I wonder how this
market segment will react to knowing that their top-of-the-line hardware is
being hamstrung by all of the content-protection "features" that Vista hogties
it with?

Well, I'm not happy. Lol. At least it seems ATI gets it, there are numerous quotes from ATI voicing their concern that all these stupid things Microsoft is making hardware vendors do is only making drivers more complicated, increasing CPU overhead (when MS claims Vista was going to reduce it) and most importantly making everything more expensive.

The worst part I think is that Vista encodes and decodes every frame of video sent to the pagefile, slowing down playback, but not more important things like credit card numbers or your PIN (Personal Identification Number) that may be stored on your computer
I'd much rather have a hacker access frames of what I'm watching than my credit info, wouldn't you?

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Quote:
The HFS process has another cost involved with it. Most hardware vendors have (thankfully) moved to unified driver models instead of the plethora of individual drivers that abounded some years ago. Since HFS requires unique identification and handling of not just each device type (for example each graphics chip) but each variant of each device type (for example each stepping of each graphics chip) to handle the situation where a problem is found with one variation of a device, it's no longer possible to create one-size-fits-all drivers for an entire range of devices like the current Catalyst/Detonator/ForceWare drivers. Every little variation of every device
type out there must now be individually accommodated in custom code in order for the HFS process to be fully effective.
I wonder if this is why nVidia hasn't released 8800 drivers for Vista yet...

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinhead-227
View Post

I wonder if this is why nVidia hasn't released 8800 drivers for Vista yet...

Exactly what i was thinking when i was reading the article

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like my XP Pro I got years ago.

I made my own quote: "Vista was a barrel of honey into which Mr. DRM took a little ****, and now, its like they say:a barrel of honey and some **** equals a barrel of ****."

--based on a Russian proverb

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by postaldudeleo
View Post

I like my XP Pro I got years ago.

I made my own quote: "Vista was a barrel of honey into which Mr. DRM took a little ****, and now, its like they say:a barrel of honey and some **** equals a barrel of ****."

--based on a Russian proverb

Hah qft.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was actually thinking the same thing, but as far as I udnerstand, the unified shader programming would be tough bordering on impossible to get into Win XP. It may also be that that is a statement generated by Microsoft marketing...

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I've got some questions... Where is all of this performance-robbing software? When I was running Vista (went back to XP because my 8800 doesn't have drivers) the performance was on par with XP, which is good compared to the crappy drivers that have been put out so far. And what exactly do they consider premium content? When I watched regular DVD's the quality was exactly the same as in XP, and maybe even a bit smoother. So I'm guessing anything HD would be considered premium content. What about games? Do they recognize premium content as anything above a certain resolution? If so, Vista will fail miserably... I'll have to wait and see if all of this pans out to be as bad as it's made out to be. I'm glad I read that article, though, because now I know what to watch for.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I thought operating systems were for the user to operate the computer not for the OS to operate the user......

I dont see how its microsoft's buisness what media people run or what they do with it

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pencilo
View Post

I thought operating systems were for the user to operate the computer not for the OS to operate the user......

I dont see how its microsoft's buisness what media people run or what they do with it

It's not their business. This is why they're doing it:

Quote:

The only reason I can imagine why Microsoft would put its programmers, device vendors, third-party developers, and ultimately its customers, through this much pain is because once this copy protection is entrenched, Microsoft will completely own the distribution channel. In the same way that Apple has managed to acquire a monopolistic lock-in on their music distribution channel (an example being the Motorola ROKR fiasco, which was so crippled by Apple-imposed restrictions that it was dead the moment it appeared), so Microsoft will totally control the premium- content distribution channel. Not only will they be able to lock out any competitors, but because they will then represent the only available distribution channel they'll be able to dictate terms back to the content providers whose needs they are nominally serving in the same way that Apple has already dictated terms back to the music industry: Play by Apple's rules, or we won't carry your content. The result will be a technologically enforced monopoly that makes their current de-facto Windows monopoly seem like a velvet glove in comparison.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
hmm im using vista business retail and so far, uh its been far less complacent then xp has ever been. Also this is a little off topic, but the defrag in vista is like on par with diskeepers defrag, its freaking amazing.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
This is extremism beyond extreme. M$, the MPAA and RIAA seem to forget that theres a Bill of Rights - well wait, they know its there, but they try to erode it with oppressive actions such as the Digital Millenium Act. Lets all just stick with XP and Linux and watch regular DVDs. Who needs hi-def when we've been watching stardard-def content for like, what, 50 years? Especially when you get stuck in "virtual prison" just so you can watch hi-def content.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts