Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So yesterday I installed a new Q9650 to replace my E6600. I have enjoyed it so far. It is awesome. I have used this site for reference and research before so I thought I would ask for some help.

Yesterday I thought I would attempt to OC my new Quad. I was able to hit 4.0 GHz, which was my target, without a hitch. Till I booted into Vista. Froze up on me. Tried XP and was able to run Prime95 for 8 hours without any trouble. Tried safe mode in Vista and it worked but I still cannot boot into Vista in normal mode. I then redid my OC by lowering it 100 MHz at a time till I was at default speed and could not boot into Vista till I hit 3.0 GHz.

I was able to get a stable 3.2 GHz out of my E6600 so why doesn't Vista boot with anything over 3.0 GHz? Thanks.

My settings were:
FSB @ 1778 MHz
RAM @ 800 MHz
CPU @ 1.368 V
FSB @ 1.3 V
RAM @ 2.1 V

My system:
Q9650 currently at 3.0 GHz
ThermalTake 120 Ultimate
Evga 780i
Geforce 260 core 216 in SLI
6 GB Corsair Dominator
Vista Business 64 bit SP2
XP Pro SP3

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The first thing to do is to clear your cmos and such so your bios has default settings, then see if you can boot into vista with everything at stock speeds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by nubz View Post
The first thing to do is to clear your cmos and such so your bios has default settings, then see if you can boot into vista with everything at stock speeds.
I did that before I tried to OC and currently I am running at stock speeds.

Is there a way to fix without reinstalling? Its such a pain and hassle.

·
Registered
186 Posts
it happens when a failed o/c during bootup and freazes depending on the os u was booting up at the time of the freaze it corrupts the boot.ini or certain startup files, its happened to me more times than i can remember
more so when ram timings is changed.

edit*yeah sometimes u can use the repair facility in the later versions of microsoft dunno about linux i have yet to play around with that

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I tried to repair using the disc but that didn't work so I reinstalled and it worked. Thanks for all the help. I just wish there was a better way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts