Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Wife's laptop, has a 40gb windows, 180gb data drive, (C: / D: )

I've shunk D: to 140, easily. but I can't extend C:

I've tried to get a few apps to load, ie partiion magic, and some aoenis or something one. No dice.

I need one that isn't a trial, will extend C: with unallocated disk space. Simply that.

Can anyone help me? She has it at the brink of 1gb free on c: , can't update, uses her personal laptop for work (legally) and such. I'm trying to be preventative and safe...

- Le_Loup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just tried Gparted, Parted Magic from Yumi via usb boot, and both are choices, both good installs, but won't load, black screen on laptop, msi...
Trying hirens next..
 

·
woot
Joined
·
2,620 Posts
acronis migrate easy...free 15 day trial that is fully functional.

have used it multiple times to copy off my ssds so i can do a secure erase. it couldnt get any easier

although, i dont know if you are going to be able to extend the partion over to another physical disk. it will let you create a partition and copy to the unused space though. will also makke it bootable for you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sli_shroom View Post

acronis migrate easy...free 15 day trial that is fully functional.
have used it multiple times to copy off my ssds so i can do a secure erase. it couldnt get any easier
although, i dont know if you are going to be able to extend the partion over to another physical disk. it will let you create a partition and copy to the unused space though. will also makke it bootable for you
Basically C: and D: on laptop = same physical I can pick up in my hand and stare at it all day harddrive.

I can't even get linux to boot, I keep getting...

controller never released inhibit bit

And i'll see if I can download Acronis onto it... might help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So after fighting with acronis, was almost able to do it, then no..

Basically this happened.

D: drive, say was 182gb, trying at beginning or end of it, to shrink to 142gb. Tried rebooting, lock up. Force shut down, force boot up. Back to square 1.

Tried the combo, D: to either way 40gb, or 4gb. And also add that to the c: drive. Seemed visually possible...

Rebooted as it requested, and kablammo, freeze on boot. Force shut off/boot up, back to square 1.

Tried some variants of this, no luck.

I have moved her page file (3gb) to d: drive partition. This has freed up now a total (after clearing up excess temps etc), total free = 3.5-4.5 ish. (didn't look, but it counted to or just above that).

Ran ccleaner fully, that 30+ pass thing. Took a bit, even the freespace wipe, but helped barely.

IF you can think of any override feature way to do this... I'm all ears. Boot from thumb, external cdrom, etc. I'm more then willing to try.

My end game that I can see... If the wife lets me in several months... Rebuild with win7, etc... Partition as needed, buy her an external. Explain / hook up end of night, leave alone. (ie, it will sync at 2am, any or every night she plugs it in, bam perfection, nearly no issues)....

Or... new laptop. It's honestly, my op, an oversized coaster, but it works for her needs...

If there is any other options, i'm all ears.

- Le_Loup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogschd View Post

i use this for windows 7
might work for you
http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm
I tried that one also, sadly the laptop must had a hdd lock on the image for her vista home basic.
frown.gif
Which basically locks out partition changing of the C: drive due to image setup... the darn thing is, she won't let me rebuild the laptop, with win7 and fix it for her to make it even more awesome... as right now, it's sitting at 3-4 gb free, maybe 4.5 after she's done with it... oi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
If you have the install DVD, you can save everything to an external then delete the two partitions then reformat everything as a whole.

Also, have you tried to disable hibernation and paging file yet?
 

·
CONES!
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
Sounds like you need to repartition the drive and do a fresh install. Maybe put windows 7 on it this time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,416 Posts
What you want to do can be done in computer management, or with a linux CD. The HDD lock will not lock the partitions on the drive. Now depending on where the data is in the secondary partition you may need to copy it all off. In computer management you can shrink and extend drives, if there is data between the partition and the free space on the drive it will not allow you to extend over it.

The easiest way to acheive what your trying to do would be the following. On Drive D: copy all the data to an external drive. Delete the D partition, Extend the C: partition, recreate and format the D: Partition and copy all the data back from the external drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le_Loup View Post

I tried that one also, sadly the laptop must had a hdd lock on the image for her vista home basic.
frown.gif
Which basically locks out partition changing of the C: drive due to image setup... the darn thing is, she won't let me rebuild the laptop, with win7 and fix it for her to make it even more awesome... as right now, it's sitting at 3-4 gb free, maybe 4.5 after she's done with it... oi
:|

well.. best of luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by van13330gg View Post

If you have the install DVD, you can save everything to an external then delete the two partitions then reformat everything as a whole.
Also, have you tried to disable hibernation and paging file yet?
Disabled the Paging file, but she uses hibernation annoyingly.. I moved said page file to the D: drive.. Considering removing page file and buying her a 4gb rage XT usb, by Patriot, for a readyboost drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman5293 View Post

Sounds like you need to repartition the drive and do a fresh install. Maybe put windows 7 on it this time.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
I wish, Sadly she's finikey about that, (wife that is), I know entirely how to do it, and then some. But... She wants to wait several months, alot of work related stuff, grant season, etc etc... Plus we're moving in a few months possibly, hopefully... So when she does "give" me it... I'll be doing hours of backups, and just 1hr of setup.. (equivilantly)... And it'll be awesome...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relevant Wing View Post

What you want to do can be done in computer management, or with a linux CD. The HDD lock will not lock the partitions on the drive. Now depending on where the data is in the secondary partition you may need to copy it all off. In computer management you can shrink and extend drives, if there is data between the partition and the free space on the drive it will not allow you to extend over it.
The easiest way to acheive what your trying to do would be the following. On Drive D: copy all the data to an external drive. Delete the D partition, Extend the C: partition, recreate and format the D: Partition and copy all the data back from the external drive.
I can't wait to try this, in several months. The laptop is a mini netbook / notebook sorta transitional pos... It has no cd rive. Just hdd, ram, sysboard, etc, and the vga out, with 3 usb, power, and headphone/mic + a webcam that isn't physically attached properly inside...

When trying to run "live" launches of ANY linux, well ubuntu, (32/64), redhat, fedora, mint, etc. Basically I get alot of error's that keep going up in numbers, and it never loads. It's very strange...

- Le_Loup
 

·
Totally New to OCN
Joined
·
10,627 Posts
Heyy Le Loup, that really sux, im sorry to hear..

I wish there was a way to do this, sadly i believe others are correct in the idea that the only way to get this done is to just wipe the thing clean and repartition it

However, I will ask a nifty IT Programmer I know about it, see if he has any idea

So you having issue with Booting to UDB Drive?

Tiny linux etc no worky?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
36 Posts
Almost sounds like you might have some issues with the memory as that's where these programs tend to load themselves onto. Are you creating a bootable USB drive to load up these programs?
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormX2 View Post

Heyy Le Loup, that really sux, im sorry to hear..
I wish there was a way to do this, sadly i believe others are correct in the idea that the only way to get this done is to just wipe the thing clean and repartition it
However, I will ask a nifty IT Programmer I know about it, see if he has any idea
So you having issue with Booting to UDB Drive?
Tiny linux etc no worky?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyudsjk View Post

Almost sounds like you might have some issues with the memory as that's where these programs tend to load themselves onto. Are you creating a bootable USB drive to load up these programs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Have you done this to make the Live usbs?
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
I'm using "Yumi" to make said bootable drives, on any 8 or 16gb patriot thumb drive I have. They've worked in multiple pc's, and laptops, still do. This one laptop, my wife's, simply it doesn't get to a live load. It lets me choose it, start to load it, then just has issues. More specifically...

Pick a # from 1, going up to 100,000+

controller never released inhibit bit

frown.gif


- Le_Loup
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top