Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my computer was running xp pro 32 and 64 bit with no visual problems. as soon as i installed vista 32 bit it started giving me headaches. the screen would flicker on and off for a split second as if im changing resolutions. when i turn off the fancy crap in vista i get a different type of flickering when i move windows around. black horizontal bands flashing and its annoying. i turned aero back on and it stopped. the only thing now is the monitor going on and off as if im changing resolutions. and it only happens in vista.

i also checked my graphics card clocks...

right now with no games running and regular one color wallpaper,
core clock: 301
shader clock: 602
memory clock: 100

when i open a video or agame they jump to what theyre supposed to be. again, this is only in vista. i even updated drivers but hasnt worked.

specs, e8400, gtx260, p35-ds3l, 4 gigs ram, silverstone 750, xfi xtremegamer.

also when i am in game the flickering stops. it only happens to the desktop

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Have you just installed vista and found this problem? If so and your sure your hardware & drivers are installed cleanly and working ok. I would possibly try reinstalling Vista after formating again just incase it a bad install, It does happen.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its my 4th install because i was playing around with stripe size on my raid 0 addon card.

im not completely sure i have done a clean install of the drivers. i go into safe mode uninstall the nvidia drivers but as soon as i restart back into safemode to use driver cleaner vista installs the drivers. i cancel it and then it says installation complete and ready to use lol. tried to use driver sweeper but it gives me an error in safe mode.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
If I remenber correctly you have to run Driver Sweeper as Administrator by right clicking on it.

When I'm installing new drivers all I do is... Uninstall Nvidia & Physics drivers with Windows control panel. Then I chosse NOT to let the system restart and I use ERASER to delete the Nvidia Folder in Drive C:. After that I'll reinstall the latest drivers and restart.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just did what you mentioned. after i restarted i ended up at 640x480 resolution with no display driver. evga precision didnt work either. no hardware support message. then windows auto installed the nvidia driver again and asked me to restart. restarted again and im at 1920x1200 and precision works.

does that happen to you too?

also the screen hasnt flickered yet.. im crossing my fingers

edit** flickers just started.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Vista will automatically try and configure it's own drivers for your card innitially however they are only the native drivers that come with Vista.

You can disable this temporarily by going to Control Panel > System > Advanced > Hardware > Windows Update Driver Settings and select Never Check!

Then follow the previous proceedure for taking out the drivers again. Once windows restarts...Install your own 182.08 drivers and see how you get on.

If it works out alright don't forget to turn your driver settings back to ASK ME etc settings.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'd perhaps try reinstalling Vista If I were you as its worth it once it's up and running properly, and IMO better than XP. I've had no trouble at all with vista premium and Ultimate x32 & x64bit on many systems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts